Notices

Beer for breakfast...

Old 08-08-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Beer for breakfast...

Well, don't know how else to take the edge off......so here I sit.....7:30 am drinking a couple beers. Does anyone have any tips for an alternative? Anxiety is great these days, seems like I am worrying about everything.......
Old 08-08-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You know I quit drinking four months ago, and after the first four days....I haven't had a single withdrawl symptom since. It's nice to wake up in the morning feeling healthy and refreshed and enjoy some good Coffee instead of a trembling hand reaching for a bottle of Gin on my nightstand.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh VC. I'm so sorry to hear that you're doing that this morning. My suggestion is to stop drinking those beers and go for a long walk. While walking, think of what you can do today so that by tonight you feel good about what you did today. hugs
Old 08-08-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

anxiety is awfull isn't it? I've been to the point that of pacing around my house just scratching the crap out of my scalp b/c i'm so worked up. What has helped for me, was I looked up some online sites about anxiety and found some natual ways to help deal with it, such as meditation or focus breathing. I gafawed it at first, but once I got reading the site, and tried some of the breathing I felt it helped. Try googleing anxiety (when you are a bit calmer) and take the time to read and try out some stuff.
Hope you feel better!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This may not be the alternative you want but I know you have put some sober time together before. You need to Stop, ride out the anxiety and you know it gets better. Alcohol only makes anxiety worse (and I know you know that) You should consult your dr as well. Besides herbal teas and remedies he may prescribe something for the first few days to help you. I know many are against this but the prescription for a few days really helped me as I felt very anxious too. Pacing, standing, sitting and all around restless behaviour including heart rate and blood pressure. You know after several days it gets better and then it will be easier to deal with what is causing you to be so anxious and you will be dealing with it sober! Ok you can send me back a scathing post if you want but I know you can do this and this is JMO.

Take care of yourself first and then deal with the rest. Thinking of you.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Exercise and writing are great for writing, and a trip to the doctor would be a great idea if you haven't gone, they would probably be able to help you.
That's what has worked for me anyway.

Sorry you are having such a hard time. ******...}}}
Old 08-08-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

((ViciousCycle))

My heart goes out to you....For what it is worth, I during my binges would on many occasions have beer for breakfast and thur out the day and some binges lasted 2 days. This was years ago, over 5.
Can you at least eat something, toast, cereal, something easy and light, that doesn't take to much effort? How many R U going to have, for this so called breakfast?
How did you sleep? Did U sleep? How many hours?
Turn some tunes on, the radio, T.V; go sit in the tub. Call someone please or just stay here if need be. Do not take any medications if you have any for anxiety. Meds and alcohol do not mix. Talk to me, tell me about your anxiety?
Try anything to stop thinking or worrying. call 911 if need be.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Anxiety was my biggest alcohol-related problem. I suggest you see a doctor. Be honest to him/her about your drinking. I've been sober for 48 days now and I might not have made it through that first week without some anti-anxiety medication, which I was totally off of in about three weeks.

At first, I never thought I'd make it through the day without my precious beer. Now, I can't fathom taking another drink without going right back to where I was...depressed, anxious and paranoid.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh VC, so sorry you have chosen beer this morning. I know how badly you want to get better. I too have been where you are, except I was a couple shots of Vodka in the morning on weekends, just to "feel better." I now know just after one short week that all it takes is some self discipline and some abstinence. I have been drink free for one week today, and I can't describe how much better my anxiety is. I have tried everything to try to blame my anxiety on things.... all knowing it was the alcohol causing it. I got rid of that, and the anxiety is gone! I woke up this morning (again only one week later) and played with my daughter. Now I am going for a run before having lunch with my brother and then heading to the lake for the day. I haven't felt good enough to do this for years!!! I know you can do this, and you WANT this! Please do this for yourself! If this site is not enough, try something else. Keep us posted, and please be careful!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Also VC, go back to the August sobriety group and read your posts from the past few days. You were so determined and set in doing this. Try to find that inner strength you had just a few days ago!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Thanks all for your ideas.....wish I was heading off to a lake!! LOL....
I have a job to do that will take about an hour and then will pick up some food.......I have only had 2 beers......
Gosh I have done this before......this time this first step seems pretty big! This is a nightmare..........
Old 08-08-2009, 07:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey VC,
do what you need to do... to stay sober. You know I care about you funny girl, we've been in this together a long time.
These posts had some great suggestions.
Big Texas (((HUG)).
Old 08-08-2009, 07:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The more I drank, the more anxiety I had in between drunks. So, I'd have to drink more often. Then I'd have more anxiety. So I'd drink some more. It was insane.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Resident

Whatever you do keep posting girl.
You know you want this so just muster all of your inner strength and push on.
You can be such an asset to the August sobriety group if you just can get back to where you were a month ago.
You know I am pulling for you. :ghug3

Don't make me want to use this.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You could try vitamin B and exercise. What really helped me was deep breathing, the kind I learn't doing tai chi.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I used to do that too, but with Vodka. Usually I was chasing away the anxiety I was feeling caused by drinking the night before, or several nights in a row. Once I stopped drinking all together my anxiety subsided.

I have to second the recommendation about exercise, it's been a wonderful tool to use when I'm feeling a bit on edge.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My OP would have been Benzos for breakfast. No more thank goodness.

Have you tried Valerian root? I do like the way it calms me in a very subtle way. I also find a good hour hike in the woods with the dogs helps a great deal too.

Good luck!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What worked for me in early recovery was medication. It was the only thing that worked, Ativan. A small, .5 tablet, not every day, but as needed. I never was tempted to abuse it, as it didn't get me high, just took enough of the anxiety away for me to cope. I eventually stopped needing it as I began to rely on my higher power to deal with my troubles. I have to do the foot work, but I leave the worrying up to Him. It took time and step work to get to this place. Medication made it possible to hang in there until I was ready to turn stuff over to God.

Love,
KJ
Old 08-08-2009, 08:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

AA and the 12 step program have enabled me to manage my anxiety with drugs and/or alcohol.

It is amazing.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

While I was drinking, I had a lot of anxiety. I even thought I was self medicating the anxiety sometimes. But the thing is, once I got and stayed sober awhile most of the anxiety vanished. I still get anxious in certain situations, but for the most part I am now anxiety free. So I really do believe that the alcohol actually caused most of my anxiety. Of course, this probably isn't true for everyone and you should def see your doctor. But drinking really isn't the answer and will only make it worse in the long run.