Notices

Feeling terrible...after interview

Old 08-26-2009, 03:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling terrible...after interview

Hi, I just got back home after a job interview for a call centre job, man I am reminded how much I hate the corporate world and all it stands for again, but I desperately need to get back into employment so I can get a car and save for University which I now realise more than ever I wan't to go to next September. Why do you want to work here in a high pressure environemt? yadayadayada, well I can come out with all the bullsh*t well and all was going great and I was feeling good, but then this snaky corporate lizard of a women started grilling me on why I left my previous job and why I left Uni etcetcetc and why didn't you talk to your manager at previous employment about any issues you had, yer right get real you stupid B*tch!! They make me laugh these people do, what could I say? I was suffering from real bad depression and drinking myself to oblivion to forget about how sh*t my life was becoming with every oppurtunity I had so I had to get out whilst I could before I drank myslef to death, you stupid woman.

I was treated really badly by a manager at previous employers tbh but how can you explain stuff, when she asks me what I mean when I say I have changed and am a different person now, what can I realistically say? Well I'm a recovering alcoholic thus I won't be drinking myself to oblivion on every oppurtunity to forget about how much I hate working in these mundane, boring, repetive jobs filled with Mini-Adolf Hitlers walking around taking there pittance of a pay cheque wilst the directors are making millions.

Anyway enough of my ranting but I felt really upset with certain questions that were asked and obviously it's very difficult to answer questions over certain things as things are very personal and sensitive and you ain't gonna tell these people in 2 minutes. Anyway there would have been nothing more than I would have liked to have gone straight to the shop and bought loads of booze and just get absolutely smashed in the past but I am gratefull that I would not do that to myself anymore as that would be them winning and I ain't gonna let them get me down.

This too shall pass... To thine own self be true... I am gratefull I can spill this on SR as I feel very upset as it is not nice having very sensitive and personal issues talked about by these people so flippantly and clear-cut, as if it was an easy decision to leave University, job etcetc, they will never appreciate the depths to which I sunk emotionally and how even surviving was a monumental task, but what doesn't kill us makes us stronger and today I will not drink.

Peace, Love and Happiness xx
Old 08-26-2009, 03:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

oh yer 7 weeks sober today!! Something to be pleased about I suppose...
Old 08-26-2009, 03:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey NEO, last job (before the present one) was one of those jobs. I was new to recovery and one of the girls in the office was OBVIOUSLY on drugs and drinking, late to work, had slept with the Gen. Manager and she was NASTY MEAN!!!! Mind you it was her, not me but I walked out of there on a Friday.........just walked out. I had it with her and management wasn't going to do anything about her because he was married.

Anyway, so there I was job hunting again and when I interviewed with my boss that I have now he asked why I left the last job, could he call them for a reference? I told him no he could not call that I would provide other references and that I walked out of there due to a "very unstable work environment." I didn't give him details, just left it at that. I've been with him almost a year now.

He respected my honesty and the fact that I wasn't going to tolerate working in a place that ok'd the bad behavior.

Also, my boss did a back ground check on me because of the position I was taking, I do all the accounting, banking, payroll, I'm his right hand there..........however, we have since hired two people, I have done all the interviewing and I never called a reference. I based who I hired off of the interview and what qualifications they had on their resume'. The position was for just a general so there was no need for all the red tape.

BTW, while you got picked on, I was amazed at some of the things that people would actually tell me during an interview, their personal stories, family stuff, what was going on in their lives. Eeeeek!!!!!! Stick to being the professional and you'll be ok.

Job hunting isn't fun, I'll give you that for sure.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OH YEAH!!! And CONGRATS on the 7 weeks!!! Kick @ss!!!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 04:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

*Update*

I just this second got a call back from the company saying that I have been successful in the first stage interview and I have a second interview. I wasn't expecting that and I may have been being far too hard on myself and lacking the confidence in my self as per usual.

The woman said that I seemed to get very despondent towards the end of the interview and that she couldn't understand why, I just said it's because I have done a lot of maturing and growing up as a person over the last 9 months and just want to be given a chance.

The real reason is that it pains me greatly to have my past raked up as it brings back memories and feelings of how I felt during really bad times in that period and rakes up mistakes I have made. I feel like I have literally been born again so really want to be judged by the person I am now ie - recovering alcoholic and non clinically depressed person rather than the person who was totally and utterly lost and wondered what was wrong with him and lived for the next binge to try to make him "feel" something again.

Anyway it was a stark reminder of how drinking immediately rears it's head when I feel strong emotions and I successfully managed to not drink (I never considered it realistically) and how I have a personality which is very vulnerable to drink and drug abuse, some people are just made that way I guess.

I am so grateful for SR for allowing me to spill my feelings and anger as opposed to picking up a drink. It is never worth it.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah.. try explaining that you left a nice gvmnt job that you had for a long time when the truth is they kicked you out because you were a hopeless drunk.
"Can we call your former boss and ask about you "??
Yeah... do that..

