Notices

the progression of alcoholism..

Old 08-28-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

This is a thought provoking and scary thread for me. Thanks for bringing it up 24. My drinking and alcoholism was progressing, as Rad 44 said, exponentially at the end.

Since stopping, 13 years ago, my disease may well be doing pushups, getting stronger and preparing to pounce. Strangely enough, I've reached the point where I sometimes believe nothing could make me drink again.

That's dangerous thinking. My kid brother was sober 22 years and went out - and I mean out. His main problem before had been alcohol - within a month he was smoking crack, snorting heroin, and cruising Boston with gangbangers at 3 am. This at age 44.

He's got one year now and has struggled to get this far.

I'm eligible, too. Thank you everyone at SR for helping me keep focused and reminding me of the horrors of this disease.

Mike
Old 08-28-2009, 02:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
I guess the thing that still baffles me completely, how I-or anyone else for that matter-knowing all they know about alcoholism-a head full of AA, so to speak, could decide to go out and give it another try.

Cunning, baffling, powerful, or like I've heard a few times, while I'm busy studying my disease, my disease is busy studying me.
never heard that before.. studying me.. i think that is scary as hell and most likely true!
Old 08-28-2009, 02:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mikel60 View Post
This is a thought provoking and scary thread for me. Thanks for bringing it up 24. My drinking and alcoholism was progressing, as Rad 44 said, exponentially at the end.

Since stopping, 13 years ago, my disease may well be doing pushups, getting stronger and preparing to pounce. Strangely enough, I've reached the point where I sometimes believe nothing could make me drink again.

That's dangerous thinking. My kid brother was sober 22 years and went out - and I mean out. His main problem before had been alcohol - within a month he was smoking crack, snorting heroin, and cruising Boston with gangbangers at 3 am. This at age 44.

He's got one year now and has struggled to get this far.

I'm eligible, too. Thank you everyone at SR for helping me keep focused and reminding me of the horrors of this disease.

Mike
thank you for this mike.. it means a lot! people at A.A. sometimes don't like it when i say i could be drunk tomorrow.. but, for me i need it to remember.. it kicked my ass and could again on any given 24 hours..