Notices

Not sure about how to do this.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure about how to do this.

I really want to stop and I know I can, but when I'm alone, which is most of the time, and bored, drinking is what my mind goes to. I really try to do other things, but the voice in the back of my head just won't leave me alone.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Yes I know that voice well, it killed me many times. Welcome to SR jb, keep posting here and go out and do some other things, pics, library, dare I say an AA meet or go see a D&A Counsellor.

Kevin
Old 08-23-2009, 01:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep loneliness and isolation ensured that, for me, i would end up drinking...a day, a month..whatever...sta8 back to the drink and that temporary 'comfort'!

If you look at it from this perspective for a minute...what if you could go to a place to meet new friends who considered their sobriety more important than anything else in their lives and who understood what you were going through, at the same time liking you for who you are and always having a kind and supportive word to say...offering you their telephone numbers for support and inviting you for coffees and non-drinking events...whilst also showing you a way to live your life happy, contented and at peace...would you pick up the phone and go and meet them...that's all AA is for you to start with and all you have to do, when you have a moment of 'man id do anything to stop this ****', is to google AA in your area and ring the contact number.

Welcome...keep reading here and thinking:-)
Old 08-23-2009, 01:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, AA is a good option to consider, but what I found more important than anything in-order to stay away from using drink is to 100% decide that drinking cannot and is not an option, period. Untill I came to this decision then inevitably I would drink again.

To come to this decision, and thus stick with it, I had to come to the conclusion that I am an alcoholic and that I am powerless over alcohol once I take that first drink. Drinking cannot be an option. Try to break the habit of using drinking as an activity. I had many failed attempts before reaching where I am now.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is a big trigger for me and the cause of most of my relapses, being on your own and wondering what to do.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"the voice in the back of my head just won't leave me alone..."

It always lies to me too.

Once I realized the voice is/was 100% lies & untruths it was easier to laugh at it's absurdity.

Keep coming back.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

it's the opposite for me... i dont want to stop drinking and using drugs.. but the "voice in the back of my head" tells me i should... good news is that it only takes a few shots to shut her up
Old 08-23-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Came late to this thread but really related to it. The voice is subtle and wants to be your friend. It is you and yet it also wants to destroy you.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That was one of my main reasons for drinking as well, bored. Fortunetly it finally hit me that alcohol did not change anything I was still bored and in addition I had the hangovers/regrets/guilt. Took me quite a while to adjust w/o alcohol but I'm not bored at all now and not much has changed besides the fact that I don't drink
Old 08-23-2009, 07:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sara

Nice twist, love it. Yeah it doesn't take much to shut it up but yours is playing the reverse whammy onya. Got it sussed though I see and seeing through its pathetic game to stop you from drinking. Well done.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

It's been a long time, but I remember the voice she's talking about... It's not the same voice we are used to thinking about

When I was heavily drinking before I became sober the first time, my logical, rational self was reduced to a wee little voice that the alcohol was trying to drown. But it was there, telling me to slow down.

Unfortunately that little voice was not enough to make me get sober, but it did make me do some research on sobriety, which is what I think Sara is doing.

Most of us had to hit a very hard bottom before we started really looking for sobriety. Sara, I hope you turn out to be smarter than we were!

-Goat
Old 08-23-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to SR jb!

I had to get my head on the same page as my heart. In my heart, I knew I was an alcoholic and needed help. But my head kept justifying another drink: it's just a glass of wine, you made it all week without a drink, you can cut back tomorrow, etc.......

I needed to get my head to accept the fact I was addicted: SR has this helpful link posted under Alcoholism and it was just what I needed to get my head and heart on the same page!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I bought that book and it's followup "Beyond the Influence". It changed my life!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Justbored

yeah I know those feelings all to well and know where your coming from. Be strong and maybe follow some of the suggestions already posted.

Good luck and all the best.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Boredom is one of the toughest hurdles to overcome in Sobriety because of Alcohols ability to make Time dissappear. I was a Home Alone Drunk and whenever I get faced with that scenario of being Home Alone for long periods of time, drinking begins to weigh heavily on my mind.

To combat this, I try to pack as much Mental and Physical activity into my down time as I possibly can. Video Games, Internet Surfing, Movies, Exercise, Walking the Dog, To Do List, Cooking, Sports, Sleeping/Naps. It just needs to be something I am interested in and holds my attention.

Just sitting there bored listening to the nagging Alcoholic Voice is a recipe for disaster. Being unconcious or semi-concious through Alcohol as a way to pass the time is one of the worst and certainly least productive things I could ever do. If I commit to occupying my time with other things I enjoy, Alcohol then becomes an unwanted disruption. Alcohol would certainly ruin any activity I planned and so becomes something to be avoided rather than a solution to boredom.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

One of the main things for me is, I am always alone. I walk my big dumb dog till he drags his feet and you can only exercise so much. I really would like to try the AA route, but I am ridiculously shy, which is why I'm all alone. Most of the time I just feel like a lost cause, but I know I'm not.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think the AA route would be perfect for you! You would (hopefully) lose a big part of your shyness and at the same time conquer your alcohol problem.
Just bite the bullet and give it a try!
All the best to you!
Old 08-23-2009, 11:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

JustBored, I remember reading long ago, "You make a decision to be bored." Question: If you could be doing exactly what you want, what would that be? I understand being introverted and it's not clear why you have to spend so much time alone. Sounds like you need to make a deliberate attempt to step out or things may never change. This website is a first step. Good for you! As you are a dog guardian, have you thought of volunteering at your local animal shelter? ... They are always looking for people to walk dogs & animals don't care if you are shy. Anything to let that little voice know you don't have time to talk today. Good luck, amigo.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I do just need to bite the bullet, I do not have any idea what I'm afraid of, but I guess that would be a post for another forum