Notices

First Meeting

Old 08-13-2009, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Meeting

I found this website on Wed and made my first meeting tonight. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. It was very hard to go honestly. I had wanted the first meeting to be a woman's meeting - I thought I would feel more comfortable. But I realized I was just procrastinating & could always find an excuse. So my husband was able to stay home with the kids and I made my way to the closest one.
It was an older crowd, little rough around the edges; and I didn't think this was where I would fit in. So the meeting starts - I take the seat closest to the door of course. And then people start talking. It was really, really where I needed to be right now and what I needed to be hearing. I don't see why I was so hesitant & I am glad I got over it.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2009, 07:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Right on killingmesmalls great job on making it out to a meeting. Did you talk with anyone or get any numbers? Might be good to get a blue book too.

Nice Work!

NB
Old 08-13-2009, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome... Thanx for the update!
Old 08-13-2009, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job taking that step!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I hope a lot of newcomers see your post.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When we dare leave our comfort zone sometimes we discover our true comfort. Good job, thanks for sharing.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's great stuff! Keep going back and getting help, don't be afraid to stick your hand up for help. Get those numbers, stay 5 minutes after to see who goes for coffee (some great 30 min meetings over coffee too;-)), look out for a sponsor (a lady, i presume you are) and get cracking on wortking the steps...easy:-)
Old 08-14-2009, 12:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think meetings are great and I don't know about you lot, but I go to three regular meetings and each one of them is different; but one of them I have to travel a distance to get to is a Big Book Study Meeting and it's the best of the lot. If you need to hear a message of hope and recovery, find a meeting that carries a strong message.

My other two meetings are great for the Fellowship (coffee and a chat), but I always try to pass on the message there, even if lots of the members think I'm a bit strange.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job on attending your first meeting! I don't think it's easy for anyone. I know I stood outside, staring at that door for about 15 minutes before I got the courage to go inside. I'm so happy to hear you had a good experience.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

That is awesome, keep going back, keep in mind that every meeting has a different personality, some of them just do not click for every one, just check out another meeting. BTW get some of the ladies phone numbers.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you are seeking support!
Old 08-14-2009, 08:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Like they say, keep coming back. Glad you were able to make a meeting.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Resident grateful guy!

GOOD for you!!! Now just remember 1 thing. There are 2 times you got to meetings. When you want to, and when you don't want to. Get yourself a sponsor as soon as possible. Even if it's just a temporary one until you find someone you're comfortable with. The longer you wait the harder it will be. Keep coming back!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I'm glad to hear you made it to a meeting and were able to have the kids taken care of, I know that was a concern from your first post.

I was worried about not fitting in with the crowd too. But our members range in age from 14-94, they come from all walks of life, races, and creeds. We all get along so well, it's amazing to have such a huge family in recovery.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So a lot of you are recommending finding a sponsor right away. I've read a few posts about people having trouble finding experienced sponsors or ones that fit. Does anyone have advice on what to look for in a sponsor - in their a minimum time they should have been in recovery themselves, what if they already sponsor others? Would it be unheard of to finding an online sponsor - like at this site?
Thanks & thank you again for all the encouragement. This site is so accessible - it is really making the first steps somewhat easier for me.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Personally I think it's important to have a face-to-face sponsor. It'd be really easy for me to hide away from and avoid an online sponsor. Here's the AA pamphlet on Sponsorship, please take the time to read it as I think it explains it best Alcoholics Anonymous : Pamphlets
Old 08-14-2009, 10:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Someone who "has what you want"... Happy, Joyous, Free.... A way of living and "being" that you like...

Start with a temporary, if you like her, then make it not temporary.

You need a face to face sponsor....

Mark
Old 08-14-2009, 12:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I guess you are right Astro. I think a lot of this disease is centered around hiding and escaping anyway - which are really the same thing essentially. When I would drink it was usually to hide away or try and forget the stresses in my everyday life, and during everyday life I was trying to hide away that I had a drinking problem and was an alcoholic. So the search begins - time to seek not hide.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations .....
I'm pleased you did overcome your apprehension
AA recovery has/is an awesome adventure for me!

Blessings to you and your family
Old 08-15-2009, 07:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by killingmesmalls View Post
So a lot of you are recommending finding a sponsor right away. I've read a few posts about people having trouble finding experienced sponsors or ones that fit. Does anyone have advice on what to look for in a sponsor - in their a minimum time they should have been in recovery themselves, what if they already sponsor others? Would it be unheard of to finding an online sponsor - like at this site?
Thanks & thank you again for all the encouragement. This site is so accessible - it is really making the first steps somewhat easier for me.
The usual line in finding a sponsor is to ask someone of the same sex, who has something you want.

And I can think of one person I know whose in and out of AA and rehabs; procrastinating about getting a sponsor because she wants to 'find the right one', and I suspect that'll kill her in the end.

I would suggest you find a 'temporary sponsor', (ask someone in those terms) but ENSURE they're a Big Book fanatic that carries a strong message of recovery. And the chances are you'll find this temporary sponsor becomes a lasting one.