Notices

Day 2 and new

Old 09-06-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 and new

Hello. I am new here, but not new at getting this sober thing right. I have done the 21 days in a facility, have been on a waiting list for nearly a year for a highly recommended facility. Today for me is only Day 2. Day 2 for me, is the hardest.

I woke up 2 days ago, trying to piece the night together from before. Luckily, i hadn't been driving, and i was at home. But, my boyfriend came home from work, and was really ticked off when he saw what i had consumed, and how much of a puddle i was. Which, in turn, caused a really big fight, and because i am such a stubborn ass when i drink, i ended up sleeping in my back seat, with a bag of clothes and frozen food. Of course, i woke up with a splitting headache, and it took a few hours for us to sit down and talk about things. I would be lying if i said that it was the first time we had this discussion. But, it sent me right back mentally to when i was in rehab doing my 21 days. I checked out to soon, and i know this now. This conversation, with him, and in my head, made me of course want to drown my sorrows, but i did not. What i did do?? Alot of thinking.

I realized again how much i have screwed up alot of things in my life because of alcohol. My friends and family are luckily still here for me, but i have a hard time letting them in. I am swimming in debt, because i have not been responsible with my money. And, my first thought this morning, on day 2: I am 32 years old, and i have wasted so much time trying to hide inside a bottle. I want another 32 years here, at least, and I really, really, want to get this right.

It is very frustrating, to battle this. I want to be "normal". Today, in search of something to keep occupied and try to be "normal" and get passed day 2, we went out to the movies. I can't remember the last time I did that sober. It was fun. But the minute we got back home, I began to find it very difficult to keep busy, and not think about drinking. Good thing for me, too, our stores close at 5 today. And tomorrow is a holiday.

Thank you for letting me share this. I have read alot of threads on here, and there are many inspirational things. I want to stay on a sober journey, and I hope that this site will be helpful.

If anyone here has any helpful hints on how to keep busy, I welcome anything.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us and good for you for making the decision to live a sober life.

It IS hard and it takes patience, because it's almost like learning how to live all over again, but you can do it.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Welcome Onelifeonly!

I too am pretty new at this sobering up thing. Right now I have 9 days, which is the third longest time in 20 years, and I'm not too far behind the longest.

Day 2 is not fun. I agree. I have a similar problem with restlessness, but in the early days my mind wasn't all there--it's about half now--and I would do something like play freecell for a little while, get up and go for a walk around the block, come back and clean half of the bathroom, then try to eat something. Basically I just did a lot of little things one after the other, repeating myself as I felt like it. Lot of walking, after I could walk sort of steady.

Honestly, I don't know exactly what else to say. There's a sticky at the top of this forum of things to do, but most of them involve family life or are hard to do on the second day, like reading, when you have no focus and no attention span.

Good luck!
Old 09-06-2009, 02:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello One, welcome to SR. Also well done for admitting that you need help, that's the first step.
As Thirtybubba said, there is a 'Sticky' that has loads of suggestions, but can I just ask you what are your interests/hobbies? What are you or have you been into? Do something that will distract your mind that you have enjoyed doing in the past, like watching a movie with your b/f or draw?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Take care
Old 09-06-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome onelifeonly, glad you're here
Old 09-06-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome onelifeonly
I'm only half-way through day 5, so you have my complete empathy! Day 2 was terrible, and, for me, day 3 was as bad as day 1. I am with bubba on this - keep doing little things, nothing that will make you frustrated. In other words, you might not want to start a jigsaw puzzle :P if your joints and muscles are steady, then walking is a great suggestion! Deep breaths; SR is a great place to be for you right now
Old 09-06-2009, 05:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome onelifeonly

I remember Day 2s .

I tried to keep it simple - 'I will do anything but drink today'.
It's simple but not easy.

This is a great board - if nothing else you could do worse than keep checking in here

Hope to see you around some more
D
Old 09-06-2009, 06:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you everyone so far. I will definetely not try a puzzle. We are about to take the dog for a walk, so, this is another good thing. I will be coming back tomorrow for day 3. So thanks to you all again.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Today is Day 3. I feel suprisingly good, and my spirits are good. I made a healthy lunch, and now I am working on a good late dinner. I have found a liking for grape soda pop, and pickles???? Whatever works, I guess.

