Notices

Quick Question

Old 09-08-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quick Question

Hi everyone,

I have been coming to these boards for a few years now with every good intention to get sober. I have made it the longest ever since my drinking career began, 70 plus days, big thanks to everyone on this board.

My question to you is when did you finally start to feel somewhat "normal"? I mean in terms of overall well being....I know we all have different issues and ailments that we are facing but in general. I feel pretty good right now and am pleasantly surprised...I just wonder how long it will take before all that damage I did to myself really starts kicking in...thanks for reading =)

~Jade
AKA Rebecca
Old 09-08-2009, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I'm amazed by how resilient the human body is, considering what we put it through. The only way to tell for sure is to go to your doctor, tell him your concerns, and let them do the relevant tests.

I was worried sick about my liver, it hurt etc. It doesn't anymore and my tests came back normal (only 30 days after I stopped drinking).
Old 09-08-2009, 02:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well.

I think it took at least a few months for me before I started to feel good about myself and my life. It took me three years to hit my bottom, so I knew I couldn't fix things immediately.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys!!!

I went to my doctor after 60 days and my liver tests came back great, which shocked both myself and my doctor!! LOL My cholesterol was high but I can manage that...I feel pretty good honestly, anxiety is low and at bay and my cravings are few and far between but when they hit they hit hard...I guess I am just amazed, like you said, at how our bodies can heal.

What I am experiencing now are the flashbacks. I close my eyes and they start flashing, from dumb things I did wasted to a rape that occurred. I haven't thought about these things in years and they are suddenly resurfacing. I have an appt. with my therapist tomorrow so we can dish about this, maybe they are just unresolved and I need to work through them. Any thoughts?

~Rebecca
Old 09-08-2009, 04:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like Anna it took me at least three months to feel 'normal', and a little longer than than that to 'trust' the feeling if you get me.

I had a clean bill of health too and I drank all day everyday for the last 5 years of my drinking....and heavily for 10 years before that. I may yet have a price to pay down the road but I'm grateful for the last two years of good health

I'm glad you're going to see yr therapist. I think thats a great step, Rebecca
D
Old 09-08-2009, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dee, i think you hit the nail on the head. I am not "trusting" what I feel!!! I haven't felt normal in years and this is the first time I am feeling normal. I was always such a hypochondriac drunk...Of course none of that scared me enough to stop, i would just pick up to mask whatever I was feeling. I guess I am feeling "normal" and I am just not sure what to think of it..I like it and it's a great feeling but this is gonna take some time....sort of scary thinking I am really staring at myself....thanks everyone for reading...

HUGS,
Reb
Old 09-08-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Reb, I'm so happy for you!!! You've come so far from those first few days we chatted in June - I feel proud to know you

I think it's a good idea to talk it out with a therapist - as well as on here. Just thinking things like this through, without dwelling on them seem to help the most. I think the others gave the best advice as it came from their personal experiences. And what they've shared has certainly given me some hope; I hope it helps for you too

I wish you the very best Reb; keep doing what you're doing!
Old 09-08-2009, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I'm a duel diagnosis addict so it took my well over 3 months before I began to cope with my emotions. My physical health was better sooner. For me its a ongoing process of learning how to keep an emotional balance.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Originally Posted by Jade19 View Post
Thanks guys!!!

I went to my doctor after 60 days and my liver tests came back great, which shocked both myself and my doctor!! LOL My cholesterol was high but I can manage that...I feel pretty good honestly, anxiety is low and at bay and my cravings are few and far between but when they hit they hit hard...I guess I am just amazed, like you said, at how our bodies can heal.

What I am experiencing now are the flashbacks. I close my eyes and they start flashing, from dumb things I did wasted to a rape that occurred. I haven't thought about these things in years and they are suddenly resurfacing.
I have an appt. with my therapist tomorrow so we can dish about this, maybe they are just unresolved and I need to work through them. Any thoughts?

~Rebecca
Congrats on the 70 days!
Yup, those flashbacks are what you did not have to face when you were drinking and now you are going to have to. The great news is that you have a therapist to guide you in dealing with those feelings and thoughts. And dealing with stuff sober is SO much easier than when we are drinking. I stopped getting that overwhelming panic when I had to face stuff. Now I just take one step at a time, one day at a time.
You are doing great!!