Notices

I want to stop

Old 08-25-2009, 09:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

TJane -- You go, girl! Great job so far.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

TraderJane, THANKYOU! This is exactly how I feel.
I use booze to take the edge off, and I managed two months without a drop.
(In which time, I saved my drinkng money and bought my first motorcycle!)

I wish you all the best, I have since gone back to drinking, and utterly hate it.
I am drinking right now, to take the edge off a bad day, but thankyou for your post, it helped me a little,.

CHEERS!
Old 08-26-2009, 01:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Original I'm sorry to hear that you're in the grip of alcohol right now and hating every minute of it....you can start again...dont give up giving up...today could be a good day to give it a go? I'm rooting for you!
Old 08-26-2009, 02:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are chooseing to have a
healthy positive sober future....

Off the fence....into action Laura
Old 08-26-2009, 03:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
catch-22

I used to drink a lot of wine, nice wine, expensive wine, which I loved... I loved the taste of it, especially some very grassy New Zealand Sauvignons... I absolutely adored it! Shame I could not stop at a couple of glasses... I had to drink two bottles.... every night... a very expensive "habit"...
Old 08-26-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The "been there, done that" points have resonated with me recently. I consider traveling to Europe or the Caribbean where I've enjoyed libations and wonder how I'll enjoy such experiences like that in the future. I won't and that's good. I'll be out exploring and living instead of sitting in a dark tavern. Every day (107!) my confidence builds that I'm going to enjoy traveling -- an all other aspects of life -- even more without booze.

Had some good times with friends and family over drinks, but I can't follow that path anymore. Last week I went on a vacation with family where there's been lots of drinking in the past. It wasn't that difficult not to drink, and in no way shape or form do I regret NOT drinking. We all could pause and ask ourselves that question: "After being presented with an opportunity to drink and passing on it, have you ever regretted NOT drinking?" I bet there's not a person on this board who would answer yes to that question.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freeport View Post
Had some good times with friends and family over drinks, but I can't follow that path anymore.
This is so true....had a friend call me last night...I saw her number come up and I'm ashamed to say that I ignored the call....I got in touch with her today and she said that she was asking me over for a few drinks....obviously I kinda knew that, hence the 'blind eye' that was turned...next time I'll answer and say 'sure'.....that will be my real test....
Old 08-26-2009, 07:04 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Lovin' life!

social drinker

i was ALWAYS a social drinker, lol...the fact remains that I drank socially in an alcoholic fashion. In sobriety I've come to understand alcoholism as an illness, a "dis-ease" and the alcohol itself only one symptom. Today I don't want to drink, it's up to me to do all of the thinks that I've been taught by the twelve steps and the people around the tables to achieve that one simple goal. It's not easy, but it's worth it.

:praying
Old 08-26-2009, 08:38 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keen2bclean View Post
This is so true....had a friend call me last night...I saw her number come up and I'm ashamed to say that I ignored the call....I got in touch with her today and she said that she was asking me over for a few drinks....obviously I kinda knew that, hence the 'blind eye' that was turned...next time I'll answer and say 'sure'.....that will be my real test....
I've found it very useful that when I got to a social gathering or a party I tell the host/hostess that I'm not drinking anymore (I just explain that it interferes with my meds and everyone accepts that) so if I feel tempted to drink, I'll have my friend asking me why I'm drinking and I'll feel stupid. It's important to be as honest as you can with friends about why you quit drinking. Most of my friends said, "good for you." I did have some friends try to pressure me to drink when we were out a few weeks ago, but I just stood my ground and said no. Just ask them if they have any soda, juice or water and you can still drink something with them. If any alcohol is just too great a temptation for you, then tell your friend you'd love to chat with them but not when booze is around. If they're more than just a drinking friend, they'll understand and want to talk to you anyways. But if your relationship was predicated upon you always drinking with them, they might not be good friends to progress with in your sobreity.