I feel quite proud of myself, also. The computer had some technical difficulties with a cord. I had to do some major untangling, and routing of wires. (all of which before, would of course required a drink to calm down) Instead, when i did get extremely impatient, I walked away and grabbed a glass of water. I somehow managed to repair the jack, and well, hey!! What do you know. lol.

Anyway, I hope that my positivity today might inspire some other people.

Thanks for reading.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day three has always been the hardest for me, onelife. Those feelings of anxiety and restlessness are the worst. Getting past them is hard but I know it can be done. The sticky that was mentioned is a good way to keep yourself busy. Print it out and post it somewhere so that you can easily see it. Keep doing those things and stick close to SR. Check out the arcade games here on SR as well. Perhaps take up a hobby such as drawing or painting. Good luck and thanks for sharing.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just don't drink one day at a time. And if a day is too long, don't drink for the next hour or minute. Get thru each day the best you can. Have you tried any AA meetings? They can be a great source of inspiration and help in staying sober.

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-08-2009, 05:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community...

I do find AA is an awesome adventure in living sober.

Good to know you are feeling better
Old 09-08-2009, 06:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
KCB.com/justfortoday :-)

Welcome OneLifeOnly

You're doing the right thing by keeping busy. Have you thought about going to Alcoholics Anonymous? I have nothing but praise and gratitude for AA as it really has saved my life. I believe that you will walk into a meeting and feel right at home. You'll learn that it's ok not to be "normal"...what is normal anyway ya know?!

You are so welcome to this site and please try to stay sober. Just for today - just try and get to midnight and then you're into another day. It's hard I know. I am 15 months sober and while I'm enjoying my sobriety and meetings etc I get bad days when my head is out to get me. That's where meetings are so good. I am heading to one tonight and I feel a bit better already because I know that I am going. I have over 40 people in my phone from AA alone. How amazing is that!

I'm here for you - as are a lot of people on this site. I don't envy you being young in sobriety but you know what I'm so proud of you because the early days are difficult. I can't promise it will be easy but I CAN promise it will be worth it.

There's AA speaker tapes online that you can listen to so you can get a feel of what meetings would be like. If you just google "aa speaker tapes" you'll find them.

God Bless and sending you lots of sober hugs!!
Old 09-08-2009, 06:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

onelifeonly welcome to SR, a lot of great suggestions so far.

I have done the 21 days in a facility
One question on what you said above, did the rehab you go to suggest anything after you left there for you to do?

I know while I was in detox they told us over and over again that if we wanted a chance to stay sober we sholud go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor. That is what I did when I got out of detox almost 3 years ago. I only go to 2-3 meetings a week now and I help other alcoholics stay sober along the way.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

day 4

well, i just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has responded so far. I am not quite sure how to reply to each person, one at a time: still working my was around. It is great to read all the suggestions, and feel the support. Today is Day 4. And i feel terrific physically. I have not had a headache since before day 1. Today, I rediscovered the joy in walking my dog. I did not rediscover the joy in squirrel chasing, however. lol. At first I felt a little agitated, but I had to remember that its a new experience for both of us again. All day, I kept busy. And it felt good. I took different routes, so as not to pass the booze stores, and I found my irritation is getting a bit less. To everyone recommending AA, I am going to go to my first meeting tomorrow. I need to get the list, but I know there are many meetings across the city. When I did check out after the 21 days, they recommend that you do a follow up, 12 hours per week, within their facility. I look back now, and I realize that I did the wrong thing by not following through. I made excuses and fell right back into what I fought so hard to fix. I don't think I was ready then. The program itself was 90 days, and I chose to leave at 21 days. And now that I do think about it: I found many things wrong with their program. It can't be that wrong- they help tonnes of people. So I was wrong, for sure.

I can't turn back the clock though. One day at a time. If I get overwhelmed, I will take it minute by minute. As for now, I feel a good sense of accomplishment and I really really like the clear head.

Now, If i could just stop craving food, it would be great. lol.

Thank you all again, have a great nite.