Notices

It's taking all my willpower to stay sober today

Old 08-14-2009, 01:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Still sober and still hanging on. After waking up from a nice nap it's too hot and humid to walk the dogs so I'm about to wash up the rest of the dishes. I'll walkthe dogs after sundown. Thank you all for your support. It's so good to be able to come here for support instead of just caving in and drinking.

:ghug3
Old 08-14-2009, 01:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Least

I had a run of this last Xmas, sleeping in the afternoon and then looking forward to the time when i would be able to sleep at night, mine was as long as it's past 9pm it's ok to go to bed for the night. It was almost like seeing how long i could hold my breath, i could tell you how many days i had been sober to the hour...it was hell to be honest!

Having said that, this time round it's different as i an getting face to face support through counselling (yeah i did have that at xmas too) but primarily through AA and getting a bunch of new sober friends. I don't want to harp on about AA to you, i'm just saying that i hope you are able to find a face to face support network, it really does make all the difference.

I met a guy who, although we come from very different backgrounds, is roughly my age and 7 years sober (as in happy, peaceful and content to live in his skin and the day)...so after a discussion over coffee about similarities to do with depression/anxiety/addiciton/whatever i wanted to know how to get what he had...in fact we now have the same sponsor who asked me after a couple of meetings, and after i had asked him to be my sponsor to go away and think about whether i really wanted to stop drinking...i replied yeah that's great forget all that **** just tell me what to do and i'll do it, i want what he's got lol So i started the steps and have just finished step 5 moving onto 6 and 7, then the dreaded 8/9;-) Actually i have one amend i can make now, it's an easy one by letter to an old family doctor, i've got to draft the letter and show my sponsor the format...he told me to do that 5 days ago...better get on with it!

If you could meet someone who you could relate to in some sort of meeting/group, that seemed to be having a happier life than you, with the family etc...then you may feel that you want to know how they got what you are striving for and maybe it will be as simple as just doing what they have done. Whatever you do i hope you feel better:-)

Sorry if you are doing all of this already, but hey thought i would post this anyway just in case.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Hi Least. Just popping in to wish you the best. Hope you're doing well.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Susan,

I'm glad you're feeling better.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do this S

D
Old 08-14-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
let it grow!

support to ya, least. do your best today, sweetie - you deserve it.

hugs, k
Old 08-14-2009, 02:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Walked the dogs anyway, tho it was hot they liked their walk. Then treated myself to an m&m frosty from Wendy's. Now I'm full and don't feel like drinking.:ghug3
Old 08-14-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

YEAH! An M&M frosty sounds sooooo good! Keep going, S! You can do it! Love, jomey
Old 08-14-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno what the heck an m&m frosty is, but it sounds good LOL.

D
Old 08-14-2009, 03:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

your doing really well but let me tell you anxiety and depression is the major number 1 side effect of coming off alcohol,,..it does get better believe me ,,,go and see your doctor there are safe medication out there to ease your anxiety and depression while you go through the difficult phase of coming off drink ,,,hang in there it gets better ,,,
Old 08-14-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Just saw this now, S. Been saying prayers for you today. Be proud that you're successfully fighting the beast off once again.

(I don't know what an M&M frosty is either, but I want one too.)
Old 08-14-2009, 04:43 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

An M&M frosty is a vanilla milkshake with crushed M&Ms in it. You can get it at any Wendy's burger restaurant. It's really good, have to eat it with a spoon. yummy.

feel better after the dog walk. came home tired but more relaxed. Just gave them a biscuit (their favorite) and soon their supper (another favorite). Taking care of them is good for me.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:06 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm prayin for you, girl. You've done good today. I hope you sleep well.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:50 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi Least,

I am sending love and strength your way...
Old 08-15-2009, 08:36 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Not wanting to drink today, tho my anxiety seems worse. I'll get thru this sober, one minute at a time. I'm glad to have SR to come to when I feel unsure and having cravings. It really helps!
Old 08-15-2009, 08:40 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Least, you're doing great! You can do it! Wishing you many bright spots in your day ...
Old 08-15-2009, 09:14 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm pulling for you least. I'm proud of you for not picking up. When you said you felt better after eating at Wendy's i thought of HALT - "Hungry, angry, lonely, tired. Those are the 4 to look out for.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

willpower wont save my ass from a drink
Old 08-15-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hey Least,
I feel your pain my friend, anxiety is a miserable ruthless SOB. I will tell you I gave in to drinking once since I started this and I felt way worse anxiety the next day. From what everyone here says, it evidently *does* get better. Hang in there you're doing great!
Old 08-17-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
am having terrible anxiety and keep telling myself that drinking will only make it worse. So I'm doing what I should do to stay sober: I'm posting instead of picking up a drink.
Action and more action, least. Your faith is helpful, but faith without works is dead. So do the action required. You're absolutely right. Doing anything besides drinking is good for the short term. Willpower may get me through a tough moment of crisis. But, ultimately, willpower is insufficient to keep me sober. The last time I relied on willpower to keep me sober I got drunk. Thankfully, I haven't relied on willpower for a long time.

It's the action, least. I've got all of my fear and anxiety and guilt in between me and my higher power. It's like a bunch of static that overwhelms the whisper. The only way I can clear that static is by taking action. So, dedicate yourself to the action every day. Who have you called today? Waht meeting did you go to? What have you read in the book? What did you do for whatever step you are on? These are the things that matter.

And, if it helps at all, I sufferred some terrible anxiety my first few months sober while I was working the steps. I was finishing up a divorce, facing some serious jail time, losing my job, deep in debt, etc. That 3rd step prayer got me through many days, but it was always in conjunction with progress on the steps. Progress. A little something each day to move forward. Much better than just hanging on and getting through the day.