# 321 (permalink)  
Meow

Congrats Cherry and Cath!!!
Welcome, Jeffrey Sandman.

Recycle....
Old 09-17-2009, 10:53 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Count_me_in

Hi everyone, I read all of the September posts and strangely feel like you're old friends by now! I'm on my 8th day and can relate to so many of your stories. I'm approaching age 45 and the drinking has been escalating over the past year. I'm still very emotional and have major appetite issues (almost none at all--I used to just drink a few beers when I was hungry). I woke up with a horrendous headache today and automatically assumed I was hungover. Turns out to be allergies.

I've been going to AA meetings almost every day, and find so much support there, especially being new to sobriety.

As far as what to say to your usual drinking buddies, my temp. sponsor cautioned me not to tell them you're an alcoholic, or they may actually try to get you to drink (because they don't want to deal with their own issues, they will try to get you to drink too). So I tell them I'm not drinking because I've been terribly depressed and want to see if not drinking improves my mood. It's not a lie, it's just not total disclosure. Heavy-drinking neighbors who used to drive me crazy by coming over every day haven't stopped by for a week. Very interesting!

Anyway, thank you all for your honest shares and support for each other. Congratulations to everyone in this group for their courage and strength. This is an awesome group. -UC
Old 09-17-2009, 11:06 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by a fallen man View Post
my intake was 2 $30 bottles of vodka per week so on an annual basis it would be $3,120. unbelievable savings. staggering when you see it on a yearly basis. that alone would be a reason to stop.

that said....i could have cared less. i just chalked it up to i'm gonna drink and it cost this much to do it.

now it's a great side benefit with the main benefit of not killing myself.
Great post!
I'm about right with you fr what I was spending. Crazy! You just dont think about it when your just getting one at a time.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:44 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hi There,

Today I joined the forum in the hope that I can end my 20+ year drinking career so am glad for this group. There were some highs but they were pretty much lows as standard. Lately I've been doing 6 x 1/2 litre tins of Budweiser and a double whisky or so a night seven days a week, costs a fortune. I wish I could just have a few beers or a glass of wine but have got to be realistic and realise it won't happen. I'm hoping I can stop and hopefully this time for good.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Meow

Welcome to Sept Meerkat and UniversesChild.

Meerkat - love the name.

I was drinking around 9 Labatts Light a day, after work. Decided a couple of months ago that enough was enough. I'm now on Day 10.

Good luck to you both!
Old 09-17-2009, 12:55 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Quick share here before I go outside and enjoy the wondeful sunshiny day !!!
My boss'es ( husband /wife team ) made me cry today .. yah but it was a good cry I gotta 1.00$ raise they been trying to get me one for while now and finally got it . I was sooo elated and greatful it was tears of happyiness , they didnt know what to say cuz i was crying .. lol i told um ooh its happy tears .. Im soooo very greatful to my bosses . its not the money ( but its a nice perk ) , its that they find my job doings worthy of a raise. and I couldnt have done this with out being sober , matter fact this week marks my 1yr being there at the Inn . what a great day .. and a specail prayer was answered for a BFF he won in courth this morning and got his lil girl back and his house .. his life will finally get back to normal so its definatly a super awesome day ..
Welcome Meerkat and UC were glad your here free hug for all !!
~ Endzy ~
Old 09-17-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Congratulations Endzy! That's awesome!
Old 09-17-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

endzoner...congratulations! I'm sure it was well deserved. There's not much better than feeling like you are competent, needed, and can do things well. Except maybe when other people recognize those things about you also!
Old 09-17-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Congrats Endzoner!!! Welcome to our Sept sobriety group Meerkat and UC!!!
Old 09-17-2009, 02:59 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Carrie .. im sitting here chuckling at your picture tooo cute , maybe i should show the hubbie what can happen if he dont stop teasing Stash ( my cat ) ...but its cute just had to let you know ..
Old 09-17-2009, 03:30 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Welcome Meerkat and UniversesChild! Congrats endzoner! It is nice to be recognized. Carrie that is a great avatar...Great day to be sober. We had beautiful weather here in MI. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:59 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Administrator

Morning all!
welcome to the new guys Universes Child and Meerkat

congrats Endzy!
D
Old 09-17-2009, 04:51 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Welcome Jeffrey, Meerkat and UniversesChild!

Day 7...one week. I am dealing with some awfully persistant dizziness and going from zero to frustrated in milliseconds, but I'm doing it sober

I did decide that I should strengthen the support of my family and AA by going to a counselor. Luckily, we have kick butt health insurance, so I can just choose who I want to go to..no messing with prior approval. When I went to look up doctors 'in network", I was given 50 names in a 10 mile radius For someone struggling to even put a coherent sentence together, I felt a bit lost there.

My daughter's BFF's mother works with a community services agency here, so I think I'll approach her to see if she knows of someone highly recommended. Of course, using the proverbial, "I'm asking for a friend". Lame, I know.

Last edited by RMM897; 09-17-2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason: my "p" button sticks
Old 09-17-2009, 07:20 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
aka Glenna :)

AMAZING meeting tonight for me. One of the "old timers" was the speaker, a man who I have always looked up to. I couldn't wait to hear his story, and it did not disappoint. He spoke directly from his heart, and several of us got choked up listening to him. I couldn't possibly do it justice by trying to recreate it here, but afterwards my hand shot up and I told him (and everyone) how much he had inspired me to work the best program I possibly could, and I meant it. So glad to be sober
Old 09-17-2009, 08:37 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone for all the encouragement. It was exactly a week ago today that I had my first sober day. And today will make it 8.

I'm really missing my boyfriend today. He's in Iraq and I can't seem to fill the hole inside me. But there's a light at the end of the tunnel. In 3 weeks he will be home. I just have to hold on to that. I'm scared though because when he left a year ago I was only starting to completely spiral down. I weighed 50 pounds more than I do now and I was a completely different person. I'm scared he won't like me anymore and I'm scared of what being over there has done to him.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:33 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Wow Cherry, that's amazing. It will be so good for him to see you--regardless of your weight--sober and taking great care of yourself. Good for you!

It's my 8th day too. Hang in there and keep coming back. This forum is what gets me through in between meetings.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:35 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cherry - don't get weighed down with what might be's.
I think UC is right - he'll be thrilled to see you and you him

just let it be
D
Old 09-18-2009, 06:38 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Meow

Happy 8th Cherry I'm sure your bf will be happy to see you!

Proud moment for me. Went to the rink restaurant last night, sat with my party-friend hockey mom and didn't drink! She had four beers, I had a yummy vanilla cheesecake and a cranberry juice with soda. Yay!
Old 09-18-2009, 06:39 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Day 19 now... time really flies I suppose. Still doing okay over here.

I think I'll stop counting the days now.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:02 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Its Day

For a few of us here!!!