Notices

New to the forums - glad to be here

Old 08-26-2009, 05:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the forums - glad to be here

4 days without a drink now. Headaches, pains in my face and abdomen, liver pains, but not too bad. None of the very extreme symptoms other people have talked about here. Reading some of the stories, I see how much worse things could be for me, but hopefully I've stopped in time, and can make it stick this time around.

The drink has damaged my life over the past few years: lost my ambition, don't do the things I used to enjoy doing, look like an over weight slob from all the wine, wake up in the mornings cursing myself and what I've done to myself. 37 years old, and I'd almost given up.

I've tried to stop before on my own, but it never sticks. The usual - 10 days sober and I say to myself: "Well, it wasn't so bad" and "I didn't drink that much really...", or I'd be reading a book or watching a TV Show where the characters are drinking, and... you know what I'm talking about.

So I'm hoping that this forum might help keep me on track. Anyway - 4 days and going strong.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad to have you Darren. Welcome to SR.

Do you have a program of recovery?

Keep posting....

Mark
Old 08-26-2009, 05:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good to see your post, Darren. I stopped drinking at 36 and felt much the same as you. I figured it was too late to rebuild or rejuventate my life.

Boy, was I wrong! Keep posting, and don't drink! Your life will get better!

Mine has, immeasurably.

Mike

Last edited by mikel60; 08-26-2009 at 05:29 AM. Reason: spilling
Old 08-26-2009, 05:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Darren37 View Post
4 days without a drink now. Headaches, pains in my face and abdomen, liver pains, but not too bad. None of the very extreme symptoms other people have talked about here. Reading some of the stories, I see how much worse things could be for me, but hopefully I've stopped in time, and can make it stick this time around.

The drink has damaged my life over the past few years: lost my ambition, don't do the things I used to enjoy doing, look like an over weight slob from all the wine, wake up in the mornings cursing myself and what I've done to myself. 37 years old, and I'd almost given up.

I've tried to stop before on my own, but it never sticks. The usual - 10 days sober and I say to myself: "Well, it wasn't so bad" and "I didn't drink that much really...", or I'd be reading a book or watching a TV Show where the characters are drinking, and... you know what I'm talking about.

So I'm hoping that this forum might help keep me on track. Anyway - 4 days and going strong.

Can totally relate...I too am 37 and am 4 days in...feel very flu-like today...headache, shakey and sooooo tired...I so know what you mean about watching a TV show where you see them drinking...happened to me last night...makes you feel 'deprived' ...until you start to remind yourself of where it takes you. Coming here is the first time I have admitted I have a problem and I have found coming back and reading very helpful when I'm having a moment...good luck and hope to see you about...
Old 08-26-2009, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome!

If you haven't already, now would be a great time to get checked out by a doctor. I know you feel that the withdrawal symptoms you're going through aren't as bad as you've read, but pain near the liver (the liver has no pain receptors, the pain you feel is from the swelling and/or fluid being excreted by it) is very very serious and should be checked out. Maybe get some blood taken to make sure you're not dealing with anything that should be treated.

It gets better.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome guys. It's appreciated.

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
Do you have a program of recovery?
Mark
I haven't got a program yet or even really thought about it. I made the decision to stop on Sunday and haven't given much thought beyond getting over the first week.

but pain near the liver ... is very very serious.
I never really thought about that Smacked. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Darren, welcome to SR. As Mark asked "do you have a program of recovery?" Believe me I had many, many failed attemps at sobriey by going it alone. This place is great and can help a lot but it cannot take the place of being around others that can totally relate to your situation. Don't make the same mistake I made over and over thinking that there is an easier softer way only to end up right back where you left off.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Lovin' life!

4 days!

I remember...thank God, one day at a time, that I NEVER have to do that again!

Hugs to you!!!

Old 08-26-2009, 07:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

nice one darren..im glad your here.
be wise and get to the docs........liver function test..maybe some vits.

Be honest about your drinking and get a check up at least.

that said im glad you realize that you and your way wont keep you sober and you gonna need to try something different.

get to an AA meeting or look into other programs of recovery.

i got into aa and stopped the cylcle of repeated drinking..

keep posting id be interested on how your getting on..

and if i can be of any help please pm me anytime.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Darren,

Welcome!

I am glad that you have stopped drinking and are looking for support for your recovery.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Darren, a visit to the doc is a well advised thing to do along with being honest with the doc as well.

BTW I was 52 when I finally got and stayed sober, I quit many times before that for varying lengths of time and always went back to drinking thinking "It will be different this time, I will control my drinking!" It was never different, unless one would call my drinking getting worse different.

I finally stayed sober by working a recovery program, for me it was AA, there are others though AA is what worked for me.

I can tell you that it was as though I was reborn into a new life thanks to the program & fellowship of AA.

You have MANY good years ahead of you if you stay sober, I have a lot of good years as well if I stay sober. My marriage and my life today are beyond my widest dreams today, I am not talking about material things, but mental/spiritual things...... material things are getting better also but they are no where near as pleasing as being free from the bondage of my alcoholism.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I'll put in my vote for a docs visit to get checked out!

Welcome, and congrats on making such a wise decision for the rest of your life.