Notices

September Sobriety Group

Old 09-02-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Meow

Welcome Last Call!
Old 09-02-2009, 02:21 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I just realized that the upcoming weekend is a long holiday weekend. One on which I would typically start drinking early in the morning and never stop. ESPECIALLY because I will be spending some of it with my inlaws.

Fortunately by then, if all goes well, I will be pretty well detoxed.

What kind of plans does everyone have to keep themselves from slipping up over the weekend?

Karma, you mentioned in a post yesterday that you were going to have to avoid your friends. What will you do instead? Good luck.

Wish I could avoid my inlaws! Anybody have any ideas how I can keep myself calm, cool and collected when I will be feeling like everyone (especially my monster-in-law) is out to find fault with me and my children? I used to stay pretty sloshed so it wouldn't bother me.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Welcome Last Call!
Old 09-02-2009, 02:36 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AboveItAll View Post
I just realized that the upcoming weekend is a long holiday weekend. One on which I would typically start drinking early in the morning and never stop. ESPECIALLY because I will be spending some of it with my inlaws.

What kind of plans does everyone have to keep themselves from slipping up over the weekend?

Karma, you mentioned in a post yesterday that you were going to have to avoid your friends. What will you do instead? Good luck.

Wish I could avoid my inlaws! Anybody have any ideas how I can keep myself calm, cool and collected when I will be feeling like everyone (especially my monster-in-law) is out to find fault with me and my children? I used to stay pretty sloshed so it wouldn't bother me.

I just realized that as well. Over holiday weekends I would usually start drinking Friday after work just keep on until I had to go back to work. Going to be hard. I am going to try and watch a movie (district 9 looks awesome), go see my mom, maybe go hiking, mow my yard, and turn off my phone, lol. I wish you luck. I've had several invites to the lake already but have so far turned them all down. Going to be rough. GOOD LUCK aboveitall. I am going to try and post friday night/saturday night/sunday night/monday night at least once each day.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:48 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

weekends are hard, try to fill it with activites.. movies, walk on the beach ... visit art gallery???

remember.... stay strong.... and sign in her if you get a strong urge... it does help
Old 09-02-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

welcome last call
Old 09-02-2009, 03:33 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

wow made it to day 3 Amazing how different it feels in the morning to wake up and not feel like ****. Plus you don't look at all the beer cans and feel ashamed. Really didnt think I would make it past the first day as I did a computer repair job on the way home from work and was offered a 6 pack of beer as a reward (it is still sitting in the fridge untouched).

This is what happened last time I tried to quit, I managed to stop buying beer but somehow beer seemed drawn to me like a magnet and before I know it I had cartons of beer appearing from people for help I had offered them.

Another good thing is that now my youngest can count it makes you feel like a bad parent when he counts how many beers you had last night. God I hope he hasnt told anyone at kindy how much I was drinking some nights.

Eating healthier and walking seems to be helping me more this time as it reminds me not to undo the good work by cracking open a beer. So far only my wife knows I am undergoing this detox from alcohol as I couldnt stand everyone else knowing how bad I had got and telling me "I told you so".

I wish everyone the best this month, so glad I found a forum where it is full of good people who are so open
Old 09-02-2009, 04:05 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by fluxcap View Post
wow made it to day 3 Amazing how different it feels in the morning to wake up and not feel like ****. Plus you don't look at all the beer cans and feel ashamed. Really didnt think I would make it past the first day as I did a computer repair job on the way home from work and was offered a 6 pack of beer as a reward (it is still sitting in the fridge untouched).

This is what happened last time I tried to quit, I managed to stop buying beer but somehow beer seemed drawn to me like a magnet and before I know it I had cartons of beer appearing from people for help I had offered them.

Another good thing is that now my youngest can count it makes you feel like a bad parent when he counts how many beers you had last night. God I hope he hasnt told anyone at kindy how much I was drinking some nights.

Eating healthier and walking seems to be helping me more this time as it
reminds me not to undo the good work by cracking open a beer. So far only my wife knows I am undergoing this detox from alcohol as I couldnt stand everyone else knowing how bad I had got and telling me "I told you so".

I wish everyone the best this month, so glad I found a forum where it is full of good people who are so open

who cares what all those people think !! your the important one here

i can relate to the kids counting, bad eh well no more..

can you give the beers away to someone?

or collect all beer given to you and then have a 'cheap booze garage sale he he maybe not such a good idea
Old 09-02-2009, 06:28 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

lookin for something to do with them beers and enjoy the weekend .. hows bout a lil target practice use a BB gun and line um up and take your best shots .. fun an with the added weight you wont have to stand um up each time you hit one .. just a thought ..
Myself im workin all weekend im in housekeeping so i work mornings but have a good portion of the day to do what ever , its a good time to work on those long projects you been puttin off .. paint a room re decorate , hows bout re-arranging the living room .. were going to the hubbies folks and scraping and painting a car-shed .. make some extra cash and enjoy what nice weather we have , while we have it . I think after that were gonna take the toys ( 4 wheeler an a 2 wheeler ) for a cruise around . Mind you were in the middle of a now wheres North Dakota farm community so theres lots of graval roads to cruise around on . grill out and just enjoy each others company .
of corse ill be around my PC and poppin online like always .. peace out ya all~ Endzy
Old 09-02-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Meow

I will be out of state in a pretty remote cabin with no tv and no running water. Also with several inlaws (whom I like a lot). Oh, and beer. Lots of beer.

