Why some drinkers may stay on this forum

Old 08-16-2009, 05:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

compulsive debting is an illness?? LOL
Old 08-16-2009, 06:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by Bailey61 View Post
are you t hinking people who are still drinking shouldnt be here? i'm tying hard not to drink. im having a hard time quitting but reading all the posts have given me a thought that maybe i can do it.
You CAN do it.

Focus on the 99% of posts here encouraging you.

Ignore the 1% of posts that do not.

keep coming back.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I have a few bad habits.. most of which wont even have a 'recovery' site for them, course I'm sure I'm wrong. There might be a "I let my laundry pile up for a really long time" recovery board, or a "I flip people off when I drive" board... but I don't think those things are problems in my life so I'd never seek out an environment that encouraged and supported recovering from such "habits".

but hey.. Enjoy!

I also think there is a difference between people that are here because they want sobriety/recovery and may not be there yet, and people who are current drinkers, with NO problems with alcohol, and are in some way entertained by drunks, or have a weird voyeuristic side to them about people with very hellish and emotional problems.. they probably play around on all kinds of recovery boards for fun. Not sure what the latter finds so interesting here, but everyone's welcome.. it's a public site
Old 08-16-2009, 09:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bailey61 View Post
are you t hinking people who are still drinking shouldnt be here? i'm tying hard not to drink. im having a hard time quitting but reading all the posts have given me a thought that maybe i can do it.
There you go thats exactly why i think the newcomers forum is here.

i will not FORGET how hard it was to physically stop drinking.

as long as there is respect i dont see a problem with people that are still drinking coming here.

it may sow a seed ...
Old 08-16-2009, 09:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BenMacdui View Post
This makes me wonder a bit about the other addictions treated with 12-step methods such as gambling, sex addiction, compulsive debting and overeating. What is so special about alcoholism that it is defined as an "illness" (i.e. a purely physiological problem), and yet these are defined as learned behaviours and habits done to mask more subtle problems in someone's life - and yet they get treated in the same way?
I do not know of any alcoholism treatment that considers it a "purely physiological problem". They are consider psychology too and many consider the spiritual side as well.

Please educate me on which treatment regimens consider alcoholism a "purely physiological problem".
Old 08-16-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bugsworth View Post
compulsive debting is an illness?? LOL
LOL bugs, that sounds like me too. Dang it, have to stop that.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been here almost a year and a half, most of that time sober, some of it not. I come here for the support and strength I know I'll find from my family here. It helps me get my head straight when I'm not doing well. And reading of others' struggles helps me by helping them.

Whether my drinking was a 'habit' or an 'addiction' isn't the issue, to me. It's what I do about it. What I do to stay sober. And, as someone else said, this forum is as much for those who are struggling as it is for those who are successfully staying sober.

Thanks for being here SR! I really appreciate your help.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

some consider it a disease.

The AMA does.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
mergirl

my (ex)husband has a Habit he can't seem to break. It doesn't bother him, but it bothered him that it bothered me. I just couldn't get used to how disgusting he was when he drank.