Notices

September Sobriety Group

Old 09-01-2009, 02:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi everybody, starting over at 1 day, again, so I thought I'd join up with you guys
Old 09-01-2009, 02:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

welcome to SR Oddspot ... and the sept class ... were glad your here !
Old 09-01-2009, 03:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Meow

Hi OddSpot.

The book the therapist wanted me to get is this: A Gentle Path Through the Twelve Steps, Patrick J. Carnes, Book - Barnes & Noble

I ordered it this afternoon. She said it would help her work with me in place of the intensive outpatient.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
I'm in for September... 9/14/08 is my date.

Mark
Are you a B-52's fan? (seeing your location)
Old 09-01-2009, 03:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Count me in guys im up to my second day now, hoping to get over the 3rd night tonight without a beer. This is the point I normally struggle as I am so used to getting home from work and drinking 6 beers to forget about work. But I seem to be more positive this time as my wife and I have decided to eat more healthier and take walks in the afternoon to remind me why I dont want to drink anymore.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleCat View Post
I know I can't make him quit. When I talked to him about stopping he said he should too, but I don't think he will. If that causes me problems, I will have to cross that bridge when I get there. Until then, it's all about me.

Good luck with the meeting. I am a very social person, but for some reason I find the thought of going to a meeting intimidating. I have no problem talking to you all behind the anonymity of the computer, but in RL I don't want anyone to know I need that kind of help. Probably comes from my "I can take care of everything for everyone" mentality.

i can relate to the ' i can take care of everything' remember

you dont have to!!

to all guys in september.... hi there. i'm also in august group. and on day 7 !!

i was very close last night to having a drink but logged on, read messages and went to bed sober (i'm in oz so different time zone) the messages really helped.

keep going guys,,,
Old 09-01-2009, 04:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

:day

To everyone sharing on the September thread

Welcome to all our new members.
Yes...we can and do win over addiction.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleCat View Post
Are you a B-52's fan? (seeing your location)
Yes, I like the B-52's - Loved the hair. Actually my favorite was "Love Shack"... But I always liked the song title... My Own Private Idaho... Wasn't there a movie??

Be sure to let us know how your AA meeting went!!

Mark
Old 09-01-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Count me in

for starting the thread, AboveItAll!
Old 09-01-2009, 08:09 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

finding diff things to do helps , excercise is a really big help walkin i used to walk alot when i started on my journey to recovery , find a bench at the park and ppl watch was one of my fav's i used that time to sit and write and just listen to my headset and enjoy the nature
Old 09-01-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

cubile75 /purple cat

b 52,s was my first ever rock concert... and they were awesome!
Old 09-02-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Wow, I'm overwhelmed with the responses in this thread...

PurpleCat: I cannot believe how similar your story is to mine. I am 48, have two boys who are active in sports (soccer and surfing) and have an alcoholic husband. Initially, he drank far more than I ever did, but lately something has changed in me (I guess it is that acceleration your therapist mentioned) and I found myself in far worse shape.

B52's are the BOMB!

I'm glad there are so many people joingin us here.

I am on my day 2. I feel quite proud of myself which seems silly. Tell a normal drinker that you can't believe you made it past 2:00 in the afternoon on a Tuesday without a drink and they'd probably write you off as a total loser. Which is how I have been feeling. But I did even better than making it past 2:00...I made it all the way through the day, even the most difficult time which is when my husband comes home and wants to have a "happy hour" drink at the beach.

I didn't tell him that I am trying to quit. I guess I'm going to need to do that. I don't think he noticed that I was sucking on a water rather than a beer.

Meeting: I'm new in this town and haven't yet looked. I'll probably do that today. Everyone that is taking that route, please let me know how it goes. I'm very nervous about doing that. I've been to a couple of meetings in the past and hated them - of course those I went to ostensibly as support for other people, but I guess they probably were taking me there for a reason.

I spent ALL DAY yesterday "not drinking". Today I am going to try to be productive and do things that don't involve drinking. Does that make any sense?

Thanks September people for being here with me. Sorry to be so long winded, but I have a lot of different thoughts.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Awesome AboveItAll. Great to hear.

