Notices

feelings of anxiety

Old 08-27-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question feelings of anxiety

I have been drinking since i was 15 and i am 21. I mostly just drink with friends but its everyweekend and maybe twice a weekend or so. Well I had a panic attack ( i got it the next day of a night i had been drinking, tho i only had a few beers that night ) 2 years ago and ive had anxiety ( feeling really stressed out all the time ) and i never had it before so i was wondering if I stopped drinking if this would help my anxiety and also If it helps with feeling more happy?
Old 08-27-2009, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's my experience that drinking caused a lot of anxiety and depression for me. Alcohol is a depressant and I was having anxiety attacks all the time. I am most definitely happier since stopping drinking.

I'm glad you found us!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

My anxiety all but disappeared when I quit drinking. I had no idea I was actually causing it. Now I go to the gym if I feel a little worked up, but I have never suffered from the type of anxiety I had when I was drinking, since I quit.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I got my first panic attack when hungover in a movie theater a few years ago. I'm about 5 weeks sober, the longest I've been in years, and anxiety has cleared up almost entirely. The times I do get anxious, it will be a situation where some degree of anxiety can be reasonably expected - going into a large full stadium - flying - public speaking - first day of college classes - etc. Sometimes I feel almost like I'm walking around on sedatives just being sober.

But then, some people have pre-existing anxiety which is aggravated by alcohol. Mine was largely caused by alcohol.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's not the entire story for everybody, but my couldn't get out of bed depression and paralyzing panic attacks went completely away when I stopped drinking.

Two other disclaimers that may or may not apply: I desperately took AA's 12 steps from the very start, and some have depression/anxiety that is not alcohol related.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you guys so much, your stories definatly help!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR queenofheartz

put me down as another who's anxiety is way less now that I'm sober...and, although it took a while, because alcohol is a depressant, I found cutting it out made me a much happier person too.

I hope you give it a try

D
Old 08-27-2009, 04:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the Sober Recovery community.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi.
I'm no stranger to anxiety from the drink. Actually I would take an old fashioned hangover any day rather than "the guilts" and the anxiety I have suffered after a night of binge boozing. I've had many panic attacks on days after too much alcohol. It's an awful feeling. I'm just new here and not many days in of sobriety yet but I can practically guarantee that stopping will alleviate a lot of anxiety and depression.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

mostly depression with me.

mild depression has returned in the last......5 years ish....brief episodes.

BUT..

since getting sober my view of the episodes of depression have changed..

i used to blame it.......use it.........maximise it......whallow in it.....and blame my genes for it.

today i call it mild.......i know it has an ending and i use certain actions to minimise it.

its a mild illness that has nothing to do with my alcoholism..imo.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You need to find your baseline of anxiety...which means removing alcohol from the equation. Don't drink for two months, then see where you are at with the anxiety and panic attacks. If they get better, the alcohol was making it worse. If it stays the same, you should talk to your primary care physician, and he can help diagnose possible causes (generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, etc.)