Notices

the progression of alcoholism..

Old 08-27-2009, 06:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the progression of alcoholism..

it gets worse.. for me it had to get worse for me to get sober again. i never thought i would be back in A.A. and living a sober life.. never say never! i would like to hear others thoughts on this.. thanks in advance!
Old 08-27-2009, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Wish my father had taken the opportunity to get better. He spent the last year of his life lying in bed, unable to eat much other than jello, swollen torso, legs and feet. Yellow skin. Didn't want to go to the hospital because the neighbors might see. Finally ended up going after a year and died about 5 days later. It's an ugly, ugly way to die.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yes it is suki..
Old 08-27-2009, 09:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes....end stage alcoholism is fatal. No exceptions.

It's so sad because there are many turn around
points long before you reach the end....

Prayers to those still suffering and for those who love them.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Red face

Originally Posted by 24hrsAday View Post
it gets worse.. for me it had to get worse for me to get sober again. i never thought i would be back in A.A. and living a sober life.. never say never! i would like to hear others thoughts on this.. thanks in advance!
..i'm glad your sober again..
..just "trying',is so important to beat this disease..lol..Oz..
Old 08-28-2009, 12:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

Whatever it takes.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

looking back on my drinking i can easily see the steady progression.. drinking a fifth of whiskey was unheard of for me just a few years before i was drinking almost two! the words cunning, baffling and powerful always come to mind when i think about how quickly it got out of hand..
Old 08-28-2009, 05:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

the last 8 months of my drinking were unbleivable with how quickly it progressed.it is frightening to look back now.i dont stare though!
Old 08-28-2009, 05:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A slow downward spiral is obvious if i look at the whole picture.

but that picture includes periods of "obstacles" which tended to put the lid on the drinking...ie children or a new job.....maybe in my early twenty's.

although the alcoholism bubbled under the surface and i was unbearable to live with...

when i made amends to my x wife.......she told me that being being at home with me NOT drinking was sometimes worse than me being at home with me drinking.....

Once the morning drink raised the bar......all bets were off......and the progression took on a new speed and depth.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

and for me too i needed to see how bad it could get and have the realisation that much much worse was soon to follow...without the steps and the rooms of AA i would,simply put, be ****** for life!
Old 08-28-2009, 09:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I spiralled downward so quickly and absolutely that I completely lost myself. Addiction is absolutely horrible and relentless, and I am SO grateful to be in recovery today.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I believe the Progression of Alcoholism follows an Exponential Curve getting worse (at least it did in my case). I went for a long time where it progressed slowly, but the longer I went the more it accelerated. At the end I could see marked worsening from relapse to relapse.

The weird thing is, my Alcoholism kept getting exponentially worse no matter how much or how little I drank on a relapse. Also the length of time in the relapse and the time between relapses made no difference. I had two years sober before my last 3 week relapse and the Detox from it literally nearly killed me.

It's like some Twilight Zone Episode. If I drink one drink I am immediately transported into a Parallel Universe where I have never stopped drinking. I instantly go to the very worst Mental and Physical suffering I ever had before and then some. It's quite intimidating knowing that is in store for me should I decide to drink again.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For some reason, I had to destroy everything good and healthy in and about life to prove to myself it didn't work. I was like a mad scientist out to prove my theory and nothing would stop me, not the health problems, not the emotional problems, nothing. I was very quickly spiraling out of control. I HAD to MAKE it worse. If it hadn't been for two people and one cat who wouldn't leave me alone, wouldn't let me destroy them, I have no idea where I would be right now. I haven't been sober long but I don't feel hopeless anymore.
Thanks for the topic This forum has been a god send. I probably wouldn't think about this stuff without the people here :ghug3
Old 08-28-2009, 10:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Here's how alcoholism typically progresses:

SOCIAL DRINKERS — Most Americans are characterized as social drinkers. Statistics indicate, however, that one of every 16 drinkers will become alcoholic.

WARNING SIGNS — The individual begins to drink more frequently and more than his associates. He drinks for confidence or to tolerate or escape problems. No party or other occasion is complete without a couple of drinks. Driving and drinking become routine.

EARLY ALCOHOLISM — With increasing frequency, the individual drinks too much. "Blackouts," or temporary amnesia, occur during or following drinking episodes. He drinks more rapidly than others, sneaks drinks and in other ways conceals the quantity that he drinks. He resents any reference to his drinking habits.

BASIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual begins to lose control as to the time, place and amount of his drinking. He gets drunk unintentionally. He hides and protects his liquor supply. He drinks to overcome the hangover from his prior drinking. He tries new patterns of drinking as to time and place of drinking. He attempts cures by moving to new locations or by changing his drinking companions.

CHRONIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual becomes a loner in his drinking. He develops alibis, excuses and rationalizations to cover up or explain his drinking. Personality and behavior changes occur that affect all relationships — family, employment, community. Extended binges, physical tremors, hallucinations and delirium, complete rejection of social reality, malnutrition with accompanying illness and disease and early death all occur as chronic alcoholism progresses.

Source: American Medical Association
Old 08-28-2009, 11:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by Rad44 View Post
I believe the Progression of Alcoholism follows an Exponential Curve getting worse (at least it did in my case). I went for a long time where it progressed slowly, but the longer I went the more it accelerated. At the end I could see marked worsening from relapse to relapse.

The weird thing is, my Alcoholism kept getting exponentially worse no matter how much or how little I drank on a relapse. Also the length of time in the relapse and the time between relapses made no difference. I had two years sober before my last 3 week relapse and the Detox from it literally nearly killed me.

