Notices

30 Days Sober

Old 08-07-2009, 03:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

30 Days Sober

Feeling good about it.

My feelings and thoughts towards alcohol have changed alot this time. I don't see any positive things about it and no-longer can even view a bottle of whisky in the shop as being "fun". I know I'l just feel crap after drinking it and I am enjoying not having to feel like I was after heavy binges.

I feel I have successfully cracked getting out of the habit of using booze as a recreational "fun" activity ie- kicking back and getting hammered listening to my music all day and night. I have managed to break that particular "habit" and can kick-back and listen to my music without yearning for upping the experience by getting drunk.

I still am very vigilante that one drink would bring that habit right-back into play. I like not feeling like a total slave to having to get drunk to feel like I am maximising my downtime.

My next goal now is to start to try and build my social life back-up and to be able to go to bars as a none-drinker as I am a Guitarist and so need to look at getting back into a band and gigging, something which getting wasted has stripped me of. Acknowledging with total certainty and telling people (that need to know) I am an alcoholic really makes the none-drinking thing seem so much easier as I view drinking booze as not being an option and I actually feel proud telling people I am an alcoholic as I am not degrading myself by letting them witness the crazy person that I become once I take a drink.

But I am really pleased with my progress and taking it "One Day At A Time".

Peace and Love, Neo. x
Old 08-07-2009, 04:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good work mate, You have progressed really well, you should be proud of your self. Keep it up !!
Old 08-07-2009, 04:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Congratulations Neo.
The first month is definitely the hardest.
I can now go into the bars and order non alcoholic beer and not think anything of it but I wouldn't recommend you try it for at least 3-4 months in.
You are doing great.
Hope all is well as you continue your journey.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great work Neo
Well done

D
Old 08-07-2009, 04:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I don't see any positive things about it and no-longer can even view a bottle of whisky in the shop as being "fun".

Great statement...!

Keep on rockin'.......
Old 08-08-2009, 04:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Saturday today and the weathers really nice for the first time in weeks and weeks.
It funny because the thought of a drink entered my mind a few times today (as most days) but after the initial feeling of sadness/mourning/grieving type feeling then it passes. I find it sooo much easier now that I know 100% I am an alcoholic. I remember before I had 100% made up my mind I was an alcoholic then when the thoughts of drinking entered my head I was terribly torn between the devil on one shoulder and the Angel on the other. Horrible feeling.
A lot of it is to do with boredom. Obviously you can always go drinking as an activity and all of the pubs/bars will be full of people drinking. Also everyone my age who I could hang around with drinks, so I don't wanna mix with them at present.

Anyway, I will not drink today and I feel stronger as everyday goes by. I have learned so many techniques to nip the cravings to drink in the bud. 'Play the tape through to the end' - when I do that any romantic thoughts of drinking with buddies in the sun in pub beer gardens instantly vanishes and I think how that would end up - drugs/depression/blackouts/guilt/remorse/day 1 again!! No Chance!!!

I feel really good mentally at the moment and have the spring back in my step again when out n' about, I feel like a somebody again. I know drinking would strip me of all that again ( Been there 1000's times). I ain't never going back there man!!

Peace and Love. x
Old 08-08-2009, 05:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Congrat's on 30 days Sober Neo.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
DJ1

congrats keep up the great work
Old 08-08-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What you have said, I couldn't have said it better myself! I totally understand and feel the same way too! Good job on 30 days! Hope you are very proud of yourself, and keep it up!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

congradulation on your 30 days sober

Anyway, I will not drink today and I feel stronger as everyday goes by. I have learned so many techniques to nip the cravings to drink in the bud. 'Play the tape through to the end' - when I do that any romantic thoughts of drinking with buddies in the sun in pub beer gardens instantly vanishes and I think how that would end up - drugs/depression/blackouts/guilt/remorse/day 1 again!! No Chance!!!
thanks for the reminder and for giving me an affirmation to think in my mind...."i will not drink today as well. i will be vigilant in my recovery."
Old 08-08-2009, 07:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My feelings and thoughts towards alcohol have changed alot this time. I don't see any positive things about it and no-longer can even view a bottle of whisky in the shop as being "fun". I know I'l just feel crap after drinking it and I am enjoying not having to feel like I was after heavy binges.
It was a big corner for me to turn to finally have the revalation (beat into me) that I would always be just a drink away from my worst day of Alcoholism. The notion that there is any "fun" left in drinking is an illusion and a lie.

YouTube - Social Distortion-Ring of Fire
Love is a burning thing
And it makes a fiery ring
Bound by one desire
I fell down into a ring of fire

I fell into a burning ring of fire
Went down, down, down and the flames went higher
It burns, burns, burns that ring of fire, that ring of fire

The taste of love is sweet
when hearts like ours meet
I fell for you like a child
Ohhh but the fire went wild

It burns, burns, burns that ring of fire, that ring of fire and it burns

The taste of love is sweet
when hearts like ours meet
I hide before you like a child
Ohhh but the fire went wild

One more time
That ring of fire
That ring of fire
Old 08-08-2009, 07:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Neo,

good on ya man, keep it up. Day 79 for me.

Seeking
Old 08-08-2009, 06:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

NM,

congratulations! i'm right there with you. 30 days from now, we'll both be posting 60. it's good to hear you're going to get back into your music. keep it up.

best regards,

bh