There are no failures - just experiences and your reactions to them.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ps - Just read my intital post and I am sorry for anyone who may take offence to the expletives I used and the generally derogatory and agressive tone.

I figured I was better to spill it out and release it by posting on SR than to get wasted...So I did. I'm sure people on SR would have said why didn't you just post instead of drinking if I hadn't.

Anyway I was just talking honestly how I felt at that time and it may well all work out in the end anyway. Life on Lifes terms... as they say.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Carefull, your progress is showing! It looks good on you!
Old 08-26-2009, 05:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No need for apologies as far as I'm concerned Neo...can understand why you got so riled and yes its far better to vent it out here than pick up...welldone u on working thru it all and for the 7 weeks, that's great! Good luck with the job ...the fact you got up and went to the interview is progression in itself hey
Old 08-26-2009, 05:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Since sobriety has to be #1 congrats on 7 weeks.

Glad to hear you got past the first interview and are on your way to the second one. Here is something to try that may shock you with the results.

Be honest in your next interview, I am not saying to tell them every detail of everything, but in a very general way tell them the truth. Beleive it or not, people respect honesty.

At a minimum you will walk away from the second interview with out any guilt, but more then likely you will walk away with a job. In an entry level position one of the most important things being sought by an employer is honesty and personality.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Neo, you are doing a great job mate, Good work on your 7 weeks !!!
Old 08-26-2009, 05:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Tazman, as it happens l have to go for a 2nd intervieuw in about an hour . ( it's 14.40 here in Holland now.)
l would like to say l got fired because l went to detox just once to often, but l am doing ok now.
But l am scared they will think "Why hire him? Could be a lot of trouble.. there are 10 others that don't have such a past.. lets hire them instead and save ourselfs a lot of trouble."
l just don't dare be honest.

Many receive advice, few profit by it.
Publilius Syrus (~100 BC), Maxims
Old 08-26-2009, 05:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think that is great that you didn't go out and get smashed after that interview. It sounded really stressful. You did the right thing to vent here and then NOT drink. Well done. There are always going to be people in life that get to us one way or another. The trick is learning how to deal with them (I'm still learning at age 45

And it sounds like it was all very positive, anyhow! Bravo on that. Give yourself some credit, you did great. And don't worry about any expletives. We all feel that way from time to time!
Old 08-26-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Neo,

I did the job-searching thing last year and it was brutal. It's really hard to put yourself out there for other people to look at and try to figure out if they want you to work for them or not.

I'm glad you got called back for a second interview. Good luck!
Old 08-26-2009, 06:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

NeoM -- Good luck. We are pulling for you!
Old 08-26-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats on 7 weeks Neo! Thank you for your post, I'm a Human Resources manager and I know I've often been tough on applicants; generally though if an applicant tells me something like they had 'personal issues' and that the issues have been resolved and/or are manageable now I wouldn't hold it against them. Hope you gt the job!
Old 08-26-2009, 07:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

No need to apologize for language in my opinion.

The best advice I ever received regardings jobs and interviews was to stop thinking about myself and how much I needed 'a job, any job', and to start thinking about why the company could use me, need me, and what I could provide the company as an employee.

I had to better realize that the company wasn't there to help provide people jobs, the company was there to provide jobs for people who could help the company.

Put yourself in their chair?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I hope you rode high off that second interview! I hope it went well too.

I think my response to a situation such as that is to say to the interviewer, "We all had a little growing up to do at some point...and I learned a lot." Or some form of words such as that.

Good luck.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You have an opportunity to go back to University and get a qualification in something that will have something to do with what you like doing...there are loads of jobs out there that skip the corporate BS...it is down to you to make sure you don't end up sitting in a cubicle in an office and have the freedom you want...no-one says you have to work to make millions, it is your life...well no-one except the main influences in your life, the media and about everyone you speak to lol but there are exceptions and you can be one!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I so understand how you feel. I go through it with background checks on jobs. Yea..I have done some pretty serious stuff. None of which I ever got caught for..Thank goodness. And of all the ones I do have on my record. Is one that didnt even happen like that. So now I am constantly reminded of my mistakes and also condemned falsly. Left ot try and explain that the cop had it out for me and charged me with the worst thing he could. Which is honestly true. No excuses...even tho it sounds like one.
I worked in a call center last year for about 4 mos. I hated it. I took a housekeeping job at a hotel just to get out of there I hated it so much.
But it was a job and it payed well.
I know I come down on myself alot when I am unsure of things. When people are goingto question me on every little thing. And even more so when I am in desperate need of something they are offering. Liek a job. It feels as tho sometimes you can never live your past down.
But all I can do is do my best. SHOW them that I am not that person anymore. Explain the best way possible and be very honest about anything they may have to know.
Admit my mistakes and let them know I am not in that place anymore.
all you can do is your best. Eventually it will pay off.
I am happy you got a second interview and congrats on 7 weeks.
Just hang in there and be yourself.