SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   positive bubba (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/183769-positive-bubba.html)

thirtybubba 09-06-2009 04:09 AM

NewBeginning, sorry it took me so long to get back, but you forgot to mention that site serves two purposes. It is also highly entertaining. Within one mile of me there are 14 groups I can join to become a millionaire/own property/invest and PROFIT!!!!/etc for a low start up cost--that's just on the first page. There are also weight loss clubs, wine tasting clubs, martini mixer clubs, burlesque even--it's late night tv... There are a couple I might actually be interested in, I'll check them out some more tomorrow. One I might really like, but I can only imagine I'd need to drive to these locations and that's just not possible till January, so I'll have to try some of the others. I need a picture of myself.

tigers13 09-06-2009 04:43 AM

ok bubba, I know you already said this and explained it, but I'm going to reiterate it anyway...I can only speak for myself, but can tell by others postings that we do care about what you do.

Now, one thing that really helped me a lot when I was pretty new in my recovery was to power walk...I'd usually take a dog or two with me too. I had to stop about a year into it because of some major physical problems. I'm thinking about getting back into swimming...get's the heart going and is a no impact sport. I would just find something that is continuous. Oh, and one thing I've always heard, is get a physical by your doctor and make sure they can tell you if is a good thing for you to do and that you're body is up for it.

Your doc could also give you other ideas to try...and just keep trying until you find something that feels right for you. :You_Rock_

tjp613 09-06-2009 04:55 AM

Hi TB - Sorry to be out of touch, but I have been reading many of your posts!

Being the master of your own day and destiny is actually a very good thing. I have so many people depending on me for one thing or another...and it's quite exhausting most days. Maybe God is giving you this time to focus on you. When the time is right He will send an angel to you. Remember, there is a reason for everything and even if you don't understand it now, you are right where you are meant to be. You are growing.

As for what to do with your time, I would highly suggest you try to find a charitable organization that you can give your time to. I know transportation is the biggest problem but maybe you could carpool. Whatever organization you choose might be able to hook you up with another volunteer.

did you know that many dog/cat shelters do not require a specific time commitment? All you have to do is show up when you have time and take the dogs for a walk! The dogs rarely get more than 20 minutes outside of their cage per day. The kitties just need some good lap time. Also, there are many 'private' shelters that are smaller--maybe their owners would be willing to come pick you up!

I've had a rough summer myself but I recently signed up to volunteer for an organization that I've ALWAYS wanted to work for. The training requires a big time commitment but I'm doing it anyway...and I am loving every single minute. The greatest benefit is getting me out of my own head. I'm getting kind of sick of my own head! LOL

I'm praying for you!

NewBeginning010 09-06-2009 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by thirtybubba (Post 2356120)
NewBeginning, sorry it took me so long to get back, but you forgot to mention that site serves two purposes. It is also highly entertaining. Within one mile of me there are 14 groups I can join to become a millionaire/own property/invest and PROFIT!!!!/etc for a low start up cost--that's just on the first page. There are also weight loss clubs, wine tasting clubs, martini mixer clubs, burlesque even--it's late night tv... There are a couple I might actually be interested in, I'll check them out some more tomorrow. One I might really like, but I can only imagine I'd need to drive to these locations and that's just not possible till January, so I'll have to try some of the others. I need a picture of myself.

Haha when I said they have a group for everything... hmmm burlesque :lmao

Sometimes people share rides if they are going to a hike or an event somewhere (post in the RSVP section). Some of the larger groups have a lot of different activities that they do together.

Just remember, these activity groups are not sobriety based so some people may have a drink during or after an event so make sure you are prepared/have a plan.

The more active the groups the safer bet that they will not be having Alc drinks (during at least ;-). I hope you find some fun groups that get you out & about. You can start your own groups as well if you have a passion for something that isnt available in your area (unicycle juggling for example :lmao)

Take Care,

NB

IO Storm 09-06-2009 12:38 PM

Hey tb...

Just popping in your thread to take a "look see"... lol.

And give you one ' these.. :hug:

thirtybubba 09-06-2009 09:04 PM

Morning y'all--okay, it's Sunday evening here, but *blink* I just woke up. Fighting restlessness makes me just knock out, I don't know why. Maybe it's hard on my body.

Anyways, Tiger, and others I'm sure, I know there are many on SR who support me. And trust me, I appreciate each and every one of y'all. 9 1/2 days does not happen by thirtybubbas alone. Ever. We are a reckless species...

And we like to walk. A lot. Actually, I always did walk. I highly recommend it. At first, during withdrawals, I couldn't walk very far--not because I didn't want to, or physically couldn't, but because I kept tripping for no reason. I have improved my walking skills back to pre-sobriety level, and go all over the place looking at things. Suburbs are utterly fascinating and horrifying at the same time, IMHO.

TJP, thank you for understanding what I meant. I was afraid I had said it wrong again.

I looked up a volunteer site, and checked out animal shelters. All they want was people to foster animals. I did, however, find a couple fun-sounding ideas under abused children. Guess that'd be appropriate. Give them a reason to smile, something to do before they end up like me.

