Notices

Hello

Old 08-20-2009, 08:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

I realized tonight I have a problem with binge drinking and have had for a few years. It was a struggle for me not to run out and buy liquor tonight. I need advice.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Hello and welcome to the Sober recovery community.
Have you considered calling the A.A. Hotline?
Chances are that someone will return your call
and help you in any way possible to stay sober.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 08-20-2009, 08:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome...

Quitting drinking was the wisest thing I ever did.
I sure hope you too will find a healthy future.

Yes! you too can win over alohol
Old 08-20-2009, 08:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Hey, Bored.

I'm pretty much not the person to be handing out advice. Coming off a few days of not doing what I ought to.

But you already mentioned the best I can suggest--don't go buy liquor. It only holds off the inevitable. And that inevitable is not pleasant.

Other than that, well, I don't know yet, or I wouldn't be sitting here shaking. Stay strong, somebody will come along with something. And check out the stickies for things you can be doing instead of drinking.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi there, WELCOME!!!!

I am a binge drinker as well. It was tough for me because I was an every other day binger so I really had to mix it up. After a few days I felt like I was fine and would start questioning if I really did have a problem...I do!! After detoxing I did whatever I could to not give in, usually going for a walk, reading, getting out and going to the gym, anything to break my habit. The weekends were tough for me, still are at times, I have a little over 50 days sober, but things will get easier. Keep a journal of what your going through, hang out here, I don't know if your in a recovery program but if you are make meetings and reach out....and definitely keep posting =)

~Jade
Old 08-20-2009, 10:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If it makes you feel any better, when I stopped drinking I would be extremely anxious, to the point of fits, until 11 pm because that's when the last liquor store in my neighborhood closed. I still hate to think about that time of night. Eventually you start looking forward to other things like a book you're reading ..or writing, or whatever.

Good luck. I'm in the same boat as you.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi justbored

my advice is to read and post here as often as you can, and get some ideas about what might work for you - and just take it one day at a time - 'I will not drink today'.

Its always best to visit a doctor when you plan to quit as well - it's important to get as much support and advice from as many areas as you can...

And lean on us for support and encouragement

Welcome!
D
Old 08-21-2009, 04:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

read, read, read here. there are so many people here who are just like you. i am a binge drinker as well. i can hold off on not drinking but when i do...well beer is just like potato chips to me--i can't have just one.
welcome to SR
Old 08-21-2009, 04:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Bored, I was a binge drinker in my early drinking days, if I drank one I was drinking A LOT!!! Until it was gone, the money was gone, or oblivion came!

I progressed into a daily drinker then for the last 5 years of my drinking, I was owned by alcohol, I did not draw a sober breath for 5 years.

Long story short I use AA to stay sober and live life rather then exist in either a drunken state or one of insanely thinking about a drink and being miserable. AA is chock full of sober binge drinker along with folks like me who have all found a common solution to our alcoholism.

AA is far from being the only way of staying sober and makes no claim of being the only way, but I can attest that myself and millions of others are sober and happy today thanks to AA.

Why not try a program of recovery, AA or what ever, why stay sober alone, or worse yet, stay drunk and alone.

Trust me when I say that many of us, my self included, try for many years in some cases to stay sober our own way by just not drinking, most of us that stay sober for a year or more do so by using a recovery program and support group of some sort, some develop thier own recovery program and are successful at it, but most folks do not succeed doing it thier way.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well I made it though last night. I went and got my jumprope and did that a while then I just went to sleep, but it worked.
Quitting drinking and smoking at the same time is quite a bi**h!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you!

Finding something else to do at the times you would have been drinking is a good idea!
Old 08-21-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

((Bohemianzen,)) .".well beer is just like potato chips to me--i can't have just one." Loved that, I LOL and not @ U, but, with U. Yes, the beer compasion....

((Justbored)) Wonderful post, thanks for sharing, love the honestly.
Stay strong.

Last edited by tallcactus; 08-21-2009 at 08:01 AM. Reason: WRONG PESON
Old 08-21-2009, 08:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good luck to you JustBored. I have no advice as I'm only five days sober, but I can say that you've come to the right place. I've never felt more love and support from complete strangers!

Keep reading and posting. There are hundreds of folks just like us who are willing to back you up in your fight to remain sober.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justbored View Post
Well I made it though last night. I went and got my jumprope and did that a while then I just went to sleep, but it worked.
Quitting drinking and smoking at the same time is quite a bi**h!!!
That's fantastic!! I find that (I am myself on Day 3) when I drink I smoke, so it's been a nice "side effect" that I haven't craved cigs the last two nights. I am already wanting to drink tonight -- Friday, woo hoo, but plan to hit the gym at 5pm. Already lined up a sitter for the kids for 2 hours. Will not bring $ so can't go to the liquor store on my way home. I will probably be on this site biting my nails for hours later!! Best of luck to you. We are each other's strength!!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Love my puppies

I realized tonight I have a problem with binge drinking and have had for a few years. It was a struggle for me not to run out and buy liquor tonight. I need advice.
Welcome justbored...you just made the first step in your recovery...realizing that you have a problem and acknowledging it. We live in a world where booze is around every corner, so we need to stay away from those corners the best we can. Find a person that understands your problem and can stand by your side...this is so very hard to do by yourself...you need someone to be accountable to. Keep coming here and posting...most importantly reading...I think you'll find lots of people here with the same problems, so just know you're not the only one.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tigers13 View Post
Welcome justbored...you just made the first step in your recovery...realizing that you have a problem and acknowledging it. We live in a world where booze is around every corner, so we need to stay away from those corners the best we can. Find a person that understands your problem and can stand by your side...this is so very hard to do by yourself...you need someone to be accountable to. Keep coming here and posting...most importantly reading...I think you'll find lots of people here with the same problems, so just know you're not the only one.
The problem is i'm all alone, no family support, no friend support and the people that do know me have no clue whats going on. I think that's one of my big problems, I try to fill the lonely with something. I just need to find a more positive way.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Love my puppies

The problem is i'm all alone, no family support, no friend support and the people that do know me have no clue whats going on. I think that's one of my big problems, I try to fill the lonely with something. I just need to find a more positive way.
Have you tried going to any AA meetings hun? It's a good way to make new, clean friends that have gone thru the same things as you. You could then realize just how not alone you really are.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tigers13 View Post
Have you tried going to any AA meetings hun? It's a good way to make new, clean friends that have gone thru the same things as you. You could then realize just how not alone you really are.
I am painfully shy and it sends chills up my back just thinking about walking into a room full of people I don't know.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Love my puppies

I am painfully shy and it sends chills up my back just thinking about walking into a room full of people I don't know.
I have the same problem. The great thing about AA is that once you are there, you'd be amazed how many people will come up to welcome you, and just plain ol accept you just as you are. This is a decision you have to make yourself...you either want to get clean and be willing to do anything to get there, or you don't.