Notices

Alcoholic Superman

Old 08-14-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic Superman

Just wanted to share this with you guys. BTW, hi all..I'm new.

I've always considered myself a decent looking guy. I'm over 6 feet tall, dark hair, and have always gotten comments on the fact that I look like Clark Kent, Superman, Christopher Reeve etc. Then, I started drinking heavily about a year or more ago. After about 8 months of drinking almost every day, the comments lingered off and stopped. I didn't realize what was going on or that alcohol could damage your looks. So one day a friend of mine told me that I didn't look well...like I was ill or sick. I took a long hard look into the mirror and my heart sank. Superman, Clark...was gone. My face was bloated, I had dark circles and bags under my eyes. It looked like I had aged about 5-10 years. The funny thing is that I still didn't "get it". I was coming up with excuses to keep drinking. Oh I need to eat less, reduce my salt intake, or whatever. It was only last week, after googling about how to cure a bloated face, that I came up on this site. I saw post after post of how alcohol bloats your face, dehydrates you, and dries out your skin. Yes, the light bulb went on.

So, what am I doing about it? Well, I did read that if you stop drinking, eventually the bloat will go away and you'll look like you used to. I am praying that is true. All I drink now is water and cranberry juice. I also eat a lot healthier. Lots of raw spinach (on turkey sandwiches), carrots, apples...I'm still in the process of aligning my diet but I think I've made a good start. I also exercise 2-3 times a week. I haven't seen any positive results yet in my face but I hope to over the next two weeks. My last drinking episode was this past Saturday. WAY too much vodka... I woke up Sunday and my face looked horrible. So, yes, I get the message. Loud and clear. I can either look like crap, or stop drinking and eventually turn back into Clark Kent. I choose the latter, life was much more fun then.

Any comments or advice is welcome. My main concern is my bloated face and that I HOPE it goes away soon...

Thanks and nice to meet everyone.

Noel
Old 08-14-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Noel, that bloating you speak of took time to develop, but it will if you stay sober go away with time. Mine took about a month to really go away. Keep postin if you find difficulty in staying sober.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Glad you've joined us Noel, I think most of us believed at one time that we were bulletproof and able to leap tall buildings The great reality comes with sobriety, it sounds like you've got a good start and I hope you'll put together a solid plan for your recovery.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! :)

I'm not looking so hot these days either. I'm a newbie so I cannot tell you how long it will take, but I wanted to say HELLO and WELCOME just the same :) Please feel free to join us in the "August sobriety" support thread. There are TONS of very supportive, upbeat and fun-loving people you can take this journey with that are just starting out (in addition to the MANY wonderful members you will find here among the general forums). I hope to see you around!
Old 08-14-2009, 10:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How do you look on the inside?

Mark
Old 08-14-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hey man, Yer drinking heavily can take a toll on the old looks through both the chemical effects ie -dehydration, bags under eyes, rosacea etcetc but also the consequences of drunken behaviour ie - getting into fights and getting punched in the face, falling over and hitting face etcetc.

Don't expect immediate results, it takes time, just like it took time for the negative effects to build but be safe in the knowledge that you won't make the bloating etc worse if you ain't drinking.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

* Anyone else Unable to Post a new Thread. Really annoying as I have been trying to post a new thread for about 6 hours now. Just is not allowing me to. GGGrrrghhh. *
Old 08-14-2009, 10:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
NEO, try using one word as a title, then go back and edit the title if the new thread posts. It's a glitch in the system, I know the admins are working on it.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thankyou Astro, Much appreciated. xxx
Old 08-14-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR. Yes, the bloat goes away. Stay sober long enough and your face thanks you.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I hope you feel better inside and out.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi NoelC

Alcohol was my kryptonite too.
You've come to the right place for support.

Welcome!
D
Old 08-14-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome and I am so glad that you have decided a healthier way of life.
Question...is the bloated face your only consequence? The only problem you have from drinking? Let us know how we can help.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Heathen

after about 2 or 3 months of living really healthy.. of course no drinking, lots of exercise, healthy food.. I started getting comments not on how 'good looking' people thought I was.. but how HEALTHY I looked. No one ever said I didn't.. but damn that was an eye opener.. mostly from people who had no idea 1. how much I drank, or 2. that I had quit. All they knew is that I looked like an entirely new and healthy person.. I musta looked like ****!
Old 08-14-2009, 03:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the Sober Recovery community.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...

I have an uncle whom never drank or smoked, and is 85 and doing well physically and mentally. He looks like a well kept seventy year old man...

My father however died at seventy from alcoholism and looked like he was in his nineties. He suffered greatly in his last years due to alcoholism...

Simply put alcohol is poison to our bodies, that is those of us that can't metabolize it in a normal way...

Keep posting, I am glad you found us...
Old 08-15-2009, 03:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great Ceasar's Ghost

hi noel, and welcome to the family...

for me, when i surrendered to alcohol,

i was about 35-40 lbs. of Bloat!

now add in some great color,

i sickening shade of pukey greenish brown and yellow!

after the compulsion to drink was lifted,

and i could keep the booze out of my body for good...

combined with physical activities, lots of good old H2O, eating properly,

a good recovery program, and some awesome spirituality...

i now do not look like the Crypt Keeper anymore...

and a very odd thing, my grey hairs started to turn back to brown!

good wishes noel

zip

ps noel,

get the hell out of that Phone Booth,

and enjoy life living sober...
Old 08-15-2009, 06:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

the face bloat had been bothering me for years, i'd see myself in pictures and say "damn i am fat." i'd workout like a madman, at least when the hangovers weren't fierce, and lost some weight around the belly but never the face.

i am at 3 weeks now and can noticed some changes in my face just this morning, it is definitly thinning out.
two of my friends who have been sober for years, i knew them when they drank, look totally different now than when they drank. they both look awesome and like healthy people.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes.. being healthy is more attractive looking than the
destruction alcohol does to people.
You will also gain much with a sober thinking brain
Glad you are chooseing to enjoy a better future.

Welcome to our recovery community...
Old 08-15-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

Originally Posted by Rusty Zipper View Post

and a very odd thing, my grey hairs started to turn back to brown!
WHAT!.. I went grey @23 and its only gotten worse since I quit drinking.

Stay away from the Kryptonite krap, Noel. And try adding fresh lemon to the cranberry juice with a splash of sparkling water. Its something I lived on in early sobriety when I felt that I 'needed' a drink.