Notices

Restless

Old 09-05-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I completely understand Cath! Please hang in there and stay strong. Pace if you have to! I spent my first hours dry pacing, sitting at the computer, and getting up and pacing again. It might help with the breathing too.

I'll be thinking about you!
Old 09-05-2009, 07:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
aka Glenna :)

I really want to drink right now. I can't stand all these feelings or all this clarity. I would call somebody, but I feel like I've almost lost the power of speech or to make things come out making sense. I'm exhausted and anxious at the same time. It's like there are two addictions going on inside of me, and it feels like maybe I should just give into one to stave off the other and not try to deal with them both at the same time. Crazy, I know.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Its called picking up the 1000 pound phone and asking for help. We have all been there so no one is going to judge you. Get as many in your circle of support and use them. This is a hard time you are going threw but it will get better. There is No going back!
Old 09-06-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cath1029 View Post
I have been trying to work as hard as possible to keep my apartment. I am on a severe time crunch. It is exhausting to do this in combination with all of the above and staying sober, but these are the consequences I have to deal with. I feel like I've spent the last 3 years in a coma and am just now waking up and wondering what the hell happened. I have no idea who I am and don't recognize myself. A few close friends have said they miss the "old Cath," but I don't remember her.

Last night, one of the friends I met through AH and became close to called me high on crystal meth and was rambling and sounded psychotic. I ended up just hanging up the phone in the middle of it because it was too much for me to handle. I realize I have made these friends in the last 3 years that live a certain lifestyle that I once would have considered abnormal, but now is all too familiar. No wonder my lifelong friends can't relate to me anymore. I have done things in my recent life that I once never would have dreamed of. I miss having morals and values and sticking by them. I miss caring about myself and those around me. I miss having genuine friendships and not just being a user or life sucker.
I don't know anything about "AH" but I that quote up there from your post really rang a bell for me right now. I hear ya' on this one. I can relate entirely. Five or so years ago I had some close-knit friends who really cared about me and a girlfriend that knew me quite well and was always tough on making sure I was clean. This is back when I was still me. Slowly I gave them all up for the crowd I could "relate to" more, and of course with that came the drugs and the alcohol, in copious amounts. I lost, hurt, and even betrayed a lot of good people that I'll never have back in my life again. I spent the next four or so years of my life pretty much high/drunk and doing stupid and dangerous things with people who didn't really care about me or themselves.

And of course, none of those people are in my life now, as I'm making an effort to clean up. For addicts, you're either completely consumed by that lifestyle, or you're avoiding it like the plague. That whole "moderation, dabble here and there" ship has sailed for us. I try to remind myself of that when my phone rings or there's a knock on the door, or an Instant Message popping up. For many addicts, such as me, it's pretty easy to be lured back in. It is, in a way, a brand new life when you sober up after so long. It is unsettling and at first it is lonely. I'm there right now. But these are wake-up calls that we've put off and set up for ourselves, and we need to wake up. It shakes the very foundation of our lives and we need that. I'm just beginning sobriety again now and I'm in that now. It's that weight that hangs on you, if you don't pay attention you'll be drunk again before you even could decide. It's hard, it sucks, and it's worth it.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:58 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

THis too shall pass. This too shall pass. This too shall pass. This too shall pass. This too shall pass. This too shall pass. This too shall pass. This too shall pass. This too shall pass. This too shall pass. This too shall pass. This too shall pass. This too shall pass..............................................
.................................................. ........................................
.................................................. .................................
.................................................. ..................
Old 09-06-2009, 08:52 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
aka Glenna :)

Yes, I'm feeling the loneliness a lot now between the two worlds that you described. My old friends can't relate to me anymore, and I have to stay away from the new friends who use and live such a shallow lifestyle. It has left me not knowing what my own values are anymore. I can't remember.

I am white-knuckling these last few days all by myself, as AH is gone and my kids are gone and it's just me here in this cottage. I have been going to meetings every day, but the other 23 hours can be pretty tough. Lots of feelings have surfaced that make me anxious and make me want to drink, because I am so used to numbing them, but I'm trying to make myself just feel it this time in the hopes that I can work through it that way.

AH sends the occasional text or calls, but I have not answered. He is part of the sickness that I have to stay away from. Somebody once told me that loneliness is like kryptonite for me, and that is true, so I have to be very careful not to give in to that. I have to try to remember that I really am not alone as HP is here with me, and hopefully I will receive guidance on where to go from here.