Notices

37 Days Sober...Personal Milestone

Old 08-14-2009, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

37 Days Sober...Personal Milestone

I have written this thread as today I am 37 days sober. This is the longest amount of sober time I have ever managed previously and would just like to express where I'm at currently.

Previously by this point I was full of resentment towards others who I saw drinking and I was full of frustration that I was denying myself my right to consume alcohol and everything that brings with it. I felt like it was a part of my identity, a chance for me to unleash my Rock N' Roll ego and to generally feel the 'release' and 'buzz' that drinking would give me.

I have been heavily binge-drinking weekly from age 16 and I felt like I was losing a sense of my English identity in general if I weren't partaking in something which, by all accounts, I was very good at and basically Loved doing.

So inevitably I would go out drinking again and I would write a note to myself beforehand saying "don't listen to yourself when you are saying you have to give this up" which I would find myself thinking after each binge, as each binge would be getting worse and worse and longer and longer. I tried to not drink the following morning upon waking but found this impossible; A habit which cannot be broken.

So on 8th July after 5 days of solid blackout drinking/drug binges within 7 days; I got the train home from London after a 3 day solid binge with old 'associates' and was mentally/emotional/physically beaten. I knew that I needed to stop doing this to myself and I was deeply unhappy. The thought of how good I felt during those previous 37 days sober kept me from buying that can of super-strength lager to pick my shot mind up. I went straight back to AA and posted about my experiences on SR.

Today I know I will not drink and do not feel the resentment and frustration I once felt regarding this. I know that drinking cannot be an option for me anymore, Period. I know I am an alcoholic and that I am powerless over alcohol after I take that first drink.

I feel mentally fantastic at the moment and do not worry about things like I used to (what will be, will be). It feels great to be free from the shackles of knowing that I will be drinking and bad things will be happening. It feels great to know that I do not have to feel like my life is sliding out of my grasp and I have no way of stopping it. It feels great to be sober.

Sure I have moments where I think that it would be nice to head into town on a Friday night and mix with sexy-women who are smoking hot and 'tipsy'. But I know that for me 'tipsy' never has and never will exist, for me total and utter Oblivion is the only thing that will ever cut it, and for that reason, drinking must never be an option for me.

Today I will not drink and despite fleeting moments of mourning/grieving for my old friend, I know he is a friend better left behind.

Thanks for letting me share. Peace and Love. Xxx
Old 08-14-2009, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Way to go, isn't it empowering and freeing? We become such unwitting slaves to the bottle. We're like little ship people constructed in the bottle and we can't get out. I hit bottom 127 daze ago and haven't looked back since going sober.

The beauty of life is, while we cannot undo what is done, we can see it, understand it, learn from it and change so that every new moment is spent not in regret, guilt, fear or anger but in wisdom, understanding and love.-- Jennifer Edwards

PS, this marks my longest sdobriety point in my 45 year drinking career.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

NEO, congrats on 37 days!

I'm currently on Day #54, still taking it one day at a time.

I hope you're thinking about/working on the issues that made you want to drink in the first place. It's a tough task, but it's the way I've been able to stay sober for this long. The "old me" would've found a million excuses to go back to drinking by now.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
But I know that for me 'tipsy' never has and never will exist, for me total and utter Oblivion is the only thing that will ever cut it, and for that reason, drinking must never be an option for me.

Today I will not drink and despite fleeting moments of mourning/grieving for my old friend, I know he is a friend better left behind.
Very emotional and eloquent post, Neomarxist. Congratulations on the 37 days. Keep going forward, I can see in your writing you were not happy where you were.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Inspiring stuff, NEO.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
Sure I have moments where I think that it would be nice to head into town on a Friday night and mix with sexy-women who are smoking hot and 'tipsy'.
You tart! Lol..kidding;-)

Great post and you should feel really proud of yourself, keep hitting those meetings and getting your new life together, well done:-)
Old 08-14-2009, 12:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats! I'm proud of you!
Old 08-14-2009, 01:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Neo.... Congrats.. I'm on day 17 myself. Longest I've gone before is about a month. I can totally relate to where you are coming from.... It's like ending a relationship with a girl that you know is bad for you, but certain specific errrr.... proclivities keep you around against your better judgment. I think I am personally in some sort of period of mourning for booze. Be strong my brother.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Love my puppies

Way to go Neo!!! Keep up the awesome work! You CAN do this!
Old 08-14-2009, 04:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Forward is the best direction!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi and congrats on your sober time...

Your message is powerful...
Old 08-14-2009, 09:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Strong work!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations =) Keep up the good work
Old 08-14-2009, 10:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Neo

D
Old 08-15-2009, 05:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well done Neo, it cant be easy comming from a culture of binge drinking and staying away from it. BE VIGILANT over the next while. I am almost 10 weeks sober and at week 6 I hit a rough week. Last week was ropey enough as well. Half a lifetime of binge drinking is gonna leave its mark and u are sure to feel it. However, it is infinitely worth staying sober, and will benefit u unimaginably in the future! E
Old 08-15-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

thanks, i needed this post, i am almost 3 weeks sover and last night was very very tough. i made it through and am proud of myself.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Right on NEO!!! Congrats on the 37 days.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Neo, you are doing really well mate. Keep up the good work
Old 08-15-2009, 12:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for all your comments. The kind and supportive words are very much appreciated.

I can't express how great I have found the forums of SR as a learning resource and as a channel to be able to express my feelings and emotions as I try and come to terms with a life free of drinking and drugs.

I view SR as a crucial tool in my sobriety box and without it I don't think I would be where I am at present.

Thankyou all. xxx