Notices

today

Old 08-17-2009, 04:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

today

I am going to be strong. I am not going to buy wine on my way home from work, i will come on this forum instead to help me through, dont pat me on the back, i have said this before, i am sitting her with a nasty head from last night, and serves me right. My tastebuds are non existent how disgusting, i am destroying my health, why?.
I have been so "clever" with my drinking habits, i drink every evening , and think i have it under control, because i drink between 7 and 12, Wrong!
This is my "plan" for this evening;
The worse time is driving home looking forward to my treat, and craving it, must focus on another treat, and tell myself it will taste nicer and be more healthy, i start thinking about a drink , and looking forward to it as i am driving, i must break the pattern..
I am looking forward to herbal tea, and tomato juice tonight, how scrummy, i must hang in there with those thoughts, i will log in here for support.
The crazy thing is i have to go "without" rather than limit myself to say, half a bottle, does this make sense?
Old 08-17-2009, 04:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Welcome to SR Whitehorse,

Good Luck today, it can be done if you take it one day at a time without drinking. Have you ever done AA Meetings, I go to them and it is what has helped me not pick up a drink.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Believe808 View Post
Welcome to SR Whitehorse,

Good Luck today, it can be done if you take it one day at a time without drinking. Have you ever done AA Meetings, I go to them and it is what has helped me not pick up a drink.
No i havent had any support, never been on any drink forums before, this is the first one.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Well this is a good place to start. Keep posting and others will come along shortly. Again, good luck, YOU CAN DO IT. There is a new thread August Sobriety where I think they are new to SR and not drinking a day at a time, why not join them.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It does get easier Whitehorses. Read around a little and find out what other people do.

And yeah - in my opinion you do have to abstain completely - even a little bit of alcohol kept me in the cycle, because I could never stop at a little bit, or never for long anyway.

Keep posting
D
Old 08-17-2009, 07:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

The crazy thing is i have to go "without" rather than limit myself to say, half a bottle, does this make sense?
That used to make perfect sense to me, today I know that the first drink is the very drink that gets me drunk! If I do not have that first drink I never get drunk!

The worse time is driving home looking forward to my treat, and craving it, must focus on another treat, and tell myself it will taste nicer and be more healthy, i start thinking about a drink , and looking forward to it as i am driving, i must break the pattern..
Well in detox they taught me that it takes 90 days to break an old habit and 90 days to develop a new one. They told me if I wanted a chance at staying sober to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor.

I will not lie, at first those AA meetings seemed like a real pain, but then I got to looking forward to them, meeting up with sober friends seeking the same thing I was seeking, serenity and peace in my life alcohol free.

That first meeting was scary as hell because I had no idea what to expect. What I found were rooms full of alcoholics who were happily staying sober, they laughed, they talked, they had a smile on thier faces and a twinkle in thier eye. What amazed me was they had all been like me, they shared with me how they had stayed sober and how they learned to live life on lifes terms. They gave me hope that no matter how miserable I was right then that a drink was not going to make it better, but that staying sober would make it better.

In a nut shell here was rooms full of sober happy alcoholics who had what I wanted, and they told me if I wanted to stay sober to do what they did and they supported me and shared with me what they had done.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Welcome (again) Whitehorses.

I love the word "scrummy." New favorite word.

Yeah, it makes perfect sense 'limiting' yourself to a 1/2 bottle might just be not possible... had to stop when there's a 1/2 bottle sitting right there.

I recommend the tea and tomato juice idea.
(Together? ?)
Old 08-17-2009, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are here with us
and working on how to enjoy a new life.

All my best