Notices

new to forum

Old 08-20-2009, 01:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to forum

Hi I just found the forum and registered. I've been clean and sober for about 5 months. I'm in a small AA group and am in a program with a drug and alchohol counselor. I have some damaged relationships to work on. thanks
Old 08-20-2009, 01:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi jetlag,

Welcome to the forum and welcome to AA.

I'm an extremely happy customer of AA, and I hope you will be too; just keep an open, willing, and honest mind; do the work suggested and I would bet money on it that you'll be fine.

Where in the world are you from?
Old 08-20-2009, 02:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Jetlag,

5 months is great!

It's really important that we stick together and support each other so Im really pleased you are here.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Crikey, Jetlag, I didn't read your original post properly; you've been sober longer than me by a few weeks!

Anyway, many of us have damaged relationships; are you working the programme of AA?

I've got relationships so damaged (with my children, ex wife, and Mother) so bad I doubt they'll be repaired in the near foreseable future. You're definately not alone here.

I've also got a lot of financial stuff that I'm working on, but having problems with.

But the programme is straightening me out mentally (and physically) to be able to cope and deal with this stuff; a bit at a time; and it's really working.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR jetlag, AA saved my life and gave me a new way of living life, a way that has resulted in my obsession to drink to be lifted, I like the new solution I have to living life so much that the old solution I had..... booze does not even enter my mind as even a possible solution to anything....... unless of course I am looking to walk back through the gates of hell again!

I/we look forward to you sharing your recovery here, if you have a sponsor and are taking the steps to heart with him things will continue to get better. Damaged relationships seem to be a part of the vast majority of alcoholics stories. I have found that the best amends I could give my family and friends has been staying sober and applying all of the principles I have gained from AA everyday in all areas of my life.

Will every relationship you have damaged be repaired? Maybe, maybe not, listen to your sponsors suggestions, understand that no matter what, clean your side of the street and keep it clean, most of your relationships will improve, some will actually be better then they have ever been, some may never get better, but if you are doing your part that is all you can do, your part.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

way to go jetlag

thanks for sharing your inspiring message and keep up the good work.

it sounds like your on the right path. it will continue to unfold as you go along.

awesome
Old 08-20-2009, 04:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

welcome jetlag. I am also in AA and it has been so rewarding. Hope you enjoy this site.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Greetings jetlag. Damaged relationships are what kept me from moving forward and getting well. It was impossible for me to explain my behavior to others - or even to myself. No one got it & most still don't. Taz is right, we can only do our part and work on ourselves.

Congratulations on your sober time - that is great - be proud. Looking forward to hearing more about you.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR jetlag

I agree with Hevyn and Taz on the relationship front - we can't tell other people what to think or 'make' them understand - all we can do is work on ourselves - hopefully our actions will show better than words ever could that we're serious, we're committed and we're worthy of a second chance.

I'm glad to say it's been that way for me with the most important relationships, so don't give up hope - but don't run ahead - just stay focused on yr sobriety for now, and let tomorrow take care of itself

Look forward to seeing you around - keep posting!
D
Old 08-20-2009, 05:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Come here to get knowledge and share your ES&H with others.

Keep coming back.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Hello and welcome to our Sober Recovery community.
Thank you for joining & i hope to hear about your progress.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! We're so glad you found us! Congratulations on your sobriety -- that's AWESOME!
Old 08-20-2009, 07:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Jetlag welcome aboard you've come to the right place. Congratulations on your 5 months!