Sigh.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:32 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

ooh yah ... one more thng Flux .. its not important what they think .. its what YOU think . in time perhaps things will change bout how they feel bout you . when we drink we do things we cant take back . BUT we can show them thu our actions we are willing to change , but it takes time . try just walkin away , excuse your self say you gotta hit the loo or something . its not important . plan ahead for the day take bottles of water or just .. propel is excelent or anything w/ electrolites in it to replenish the bodys fluids and Vite's . take it one hour or one minute at a time .. and one more thing if it gets to be much simply just leave .. i know its said easier then done . but sometimes we just gotta do what we must to remain on the soberity trail ..
Old 09-03-2009, 05:39 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fluxcap View Post

Couldn't help but laugh at this post, it's SO true! The first thing I do every morning is gather up all the beer cans and put them in the recycle bin. (this morning I only had to collect my husbands) Sometimes I would put my own cans buried into the regular garbage so no one could see exactly how much I had.

Purple, GOOD LUCK. Being in a setting like that sounds like it will be tough. At least you like your inlaws, but I find whether I like or dislike the people I'm around, there's a good excuse to drink either way!

Karma, how did it go last night with your drinking buddy friend?

LastCall, I am now on my day 3 which means you are too. After reading Flux's post about day 3 waking up and feeling better, did you find the same thing? How about the rest of you?

I know I slept better last night and feel a bit better today.

In the last two days I've learned that if I can make it past my normal "start drinking" time, I don't have as hard of a time the rest of the day.

Again I want to thank everyone for being here. It really helps to have this virtual support.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Karma, how did it go last night with your drinking buddy friend?
He ended up not coming which is probably good in the short term. I did however go to my sisters house and chill for a bit. When I have gone over there in the past I have ALWAYS without fail brought one or two Tecate tallboys (sometimes more - then drink more when I get home). Last night I didn't though!! They drink Rum/Coke pretty much all night and I think my sister and her girlfriend have a problem too. Liqour was never my thing so I'm not so worried about being around people drinking it i guess. maybe i should be?

Today is Day 4 for me! This is new territory for me. Never made it this far without literally dying for a drink. One thing that has helped me out for sure is reading the posts on the this board. I read some advice the other day in a post on this board that was along the lines of "Well, if you drink, just imagine how crappy you will feel in the morning". I'm not going to lie, on my home from work last night I could practically taste how good a beer would be but I thought of that advice and it changed my mind.

AboveItAll - I am so happy you've made it this far! Awesome!!!

PurpleCat - Be strong... man that is going to be tough as hell though. Maybe skip the trip for the time being... not sure.

Lastcall - good to see you in here!!!!

Sorry if I missed anyone

As for the morning and sleep - I am having a hard time going to sleep ... usually around 11:00pm - 1:00am. I have to wake up at 7:00am so that's not too bad. I had been feeling really groggy but not so bad today.

I am still keeping myself busy as hell in the evenings. I was out and about until 8:30 last night and then came home and kept myself even busier tinkering around the house and helping my girlfriend with a flyer. Still worried about this weekend but if I have made it this far ... I think I can do it.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:38 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Oh oh one more thing!!! I was walking in to the bathroom last night and walked past a mirror and I was like "holy crap you are lookin pretty good dude!"... lol. Normally I'm embarrassed about how I look because I'll either have red under my eyes or dark circles. But not anymore, lol
Old 09-03-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I don't really have a problem with liquor either, just beer and wine. I'm thankful because there is NONE in the house today. Since I wasn't drinking, I didn't buy any beer for my husband, so the three he had left and the one of mine that was leftover from before were all consumed by him last night. Poor guy, he only had 4! He's not used to not having a full 12 pack in the fridge. He almost went out to buy more last but didn't. I'm SO glad, because I just KNOW he would have brought home 12 for me as well. (He drinks Budweiser and I drink Lite)

Lookin' Good Karma! Great!

PurpleCat, I went over and read the August thread. You are amazing. Thanks for coming over here and sharing with us too.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Meow

Now I'm going to blush and end up being a pink cat.

I figure I belong here because I actually, umm, haven't quite quit yet. All my ducks are in a row now, I'm just too weak/wimpy/whatever to put myself through this weekend not drinking.

I'm getting started (for real) on the 8th.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:42 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Work toward it and you'll get it. I will be interested to know how that drug (I forget its name) works.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Meow

I am too. I'll let you know. I know the few times I cut way back recently I experienced cravings and anxiety the next day. So, we'll see if it helps.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by karma79 View Post
Oh oh one more thing!!! I was walking in to the bathroom last night and walked past a mirror and I was like "holy crap you are lookin pretty good dude!"... lol. Normally I'm embarrassed about how I look because I'll either have red under my eyes or dark circles. But not anymore, lol

Cool.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Day 3

It's a good day to NOT drink. Just keep practising my new mantra when I start thinking about a drink, "I'm free!", and drown those thoughts out.

I am off Friday through Monday, looking forward to the long weekend without drinking. Hopefully I can get back to a more normal routine and sleeping schedule between now and going back to work on Tuesday.

I hope everyone is doing well.

LC