Notices

Alcoholic Superman

Old 08-15-2009, 11:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Noel,
I've had the same thing. After years of drinking I look like a completely different person, and not in a good way.

I quit drinking about 2 and a half weeks ago (had one day where I failed and had drinks) bu I've already lost 12 lbs. The other day at work I walked into a co-workers office (who has no idea how much I was dinking or that I recently quit) and she commented that I was looking like I'd lost weight. So while I can't notice any change yet by looking in the mirror, the scale and this lady's comment lead me to believe my weight issues are changing for the better in a fairly short time of not poisoning myself.

Welcome to SR and go luck!
Old 08-15-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Amazing how the face reflects more than we realize it does. When I was younger I worked a lot with older people in a social hosting situation and I noticed how some older people looked changed and hardened (I was reminded of a volleyball), while others looked like slightly wrinkled versions of younger selves. Then I started to notice who was drinking what and eventually started to put it all together ... Now, I can see those facial changes in people my age (agh!). We may think we are hiding our drinking, but it shows. Good luck, Clark ... er, Noel.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

About a month or so after quitting drinking, I looked better than I had in years. I worked out while I was drinking, but when I quit, my body truly started reaping the benefits of a healthy diet and no alcohol. Like smacked pointed out, you just look healthy, and that's attractive.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yep, my bloated face has pretty much gone, the rest is going to be exercise & eating right.

While face bloat may be a good motivator can I ask if there were any other negative consequences that drinking had on your life?

The more consequences you have the easier it is to read back & not pick up. If looking like superman is enough then good on ya.

Take Care,

NB
Old 08-17-2009, 06:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Getting Better

Thanks for the replies/advice. I'm going on week 2 and I noticed a difference this past weekend. My face color has evened out. I still have some bloat but it's getting better. I'm guzzling water like it's going out of style and throwing the cranberry in there from time to time. It's working great. And if a few of my gray hairs turn back brown, that would be a nice bonus. But I'm feeling better now than I have in years. I'm eating my turkey/spinach sandwiches and getting more sleep.

As for underlying problems, I'm recently separated and will be divorced soon. I think the drinking was part of my new found freedom. Maybe it was me making a statement of "hey I can do what I want". I was for the split so it's not anything to do with coping with a loss...but more saying I can do what I want now. At any rate, it was a bad choice. I should have chosen a different hobby!

I think my big motivator could be my looks. Not sure if that's good or bad but I definitely don't want to short-change myself. I think I have another several years of the Clark thing before I succumb to settling for Clark's dad lol. You guys are great and thanks again!
Old 08-17-2009, 06:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelC View Post

I think my big motivator could be my looks.
Many people have many different motivators... You should have a look at what's underneath... You didn't start drinking so you could lose your good looks.... ya know?

Mark
Old 08-17-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on the 2 weeks, you will be amazed at how much healthier you will look with more and more time sober.

I notice huge differences with newcomers quickly in AA. I am not saying that using AA to stay sober will improve ones looks any better then simply staying sober, it is just going to AA meetings I tend to see far more people physically getting better due to sobriety then folks who do not use face to face support groups.

my grey hairs started to turn back to brown!
LOL I started REALLY going grey/white in my late 20s, I got sober at 52, I have so few brown hairs left I doubt if I would have noticed that!!! LOL
Old 08-17-2009, 07:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Noel, welcome to SR. It is amazing what alcohol can do to our bodies both inside and out. I had pretty much gotten through life on my looks w/o even trying --at 40 people thought I was still in my 20s then in my 40s alcohol took over and I aged rapidly and not well ; at 50 I stopped drinking and eventually started eating healthy and exercising, after about 6 months I started to notice that my eyes were getting bright again and gradually the rest followed now once again I look and feel much younger than my years.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Just checking in. Everything is going good. I actually took a few photos of my face 2 weeks ago and again today. I can't believe the difference. 2 weeks ago I looked like a bloated corpse, but today I'm about 80% my old self.

Can we post pictures on here? I'll gladly do it if it will help someone else.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:57 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

noel, i think you can...

just check with a Mod first...

happy to hear you aint a bloated corpse these days! lol
Old 08-20-2009, 06:14 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good to know you're making progress
Old 08-20-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Yes, Noel, send pic, would love to see Clark Kent again..

Stay strong, Noel.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:37 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hey Noel,

I realize it's been a while since your last post but was wondering if you got your Clarke Kent looks back after quitting? I'm 8 days into my recovery phase and use some motivation.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

A week after I detoxed, my stepdad said I literally looked ten years younger. I lost 35 lbs, too, without trying. Back to 115 and feeling good. You can get there!
Old 05-18-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Originally Posted by RainyDay107 View Post
A week after I detoxed, my stepdad said I literally looked ten years younger. I lost 35 lbs, too, without trying. Back to 115 and feeling good. You can get there!
You lost 35 pounds in a week?
Old 05-18-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm 39 and look like a hot mess. when I DO dress up I get told wow we don't remember the last time you looked good. guess it proves a point
Old 05-18-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi NoelC

Alcohol was my kryptonite too.
You've come to the right place for support.

Welcome!
D
I was thinking the same thing, Dee!

Booze gets you physically and then goes after your soul!! It's the devil!!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Originally Posted by Dave42001 View Post

I was thinking the same thing, Dee!

Booze gets you physically and then goes after your soul!! It's the devil!!
Sure does, a year and a half into recovery and every month that goes by I feel a little bit better.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Alcohol really messes up your insides too!

But that is not readily apparent until a Doctor visit later in life.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Drinking definitely makes you bloat. I found that the day after I drank, I looked pale and thin, and then the day after that I was the opposite-bloated.
Alcohol dehydrates you, and then the body reacts by retaining water.

What i'm doing is drinking ice cold water with chopped up lemon and strawberries in it. You can use any fruit/vegetable you want. But it seems to cool my stomach and i feel refreshed and helps with cravings. I sip on it all day.
It should help with the bloat.