NB, oh, good. Yeah, I was wondering that, about carpooling/getting a ride, but I couldn't sign up until I had a picture of me. I must be the only person with none. DL doesn't count.

Yeah, anywhere they drink. I'm going to have to deal with that in the Student Government thing too. I remember staying up till 3am, all of us drinking, the night of officer elections. That's going to be harder than saying "no thank you" to a bunch of people I don't already know. I never did drink with everybody.

Actually, I had to quit unicycle juggling after an incident on the Santa Monica pier...

Thanks for the hug, IO. I'm coming to realize more after being here for a while, I do need hugs. I got so used to doing things by myself, it feels real nice having people with you for a change... :hug:

tjp613 09-07-2009 04:58 AM

Hey TB - I'm not 'pushing it' but only for clarification, if you call those shelters I'll bet if you ask them if they need help with dog walking they'd be happy to have you anytime day or night. I didn't know this about shelters until I called.

I am training now to work at our local women's center (domestic and sexual abuse). There is a great need for assistance with the kids...always. It may also help to keep you sober -- being accountable to the kids and all. Y'know?

holdfold 09-07-2009 05:47 AM

Bubba... you and I and I are are roughly on the same time line and I can imagine it is tough if on your own, I am blessed with a family and there a million and one things to do as a distraction (when drinking I didn't have the energy or interest for, but that is another subject)... I see there are some good suggestions posted... you would be surprised how easily the mind is distracted from drinking! Keep the faith, we are all rooting for you.

thirtybubba 09-07-2009 05:52 PM

Hey y'all.

TJP I'll see tomorrow if there's any close/1 bus away from me. Most of the places I noticed were a few cities over, I could be wrong.

HF, I admit, I've always been easily distracted...and my family and friends know this. :( It's just hard to do it to myself. I'm trying, yeah. But people make easier distractions than things. People can distract you for a while, a thing for only so long. So, yeah, I was looking for lots of suggestions to have something to reach for when I'm bored or I got a day or a weekend looming ahead of me. I still don't know how I'll take a real test.

And yeah, we're about the same time, I've been noticing, and a couple more too.

Well, in the morning I woke up, got ready and went out to catch the bus. Which was late by half an hour, which meant I'd be late for the connector, which would put me almost 2 hours late for the rock climbing. Turns out the bus company operators didn't know it was a holiday when I called. ??

So, I decided to drive anyways, it's still morning I figure. Part of me was just overly reckless, something that's always been a side effect of pent up energy in me. I get there, turns out the lady answered the phone yesterday is perhaps not very bright. I asked her if they were open on Monday, she told me they were open seven days a week. I guess I should have clarified--the Monday that's tomorrow, perhaps. 'Cause they surely were not open.

On the other hand, there was one of those big box malls right there. So I went into a crafts superstore, and got some things to do. Then I went into a clothing store and got some dresses and shoes--I desperately needed, since I haven't been able to shop for clothes since last year. Then I went into the grocery store and got a whole lot of canned goods--I hate carrying them home from the local grocery store--and vegetables and some staples I ran out of during my last low-money run. Spent a lot of money, for me, and was very surprised I didn't trigger the anti-fraud department at Visa. Well, anyways, I should be okay for a long time, which is good since it'll probably have to last me a long time.

So it wasn't a wasted trip--and I forgave the bus, 'cause I could never have gotten all that if I had been on the bus. They won't even let you on with that much stuff.

And when I was in the grocery store, I almost turned down the liquor row and then laughed at myself and turned the buggy away. I was on autopilot: do I have this y/n? y-keep going, n-get some. I don't have any liquor in the house. Therefore, get some. :) On the other hand, I forgot oregano. Not my biggest problem, I'm not even out.

Now, I'm chain-eating candy, knowing I shouldn't be. I guess I was releasing dopamines or nora-whatevers--I learn them all in school, and I don't know how to say them--or something. Now I feel like I'm coming down hard, but I'm also tired as all get out. And super alert, adrenalinized.

Oh well, I'm sober still, even after nothing goes the way it was supposed to... Which is good, 'cause that's essentially the story of my life. *Note: last sentence not meant in any type of way, aside from merely a observation based on the outcomes of most of the things I intend to do. I am long since used to it, and would probably find it difficult to get used to everything going right.* Not going there again...

Oh well. Take care, y'all.

OZboy 09-07-2009 08:03 PM

[QUOTE=thirtybubba;2357555

Oh well, I'm sober still, even after nothing goes the way it was supposed Not
Oh well. Take care, y'all.[/QUOTE]

..we'll take care.....love your post...says it all...lol...Oz

Dee74 09-08-2009 01:57 AM

was very surprised I didn't trigger the anti-fraud department at Visa.
:scoregood LOL

D

NewBeginning010 09-08-2009 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by thirtybubba (Post 2357555)

Oh well, I'm sober still, even after nothing goes the way it was supposed to... Which is good, 'cause that's essentially the story of my life.

Oh well. Take care, y'all.

Yep, I know that one too TB

Regarding the meetup site, you don't need to have a picture of yourself up. Lots of people use pictures of all sorts of stuff.