Good luck and you're on the right path. Keep up that good attitude and know you can do this.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I was a bartender. I shot on the pool league.I enjoyed the nights out w/my "friends". 9 days in and I am wondering about my friends...who will stay @ the bar and who will stand w/me and support me. I already know the answer and it's kinda sad. I met my boyfriend 5 years ago when I was a bartender. When it comes to friends - this may be the most heartbreaking of it all. The 1st time I told him I decided 2 quit drinking, his response was "Does that mean I have to quit drinking too?" His next statement, "We're still gonna have my b-day party, right?" I gave in on his birthday and gave in 2 more times after that. The 3rd time, our anniversary, we went back 2 the place we met - a bar. I told him how I serious I am this time, but how serious is he? Saturday we are supposed to be going to a bar/restaurant to watch a PPV fight. I'm sure if I said I'd rather not go, he would support that and we would not go. I feel like he is trying 2 test me and put that temptation out there 4 me. What should I expect from him? Is it fair 4 me to ask him 2 quit drinking? We don't live 2gether, so his nites out w/the guys would still be available for him. He did say he wouldn't drink when its just the 2 of us. In the last 5 years, we've been thru a lot, but this may be that straw.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

People, places and things sdksmadre.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:59 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sdksmadre View Post
I was a bartender. I shot on the pool league.I enjoyed the nights out w/my "friends". 9 days in and I am wondering about my friends...who will stay @ the bar and who will stand w/me and support me. I already know the answer and it's kinda sad. I met my boyfriend 5 years ago when I was a bartender. When it comes to friends - this may be the most heartbreaking of it all. The 1st time I told him I decided 2 quit drinking, his response was "Does that mean I have to quit drinking too?" His next statement, "We're still gonna have my b-day party, right?" I gave in on his birthday and gave in 2 more times after that. The 3rd time, our anniversary, we went back 2 the place we met - a bar. I told him how I serious I am this time, but how serious is he? Saturday we are supposed to be going to a bar/restaurant to watch a PPV fight. I'm sure if I said I'd rather not go, he would support that and we would not go. I feel like he is trying 2 test me and put that temptation out there 4 me. What should I expect from him? Is it fair 4 me to ask him 2 quit drinking? We don't live 2gether, so his nites out w/the guys would still be available for him. He did say he wouldn't drink when its just the 2 of us. In the last 5 years, we've been thru a lot, but this may be that straw.
If he can't respect the fact that you don't want to go to a bar or a place where there is booze, he should either go by himself or not at all, if he indeed loves you. I don't know if it's fair to ask him to quit drinking completely, but if its a trigger for you, it's fair to ask him to stop drinking around you. You'd think non-alcoholics would be able to enjoy themselves without drinking...
Old 08-27-2009, 12:37 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by original View Post
I use booze to take the edge off I saved my drinkng money and bought my first motorcycle!)

Somewhat off topic but what bike did you buy?
Old 08-27-2009, 05:12 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Clay, I love your quote. "Crazy" is one of my favorite songs ever. :-)
Old 08-27-2009, 06:02 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks Clay...just what I needed to read right now ...much appreciated

I love the quote too...how true is that hey...
Old 08-27-2009, 06:35 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keen2bclean View Post
Thanks Clay...just what I needed to read right now ...much appreciated

I love the quote too...how true is that hey...
No problem, it's just the truth. He has to decide what's more important, loving and supporting you through this and getting love from you or drinking at the pub with his mates (see I'm getting better with this Brit speak haha). If he loves you the choice is obvious. I would also recommend you find activities/events you both can attend that don't involve drinking and get him to come along. I would imagine there's no shortage of such activities in a big city like London. And try making friends with couples who aren't so dependent upon drinking to have fun. You might find such people in AA or other alcohol recovery programs.

Good luck.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:42 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClayTheScribe View Post
I've found it very useful that when I got to a social gathering or a party I tell the host/hostess that I'm not drinking anymore (I just explain that it interferes with my meds and everyone accepts that) so if I feel tempted to drink, I'll have my friend asking me why I'm drinking and I'll feel stupid. It's important to be as honest as you can with friends about why you quit drinking. Most of my friends said, "good for you." I did have some friends try to pressure me to drink when we were out a few weeks ago, but I just stood my ground and said no. Just ask them if they have any soda, juice or water and you can still drink something with them. If any alcohol is just too great a temptation for you, then tell your friend you'd love to chat with them but not when booze is around. If they're more than just a drinking friend, they'll understand and want to talk to you anyways. But if your relationship was predicated upon you always drinking with them, they might not be good friends to progress with in your sobreity.

Good luck and you're on the right path. Keep up that good attitude and know you can do this.
Lol Clay that was me saying thanks for the above...needed to hear it....I think you're last post is referring to the original poster....lol @ the brit speak, ten out of ten
Old 08-27-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Glad to hear it Laura!!! I too tried a little moderated drinking and although I think I have been pretty successful for the most part I am just done with it. Life is SOOOOO much better without it.

Heres to the good life!! :ghug3