Notices

Sober due to Naltrexone

Old 09-12-2009, 05:39 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Enlightened Black Man

Originally Posted by Greener View Post
It sounds like you have a few more weeks to go. How hard do you try not to drink in this latter stage? I found it got eaasier and easier with each passing month.

I think you have to have 5 posts before you can post a private message to someone else.

Once again I am sorry about your brother and your bad marriage. You have the present and the future and it looks bright.

RG
EDIT: Fixed spelling.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I've been taking Naltrexone for about a month now and it seems to be helping. My doctor perscribed it daily, so I am not using "The Sinclair Method". It's hard to say if it is the pill or just the psychological effects of taking something that is supposed to help, but I don't really care, as I am drinking much less, and that is a good thing.

I am a binge drinker, and before starting the medication, I would drink 3-4 times a week, usually about 2/3-3/4 of a bottle of rum or whiskey in a night. Since starting it I am binging 1-2 times a week, and drinking between a 1/4-1/3 of a bottle. Also, last weekend I went to my brother's wedding last weekend and skipped the bachelor party, even though I knew several of his wealthy friends would be joining us and I would drink for free all night. At the rehersal dinner, I kept it to 3 glasses of wine (half glasses really) even though refills were constantly offered. That was over a 3 hour dinner. At the wedding and reception I drank 5-6 glasses of wine, over a 6 hour period, once again refusing the many "top-offs" offered. It was a Napa Valley wedding, so the wine was good and plentiful. This seemed to me like fairly "normal" wedding drinking. There were those who drank less, and many who drank more.

I would like to eventually limit my drinking to "special ocassions" and completely eliminate the binge drinking, which I feel is particularly unhealthy and abusive. However I am happy with the progress I have made on this in a relatively short period of time.

I'm sure Naltrexone is not the answer for everyone, IMHO no method is for EVERYONE, but it seems that there are many that it does seem to be helpful for. I also am attending regular therapy sessions to deal with some of the issues that cause my self harming behavior. I feel my binge drinking falls into this catagory.

Marijuana is my primary DOC and I can relate to a "hardcore" alcoholic when it comes to my pot use. I am almost 5 months clean right now, and had been really feeling like I had a pretty good handle on it. This is the longest I've gone without smoking in over 20 years! I used to smoke it, literally, 24/7. I know my brother and his new wife smoke occassionally, not abusively like myself, but like an occasional drink. The day after the wedding I went over to his house to copy some music files, and could smell what had to be some excellent bud in his desk drawer. Everything went out the window. All I could think about was trying to get him out of the room so I could pinch a little out of his bag. He stuck around, fortunately, so I didn't get anything, but even after I got home I was scheming on how I could get some. I considered driving 3 hours down the coast to see a guy I knew, but fortunatly got through the cravings before I did anything stupid. I sure wish they would come out with Naltrexone for pot!!!

Anyway, as the saying goes under my avitar says, "I'm getting better, but not all better." That's better than being stuck or getting worse!! Nice thread, glad it hasn't disengrated into a my program is better than your program flame war. IMHO, any program that helps an addict in any way with their addiction is a good program. Thanks, take care all.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:21 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tyler View Post
I've been taking Naltrexone for about a month now and it seems to be helping. My doctor perscribed it daily, so I am not using "The Sinclair Method". It's hard to say if it is the pill or just the psychological effects of taking something that is supposed to help, but I don't really care, as I am drinking much less, and that is a good thing.

I am a binge drinker, and before starting the medication, I would drink 3-4 times a week, usually about 2/3-3/4 of a bottle of rum or whiskey in a night. Since starting it I am binging 1-2 times a week, and drinking between a 1/4-1/3 of a bottle. Also, last weekend I went to my brother's wedding last weekend and skipped the bachelor party, even though I knew several of his wealthy friends would be joining us and I would drink for free all night. At the rehersal dinner, I kept it to 3 glasses of wine (half glasses really) even though refills were constantly offered. That was over a 3 hour dinner. At the wedding and reception I drank 5-6 glasses of wine, over a 6 hour period, once again refusing the many "top-offs" offered. It was a Napa Valley wedding, so the wine was good and plentiful. This seemed to me like fairly "normal" wedding drinking. There were those who drank less, and many who drank more.

I would like to eventually limit my drinking to "special ocassions" and completely eliminate the binge drinking, which I feel is particularly unhealthy and abusive. However I am happy with the progress I have made on this in a relatively short period of time.

I'm sure Naltrexone is not the answer for everyone, IMHO no method is for EVERYONE, but it seems that there are many that it does seem to be helpful for. I also am attending regular therapy sessions to deal with some of the issues that cause my self harming behavior. I feel my binge drinking falls into this catagory.

Marijuana is my primary DOC and I can relate to a "hardcore" alcoholic when it comes to my pot use. I am almost 5 months clean right now, and had been really feeling like I had a pretty good handle on it. This is the longest I've gone without smoking in over 20 years! I used to smoke it, literally, 24/7. I know my brother and his new wife smoke occassionally, not abusively like myself, but like an occasional drink. The day after the wedding I went over to his house to copy some music files, and could smell what had to be some excellent bud in his desk drawer. Everything went out the window. All I could think about was trying to get him out of the room so I could pinch a little out of his bag. He stuck around, fortunately, so I didn't get anything, but even after I got home I was scheming on how I could get some. I considered driving 3 hours down the coast to see a guy I knew, but fortunatly got through the cravings before I did anything stupid. I sure wish they would come out with Naltrexone for pot!!!

Anyway, as the saying goes under my avitar says, "I'm getting better, but not all better." That's better than being stuck or getting worse!! Nice thread, glad it hasn't disengrated into a my program is better than your program flame war. IMHO, any program that helps an addict in any way with their addiction is a good program. Thanks, take care all.
Tyler, thanks for this reply. My grown son has been addicted to pot for many years, and just got clean about a month ago. My ex and I, back in "the day," used to run a head shop, so we were pretty heavy users. But when the kids came along I quit everything - pot, booze, the works - and worked on my spirituality. Amazing that they were raised in a tee-totalling, church oriented environment, but still inherited the predisposition toward substance abuse!

I'm glad the naltrexone is working for you. On another board devoted to that topic, we're finding there are many 'spikes' that come along as we continue to extinguish our addictions. Be forewarned in order to be ready: don't get discouraged if you have a number of ups and downs in your alcohol consumption. It comes with the territory.

Congrats on finding a solution to your problem!
Old 09-12-2009, 04:50 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Thanks for the kind words. I wish you son all the best. It's been a tough road for me, the costs have been terrible. I am only just now starting to rebuild my life, which I did a pretty through job of destroying.

I would't really say that Naltrexone has provided a "solution to my problems", more that it is part of the solution, and I need all the help I can get. Take care.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:36 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Enlightened Black Man

3rd try.

Hi.

I hope the above statement didnt break any rules.

RG
Old 09-19-2009, 07:52 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Enlightened Black Man

Old 09-19-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Heathen

Huh?
Old 09-19-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Enlightened Black Man

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
Huh?
Cant explain right now.

RG
Old 09-21-2009, 04:43 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Enlightened Black Man

Another dry weekend. Sobriety is just too easy, now.

RG
Old 09-21-2009, 04:45 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear

D