Glad you had a good shopping spree :c033:

Tazman53 09-08-2009 03:46 AM

Hey Bubba, sounds like you had a fairly productive weekend, I bet you are thinking "What is that Taz dude thinking?" Well you stayed sober and that is a VERY productive thing!!! Keep up the good work, be willing to try things again that you tried before and did not seem to click with. The longer you are sober the more the fog will dissappear and things when you were still drinking or REAL early in sobriety that you thought were a waste of time may not turn out to have been a waste of time at all.

Always remember you are not alone in this unless you choose to be.

holdfold 09-08-2009 07:43 AM

TB, yes I have noticed that my sugar intake has gone up considerably but I am also eating a lot more fruit/nuts and drinking a lot more juice... sadly I have to stay away from V8 (which I love) as this is a trigger for a bloody mary (as a vodka drinker)... my version was 3/4 vodka with a splash if the mix! Small sacrifice.
My distraction was yard work and painting this weekend, was too tired to think of drinking!
Let's keep going together, it will be my two week mark on Wednesday and I would like it very much if we both make it this week and start working on week 3.

firestorm090 09-09-2009 08:35 AM

Hey tb,

Just checking on ya, how are you today? Hope things are getting better. PM me if you wish. Take care, D.

thirtybubba 09-10-2009 01:35 AM

Alright... Hi everybody...

Well, yesterday and today I was busy pretty much all day, so I only replied to a few posts last night and this morning my computer decided to crash.

There was a club fair yesterday, I manned (womanned?) the table for a couple hours, then returned home to find that my roommates like to come into my room and look at my things. I feel so powerless here, I can't even talk to them--they say I'm too aggressive (not really, where I come from, but I guess it's perception) and I end up being afraid to confront them. I don't need to be arrested right now. Better put, I need not to be arrested right now.

That almost set me off, but instead of going to the bar--although I admit I was almost there when I realized where I was headed--I decided to take care of all sorts of loose ends around the campus. I got most of them, and solved a lot of little things, including a graduation requirement it turns out I completed in an alternative way. On the other hand, I had to go to the testing office. I just cannot behave in that stupid little office. Anyways, I ended up having to take a class instead of the test. The book cost me a little more than paying for the test again--I paid in 2007, they say it's too long ago--but I can't take the test anymore. I did manage to get into a class. Then, later, I went to my Tuesday class. Before returning home, I called a cousin of mine who usually makes me laugh and talked for a while.

And today, well, I start at ten and end at ten. And I had four hours of sleep last night. Ha ha. I actually made it, had a 2h window in there I took a nap. Classes all day long...

Got home, and lo and behold, they're having a party again. One thing I noticed about these roommates, is they tend to party on Tues/Wed... and not on Fri/Sat. Strange.

I don't care. 3 1/2 hours from now I got 13 days. Don't even like my roommates, wouldn't even have drank with them back in the day--I say that so slickly huh, like it was years ago--although I might have 'borrowed' a bottle from 'em...

NB, the one I was looking at did specifiy a picture of yourself. Don't know about the burlesque...

Taz, if I ever think of you--or anyone else--as "dude" I will immediately leave this state. No question. But yeah, I think I can comprehend where you're getting at. Sorta, at least.
And not alone in sobriety, gosh no, I wouldn't be sober this long without these here interwebs... Seriously, I doubt I would have tried the second time, much less the fourth, inside two months. By doubt, I mean it wouldn't have happened again this fiscal year most likely.
If I say I'm lonely, it's flesh and blood people to talk to/hold/interact with outside of a professional relationship/go for ice cream that I miss.
And I'm still waiting on Friday to get to one of those meetings you directed me to PM-ly--Friday due to I need to practice getting there with the bus on a day I don't need to be anywhere.

Holdfold, yeah, V8 for you, Pepsi and lemonade for me. Turns out I don't even like Pepsi the way they make it in the factory. I was afraid to try lemonade after learning that. :( I love lemonade. I think. I hope?
I wish I had yard work/painting. Something physical. My arms haven't worked since I got laid off, I don't think. Past moving furniture and carrying in bags of groceries. And that's not very often.
Well, after tonight I got one day for the two weeks, so yeah, let's give it a go.

FS, yeah, things are good. I've been very busy, which is good for me. Tomorrow I get thrown back into about second gear from fourth.

Take care y'all.

NewBeginning010 09-10-2009 02:22 AM

Nice work TB :scoregood You are doing great :day6

Time for us west coasters to get some shut eye.

Cya tomorrow ;-)

NB

Tazman53 09-10-2009 02:50 AM

Glad to hear you are still doing what you have to do to stay sober, keep up the good work, give things time, things will turn for the better in time.

holdfold 09-10-2009 08:31 AM

TB, keep it up nice to hear we are still 'on program'.... if want yard work come one up to CT! Plenty to keep a whole army busy! I am swamped at work as well so that helps with the 'deprogramming'.
Keep going, and look forward to hearing from you.

firestorm090 09-10-2009 08:52 AM

Stay the course TB, you're doing great. Gonna come pick you up soon so you can do some painting and yardwork, lol. I've got plenty.