Notices

rage

Old 08-28-2009, 05:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question rage

This is a regular occurence for me..part of the cycle. Day one after a binge I'm hungover, anxiety-ridden and tired but can't sleep. Next comes a short temper and rage over small issues-usually directed at my husband. Part of my problem is I only smoke when I drink, so I'm not only not drinking but I'm craving nicotine as well. I just wondered if anyone else went through this rage phase. For me it can last four or five days. Part of my decision to not drink also means I will stop smoking- FOR GOOD this time so that I will not keep going through this on a weekly basis.
If there is anyone that can relate to this anger/rage that I go through, please, tell me what helps you. I know it's coming off chemicals that is affecting my behaviour.
Also, does anyone relate to this feeling of having to consume? If I'm not drinking or smoking, then I tend to eat instead. Like I have to be consuming something.
Sheesh, I wonder what happened in my life that I've turned into this?
Old 08-28-2009, 05:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The need to fill the emptiness inside would be my guess on the need to fill yourself with something. That's my opinion any ways and I did have the rage thing you talk about. I still have anger, but not to the point I did. I would say it might be a part of ourselves detoxing and I would give yourself time. For me walking around outside helps a great deal and I mean really finding some nature to be in. I also like to volunteer for a horse rescue not far from me. Makes my problems seem small. Get outside of your head. Yoga and meditation now help me to relax because I can be a stress monkey at times for sure. Just some ideas. Prayer helps me, but not all believe and so that might not be your thing. Hugs help too sometimes, but then again if its rage some might be afraid to hug. My husband was one that was afraid to approach the danger zone. Still is sometimes, but its a lot better. There is hope. Hang in there friend. You can get past this. Breath, deep from the bottom of your soul breaths.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ellie

I never found a way to successfully deal with that after drinking rage - but not drinking at all works a treat

Whenever I do get angry these days - if it's justified I try to fix the situation, as soon as I've given myself time to have cooled down...

most times tho it's not really justified, so I either go for a walk, or play my guitar, listen to a CD, read a book...do anything but 'stew' on it, or redirect it where it's not deserved.

D
Old 08-28-2009, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I'm like Dee. I would feel a lot of anger during my drinking times, but stopping drinking changed things for me. I so wanted a peaceful life, and for the most part, that is what I have.

I think that when you recognize that nothing from outside of you is going to fill the emptiness, then you will begin to look within. All you need is within you.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

maybe that's part of it for me...I am so uncertain of myself from within..for as long as I can remember I've always been striving for something else..always living in limbo..always worried..my whole pregnancy with my son I worried I would lose him. All I wanted in that pregnancy was a healthy baby which I got, and once I did, that wasn't enough..I didn't enjoy being isolated at home with him all day..I love him to pieces, don't get me wrong, but it just wasn't enough..it's like things are never enough for me..right now it's my job..it's not enough..there's always a glaring vacancy in my world that needs filling no matter what, and if it does get filled then there's another one..and guess when that vacancy seems to be filled? When I'm drinking of course. I don't worry, I don't fret. I guess that's a big reason why I do it (among many other reasons I am sure)...