Notices

Addiction/Nutrition/Cravings

Old 08-25-2009, 09:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction/Nutrition/Cravings

I found the following thread (at the bottom) and given my questions about being obsessed with ice cream/sugar right now (and I literally mean OBSESSED matched with shame like when I use to drink too much) AND a stronger desire to drink right now than the first two months of sobriety...I am doing some SR research. Thank goodness I can read from those who came before me.

Has anyone done the Seven Weeks to Sobriety?

Here is the link about nutrition and addiction and cravings:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-sobriety.html

What do you do, if anything to help control cravings via food/supplements?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just eat regular, healthy, and tasty meals. I try to make sure to include lots of fruits and vegetables, and to change up the colors of the vegetables, and the types of meats. Some colors of vegetables have different nutrients and vitamins that other colors don't. I mainly eat chicken and fish, and keep red meat to a minimum. Bananas provide B vitamins, pottasium, and can increase a chemical called serotonin somehow, which are all good for anxiety. That combined with a multivitamin works for me.

I have developed a sweet tooth after stopping cigs and drinking, but that's cool because I never really enjoyed sweets before the way others seemed to and also luckily I have a good metabolism.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had the same cravings I never liked sweets but wheh I stopped I could eat a whole cake. I was severly under weight when I stopped I was 6'4 and weighed around 130 or so I eventually gained up to 220 but now Im around 190 so it worked out well for me.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

l-glutamine is supposed to help sugar and alcohol cravings- not sure if it works though, sugar cravings go away, if you indulge smartly, I mean a little (more than the average person) but not crazy, I probably had at least a little chocolate everyday for the first 6 months of recovery, it eventually goes away or mellows

realize that you were LOADING your body with tons of sugar before, your body is just adjusting, I found it a better policy to listen to my body than fight it, and I lost weight as well because a little dark chocolate is better than 8+ drinks...