Notices

Esophogeal Varices - Any experience?

Old 08-28-2009, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Esophogeal Varices - Any experience?

Won't drink anymore. It took an internal bleed from esophogeal varices this week, but I'm done. I'm on librium and scared to death to drink again.

I really don't want to die within the next four years from this which is what the stats say. They say with proper meds and not drinking I can live longer than that, but how long is that?

Anyone had this happen who quit, who's been alive a long time since the first episode? You have subsequent episodes after quitting? I could use some encouragement, because I really am scared to death. Scared enough not to drink is scared to death for me.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was also scared about my health when I stopped drinking. In fact, I was so worried about my health, it kept me relapsing for a long while. There are no guarantees in life regarding our health, but clearly living a sober life is hugely positive step.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Red face

i do know, that a sudden drop in alcohol consumption.
..can possible cure your current situation...
..maybe mine ..too..lol..Oz..
Old 08-28-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to be a paramedic. I got a call one night for difficulty breathing. When I got there my patient was unconscious on the floor with blood everywhere! He had esophogeal varacies, too. I'm not sure how he turned out, but you know how serious this is. Please don't drink another drop!
Old 08-28-2009, 07:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I spent 6 days in the hospital with esophogeal varices.
ER--transfusion ICU- more transfusions 3 days observation.
Scared me too....

I came home with meds and a warning to never again drink.
I finished the meds...did return to drinking but
I re-conn3cted AA a few months later. No more alcohol.

That was over 20 years ago....I did not have another bleeding episode.

I certainly hope this will be your turning point...All my best
Old 08-28-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rockstar

This is your lucky day, you have 2 paramedics responding to you

Ive picked up scores of these call outs as I was working in an area where alcohol abuse is common. Its not a death sentence if you're treated and quit drinking. In fact 2 people I was called too attend lead healthy lives now and that was 7 years ago.

You can do it and have my best wishes.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you keep drinking the outlook is grim....

The great thing is that you have stopped drinking!! The other thing is, the liver problems, which is what caused the varicies in the first place, will get better!! So, you are well on your way to getting this behind you. You can die anytime, anywhere from anything... but you probably won't today! Just get through today... worry about tomorrow, well, tomorrow.

By quitting your alcohol consumption you are doing the most important thing you can do... Yes, good nutrition and, perhaps, medication as prescribed by your physician, is important, but get the "elephant in the room" out....

Since you are doing all that you can do physically, there is nothing to be gained from getting overly stressed about it now... Stressing over it could increase your desire to drink....

Now, get recovered from your alcoholism... AA is a great program, but there are other good ones out there. Recovery, as I'm sure you've read here, is not just about putting down the cup...

You have this wonderful opportunity to live a richer, more meaningful sober life... get started now!!

Welcome

Mark
Old 08-28-2009, 10:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Daisywings,
I want to tell U what most have mentioned, U will recover and heal after this, if U quit now!
As an RN who has worked ER, this is nothing for our staff to see on a given week, at lease 1-2/wk. With each drinking episode after this, the bleed is worst. These varices are, swollen, irratated, and imflamed. I could not tell U how many transfusions that I have administered in a given week related to these cases, along with hanging as we call banana bags. ( 9% saline, Multiply vitamins, and folate, that turns the fluid yellow)
U can correct this, they will heal, the liver will heal and so will U. Start today.
Stay strong.

Last edited by tallcactus; 08-28-2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: need space b/w words
Old 08-28-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Well that sounds terrifying - I hadn't heard of it. I appreciate knowing about this condition - just another reason why......I can't ever drink again. I'm hoping for a good outcome for you, Daisy, & I'm sorry you've had to go through this. We just never realize what we're doing to ourselves internally. I'd worry about my bloodshot eyes, puffy face, distented stomach - but never what was going on inside.