Notices

Antabuse

Old 09-04-2009, 09:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse

Any experience/stories/advice on this drug? The psych at the rehab wants me to take it (cause I relapsed during the program), but I told him no way, so now they are even more convinced i will relapse again. I got enough damn pills I have to take already! I told them to watch A Clockwork Orange, and they'll understand why I don't want to take it. I think it undermines what recovery is actually all about. Why not just give every alcoholic Antabuse and shut down all the rehab clinics and AA meetings??!!

Hit my first AA meeting tonight, going to two tomorrow and one on Sunday.

Thanks for listening, everybody!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Hi, dabears.

I've never used Antabuse, but there are people on here who have stories of success with it. And I don't think they give it to you forever, but I may be wrong--so you'd have to learn how to want not to drink anyways. I don't know, though.

Good luck whatever you choose. Congrats on being off to a running start with AA. I just never could--*yet* before anybody says anything.

But keep at it, dabears. We're all here. Some days more than others, but...

Old 09-04-2009, 09:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The last few months has left me scared, seeing how easily and swiftly my alcohol use spiraled into uncharted territory, for me at least. I've been prone to these 40 hour straight binges where I don't eat or sleep, just drink. Getting in fights, drinking at work. All things that seemed absurd just a year or two ago quickly became my norm. I'm still working on the whole "powerlessness" aspect of it... but I met some really great people at the meeting tonight, they were very cool and supportive. AA is kind of a blessing, and some doctors concede "If you actually are an Alcoholic, AA is your only hope." to avoid one of the 3 inevitable endings of alcoholics who continue to drink and dont seek treatment: Prison, Insanity or Death.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, um, those first four sentences of yours sound alarmingly familiar...

Real glad to see AA worked out so well for y'all. There are *a lot* of people in this forum who have been helped by AA.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well... I'm HOPING it helps/works, as I've only been to one meeting so far
Old 09-04-2009, 10:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, that's better than thinking it won't. That whole positive attitude thing, you know. I hear it works. Me, I'm too thick skulled to try most the time, so I gotta respect anybody who does.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used it for a few months, it kept me away from the booze but i made the mistake of not beginning a program of recovery at that time so ended up coming off the pills and going back to drinking.

If i were you i would not make too many judgements on your situation or the path to recovery at the moment, get to the meeting and treat what they say as gospel and do it...or get much worse then go and do it then? Hope you go in ready for your sake, good luck:-)