It's like some Twilight Zone Episode. If I drink one drink I am immediately transported into a Parallel Universe where I have never stopped drinking. I instantly go to the very worst Mental and Physical suffering I ever had before and then some. It's quite intimidating knowing that is in store for me should I decide to drink again.
Thanks for this.

You know, I have been really having a tough time lately accepting life on life's terms to the point where a bender is becoming more than a passing thought. It's a hell of a lot easier to stay sober when everything is going good.

Yeah, there is a new level of misery out there for me if I don't take care of myself.

If I thought it was bad 20 months ago...
Old 08-28-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by boleo View Post
here's how alcoholism typically progresses:

Social drinkers — most americans are characterized as social drinkers. Statistics indicate, however, that one of every 16 drinkers will become alcoholic.

Warning signs — the individual begins to drink more frequently and more than his associates. He drinks for confidence or to tolerate or escape problems. No party or other occasion is complete without a couple of drinks. Driving and drinking become routine.

Early alcoholism — with increasing frequency, the individual drinks too much. "blackouts," or temporary amnesia, occur during or following drinking episodes. He drinks more rapidly than others, sneaks drinks and in other ways conceals the quantity that he drinks. He resents any reference to his drinking habits.

Basic alcoholism — the individual begins to lose control as to the time, place and amount of his drinking. He gets drunk unintentionally. He hides and protects his liquor supply. He drinks to overcome the hangover from his prior drinking. He tries new patterns of drinking as to time and place of drinking. He attempts cures by moving to new locations or by changing his drinking companions.

Chronic alcoholism — the individual becomes a loner in his drinking. He develops alibis, excuses and rationalizations to cover up or explain his drinking. Personality and behavior changes occur that affect all relationships — family, employment, community. Extended binges, physical tremors, hallucinations and delirium, complete rejection of social reality, malnutrition with accompanying illness and disease and early death all occur as chronic alcoholism progresses.

Source: American medical association
worth a bump
Old 08-28-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When water drains out of a bathtub it spins faster and faster as the tub empties. That's my visual image of alcohol progression.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ago

In AA you hear it put differently sometimes in meetings

first it was fun
then it was fun with consequences
then it was just consequences

When i began drinking at age ten I would drink to blackout and lose control of my drinking, when I start drinking it's exponential, 1 + 1 + beer and a shot + beer and a double shot + beer and a triple shot + just the triple shots until I passed out, not every time, but frequently

This is just me, but my alcoholism never "progressed", it ALWAYS looked like that

This is true if I didn't drink for years and years and started again, or if I kept drinking, although I did turn yellow at one point and begin blacking out after the first shot during one particularly bad period of drinking.

I exhibited ALL of these symptoms from the moment I picked up my first drink at age ten (except I didn't start drinking and driving until I was 12 or thirteen, it took me that long to start boosting cars from my and other peoples parents):
the individual begins to drink more frequently and more than his associates. He drinks for confidence or to tolerate or escape problems. No party or other occasion is complete without a couple of drinks. Driving and drinking become routine. the individual drinks too much. "blackouts," or temporary amnesia, occur during or following drinking episodes. He drinks more rapidly than others, sneaks drinks and in other ways conceals the quantity that he drinks. He resents any reference to his drinking habits.
the individual begins to lose control as to the time, place and amount of his drinking. He gets drunk unintentionally. He hides and protects his liquor supply. He drinks to overcome the hangover from his prior drinking. He tries new patterns of drinking as to time and place of drinking. He attempts cures by moving to new locations or by changing his drinking companions, the individual becomes a loner in his drinking. He develops alibis, excuses and rationalizations to cover up or explain his drinking. Personality and behavior changes occur that affect all relationships — family, employment, community.
I have no desire to go find out if it has changed in the meantime
Old 08-28-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I guess the thing that still baffles me completely, how I-or anyone else for that matter-knowing all they know about alcoholism-a head full of AA, so to speak, could decide to go out and give it another try.

Cunning, baffling, powerful, or like I've heard a few times, while I'm busy studying my disease, my disease is busy studying me.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
I guess the thing that still baffles me completely, how I-or anyone else for that matter-knowing all they know about alcoholism-a head full of AA, so to speak, could decide to go out and give it another try.

Cunning, baffling, powerful, or like I've heard a few times, while I'm busy studying my disease, my disease is busy studying me.
Personally I have NEVER wondered why I drank, what is the miracle to me is my sobriety
The classification of alcoholics seems most difficult, and in much detail is outside the scope of this book. There are, of course, the psychopaths who are emotionally unstable. We are all familiar with this type. They are always "going on the wagon for keeps." They are over-remorseful and make many resolutions, but never a decision.

There is the type of man who is unwilling to admit that he cannot take a drink. He plans various ways of drinking. He changes his brand or his environment. There is the type who always believes that after being entirely free from alcohol for a period of time he can take a drink without danger. There is the manic-depressive type, who is, perhaps, the least understood by his friends, and about whom a whole chapter could be written

it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people. The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.

Here was the threat of commitment, the loss of family and position, to say nothing of that intense mental and physical suffering which drinking always caused him. He had much knowledge about himself as an alcoholic. Yet all reasons for not drinking were easily pushed aside in favor of the foolish idea that he could take whiskey if only he mixed it with milk!

Whatever the precise definition of the word may be, we call this plain insanity. How can such a lack of proportion, of the ability to think straight, be called anything else?

You may think this an extreme case. To us it is not far- fetched, for this kind of thinking has been characteristic of every single one of us
one moment of "insanity" and it's "Off to the races" until the wheels fall off again, that is if you are lucky enough to get hit by lightning twice.

BB 1sr ed