Yesterday was okay for me, didn't drink at all. I DID however have a non-alcoholic beer so I hope that isn't breaking "the rules". Didn't really have much of a desire too once I passed the store on my way home from work without stopping.

Day 3 right now. Feelin pretty good so far.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:42 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi Karma! Glad to see you here today! I don't think a non-alcoholic beer breaks the rules. I'm just one day behind you! Keep going!
Old 09-02-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

One of my good drinkin buddies is coming over tonight so I can help him with his resume. He has been trying to get a job for a while here in the States but hasn't had much luck here lately, so I'm gonna try and keep it brief for the time being with him, lol.

Last night I kept busy by setting up an old computer up as a Nintendo/SNES emulator and hooked it up to my TV while my girlfriend was watching that awful "American's Got Talent" show. I've been meaning to do that for MONTHS! Usually, I come home, drink some beers, and do nothing the whole night. I can already tell I'm going to have to find something to do each and every night -- especially on the weekends, which is normally when I would get tanked with friends (or by myself, didn't matter).
Old 09-02-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by AboveItAll View Post
PurpleCat: I cannot believe how similar your story is to mine. I am 48, have two boys who are active in sports (soccer and surfing) and have an alcoholic husband. Initially, he drank far more than I ever did, but lately something has changed in me (I guess it is that acceleration your therapist mentioned) and I found myself in far worse shape.
It is so nice to know that there is someone else out there in a similar situation, isn't it? (((hugs)))

B52's are the BOMB!
Absolutely! anono, I've seen them twice. The first time was at an historic theater, and we had seats on the main floor, underneath the balcony. When they played Love Shack, that balcony started swaying up and down from all the people dancing up there. It was a bit scary! The second time was at an outdoor theater, which was pretty cool. The Pretenders opened for them.

Well, I went to my medical doctor this morning for my annual physical. Fessed up to him about my problems, as well as what I am trying to do to fix them. He gave a a prescription for naltrexone Naltrexone for Alcoholism -- familydoctor.org So, now it is all up to me. All of my preparations are falling into place.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:21 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

One thing I am noticing for sure is that I am freaking starving!!! Normally I don't eat breakfast because my stomach doesn't usually agree with that and beer drinkin the night before.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:10 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

good day fellow class mates .. its a wonderful day ... glad your all hanging in there , one hour one day what ever time frame works for ya ..
BTW Above ... thanks for starting this ...
In the beginning of my soberity i found it realllllyyy helpful to keep busy as most of you are saying that your doing , I found myself that when the mind dont shut up bout all those lil things you wanna do or gotta do what ever be the case , Write um down , dont matter if its putting in a new motor in your car or pulling a weed ya saw by your mailbox . be it goals or just ambitions to do something differant . I had what i thought was this huge list not only things i wanted to do , but things I HAD TO DO . mostly due to my own stupidity thu 2dwi's , I swore that list looked impossible .
I hung it on my frig and with each challange completed i checked it off . yes even the dustin and the scrubbbing kinda stuff ,. be surprised how many cob webs and crud in corners that are there when your life is to consummed with the drink and party life .
Today I still have that list , Its completed and I see it now as wow that wasnt as bad as i thought it was then . But i did it .. and its a big acheivement . I still make lists of silly lil things to do and when im bored and cant find something ill look thu that list and maybe refresh something from it , or think of something . . happy hump day you all .. peace out Endzy
Old 09-02-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Hi!!
I am of class of September 2008... by the end of it I broke up with an alcoholic boyfriend.. its almost one year now, and on December I went No Contact.

I already feel safe as I know he has no love for me, never had. Its diff as I work with him, everything triggers our good and bad times. The bad times outweigh the good ones and I am not sure if I will ever look back and be thankful for the good stuff, as I do with other ex boyfriends. Time will tell.

I know he keeps drinking and I always overhear him talking about a new bar or a beer. Its very sad, I just want to slap him. He has not learned anything and did not recognize ever his drinking and abuse was what prompted me to leave.

Life is better without alcohol and alcoholics in our lives, we can love them from a distance, its terrible seeing a sinking ship and not being able to do anything about it... After one year I still feel used and discarded....
Old 09-02-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I am in for a sober September, Day 2 here for me also.