Notices

September Sobriety Group

Old 09-16-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

my intake was 2 $30 bottles of vodka per week so on an annual basis it would be $3,120. unbelievable savings. staggering when you see it on a yearly basis. that alone would be a reason to stop.

that said....i could have cared less. i just chalked it up to i'm gonna drink and it cost this much to do it.

now it's a great side benefit with the main benefit of not killing myself.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:39 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  
Meow

I am actually taping $10 bills to my bedroom wall for each day. I haven't quite figured out what I am going to do with the money, but it is going to be something for me - something healthy and fun!
Old 09-16-2009, 11:50 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  
aka Glenna :)

Wish my finances were starting to improve as well. I am a little worried because my phone is going to be shut off in 2 days, and I won't be able to call my sponsor or other AA members and fear becoming isolated (a problem for me). However, I did get my rent finally paid up, which I feel so much better about. I know it is going to take time, and really I shouldn't complain, just kinda concerned about it.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:21 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

YAY to $$money$$ NOT spent on booze..lol

I'm going to start a secret Christmas savings for my kids with the money im saving by not drinking, 99 days left!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:21 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

I am as ugly as I seem.

Back to day zero

Do you guys remember the movie Airplane? Lloyd Bridges would pop in and say "Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop: Smoking, drinking, heroin, etc".

I got the word that I have to lay-off two of my staff. One is less than a week back from major cancer surgery, the other is getting married on Saturday.

Yeah I know I can always find an excuse to screw-up, but damn! This sucks! I suppose I could divorce myself from the human side of this, but that is not who I am.

I'll be on walkabout for a bit.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:42 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cath

In Australia we can plead special circumstances to keep the phone line on in a restricted way if we're ill or are caring for a child or something - do they have anything like that there? any social work agencies?

Recycle - many of us tried many many times to get this. I tried for 15 years.

The fact is life will always throw crappy things at us...I come here everyday - I could easily find things to drink over here and be somewhat justified in that....but the bottom line is when I drink I'm not helping anyone, and I'm only hurting myself.

Don't listen to the lies, R.

D
Old 09-16-2009, 05:56 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Recycle I could never be in that position. The fact that you're having problems doing this just shows how much you care and how big your heart is.

7 days for me. But I've hit a bump... I was having bad cravings and I decided to clean to keep my mind off it. I found a half full bottle of adderal and I can not bring myself to get rid of it. I know it's stupid but it feels safe to just have it. Like it's there if I need to go back to it.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:04 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  
Meow

(((cath))) Don't know much about what's available in Florida, but would a phone card or something be useful? Or can you work with the phone company?

(((recycle))) That sucks. I would hate to have to lay someone off - especially in this economy. As for yourself, you need to take care of you! Stay strong and on to Day 1!

Cherry - what is adderal?
Old 09-16-2009, 06:37 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Cherry .. the would IF is a evil word ! If i do this .. If I did that , If i would of done this .. If is something you cant take back. So the smart thing would be is call your sponcer and be honnest bout what you found , and have he/she toss them out.. or take a giant step and toss them out ! Remember addictions are cunning ... its your old addiction thinkin thats persuading (sp) you to keep them when you really dont , youve made it this far w/o them . remember living in the moment the hour or what ever form of time you choose , so worrying that you may need them later only leaves you with temptation right now .. hope you make the right choice and distroy them .. ~ Endzy~
Old 09-16-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cherry

pls dump it. There's only one reason why we don't/can't get rid of that stuff, and it's not good.

D
Old 09-16-2009, 07:38 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

"I am Jack's raging bile duct"

I just do not how to deal with this. I could absolutely punk my boss on this, and my boss' boss too. Machiavellian princes the both of them. Ultimately it would cost me my job, but that is not that big of a deal, I was looking for a job when I found this one. Of course that was 18 years ago, but I know I will never starve. It is inhuman to let these people go at the height of their vulnerability. I feel like a baby bird chipping its way out of its shell, the struggle is mighty, but the rewards are great.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:22 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Nice to find you all here - It's day 7 for me. I've been a heavy drinker for 30+ years but I think I can finally give it up. I just found your support network yesterday and it's good to know you are here - I'll be checking in with you all - Thanks!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:30 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Cherry, dump it. Too tempting. Stay strong recycle. And welcome to JeffreySandman!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:59 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome JeffreySandman! Glad you are here.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:53 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

I didn't dump it. However it is gone. I gave it to my best friend. It was his prescription that I stole... It does feel good to try and right some wrongs. You guys were talking about the money you were saving by not buying alcohol. I wanted to respond but I didn't know what to sat. However just thinking about the lows I sunk to in order to get my drugs. It feels so good to go through one week where I don't feel like a ****** person and I'm not thinking "well I just destroyed another one of my low standards." It's starting to hit me that if I keep this up I'm going to end up in jail and soon.

And welcome Jefferey
Old 09-17-2009, 12:50 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really proud that you did that CherryD - you didn't use and you made a wrong right.

I wanted to hear you made it - thats awesome stuff!

Welcome Jeffrey Sandman!
way to go on your week!

We're always here - hope to see you again soon!
D
Old 09-17-2009, 04:06 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  
aka Glenna :)

Wow, two weeks for me today!! I haven't had this much time in the past 3 years, and I'm thrilled about it. I'm grateful for this group and a little place to share my victories. Feels good to be sober today.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:39 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Cath!

D
Old 09-17-2009, 04:44 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Congratulations Cath on your 2 weeks! That's great! Good for you Cherry for doing the right thing.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Right on Cherry ... I think we can all agree were really proud of your choice to get it outta your place ..Im sure inside your think pheww . least im not tempted to pop that cap ..
Welcome to the class Jeff were glad your here ...