Notices

Old 08-08-2009, 12:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hypercube

Hello,

I am 33 years old and can finally admit that I am an alcoholic. My mother is one (she will not admit it), my grandmother was one and my uncle is one, too. At 21 I began to recover from an opiate addiction, and at 23 I successfully withdrew from methadone. I did not attend NA and had little support at the time.

It's been a struggle to get to the point where I have to admit that I have no control over alcohol. Unlike morphine, I can't seem to stop it. I've never been all that fond of AA, I am not spiritual and don't necessarily agree with the AA philosophy, but I'm at a stage where I'm willing to give it a go. I don't drink daily, rather I binge drink on my days off work. I haven't had a night sober this weekend, tonight will be the start. I want to be sober and I'm also scared of being sober. Thanks for reading.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Faerie

Hi Box3

Welcome to your new happy place.

1] congrats on getting off the opiates, that's what I'm trying to do.

2] You will get so much love and support here, I know I have.

Looking forward to getting to know you,

Much love,

Faerie x
Old 08-08-2009, 12:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. There's lots of great support and info to be found here...stick around it can be quite helpful.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Hi there and welcome on board.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
hypercube

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I plan to stick around. I can't do this alone (again).

Faerie, if I can get off opiates, you can too. I have an addictive personality and have now chosen another substance (alcohol), so clearly I've still got a lot of basic work to do to examine and confront the reasons why sobriety is difficult for me.

I'm really looking forward to not being hungover tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome to SR box.
It is great that you are getting a start at a young age and were able to kick your other habit.
Like you I kicjed my hard drug habit in my twenties but the call of alcahol took a few decades longer.
AA has helped many people so give it an honest try and when you do commit to doing the 12 steps.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hello and welcome.i used to be the most unspiritual person you could meet! i have been sober 6 months and could not have done this without AA and the 12 step recovery programme.if you give AA and honest try like fubarcdn said you will get results.i wish you well and please keep us updated.sr is a wonderful tool in recovery and i have found it invaluable!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just remember you are not alone here. I thought i was alone when I tried many times to get sober, and thought no one would help me or understand. Once I came here, I realized that a lot of people have been though what I have, and no one understands any better than the people here. Things will be okay, you can do this!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Hello and welcome to the Sober Recovery community.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello Box 3. Welcome. Check out our thread called "August sobriety Group" and join us. We would love to have you, and we can all get better together this month!! Great support on there for the newcomers, as I am one also. Just a week today!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've never been all that fond of AA, I am not spiritual and don't necessarily agree with the AA philosophy, but I'm at a stage where I'm willing to give it a go. I don't drink daily, rather I binge drink on my days off work. I haven't had a night sober this weekend, tonight will be the start. I want to be sober and I'm also scared of being sober. Thanks for reading.
i can relate to not agreeing with things in AA. I still continue to go as well. I've went since 1992. i'm getting better able to accept other's christian god, and not take it as a slam on my own personal spiritual nature.

keep up the good work this weekend
Old 08-08-2009, 07:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey and welcome to SR, box.
You will find loads of help and support here- just read the Boards and keep posting!.
I (as well as most of us on SR)- know how hard it is to come of addictive substances... many of us have had the same experience(s)- that you are getting/feeling right now.. so stay a while.