Notices

Band Aid

Old 08-07-2009, 08:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I don't have any words of wisdom but wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers~
Old 08-07-2009, 09:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
Too - thanks for keeping us updated.

Quick question - have you worked the 12 steps?

Keep coming back, we're here for you.
I haven't worked the 12 steps. If I may ask a question... What does working the 12 steps have to do with mental (bipolar) and physical (fibromyalgia)illness?
Old 08-07-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

After a year and a half, if you're spiritually fit, the depression you're going through should have leveled off.

If, you've kept your Dr. abreast in how you feel, hopefully he can get you diagnosed correctly.

How heavy a drinker were you?

It took me two years before my emotions started to level. Then, I believe it's only due to the fact, I got serious on my spirituality.

My attitude today there isn't anything, I can't do with God's help.

Do you think, you're physical ailments play a part in your depression? You're still a young woman. It has to be frustrating to not be 100% healthy at your age. You get older, if you get out of bed and something doesn't hurt, you're probably dead
Old 08-07-2009, 09:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

But because I'm a sinner i find my self going round and round with things.
All of us are sinners, we make amends and we are forgiven, we also need to learn to forgive ourselfs as well.

I had that merry-go-around in my head for many years, I never could forgive myself, I lived depressed because I could not find a way to forgive myself, I drank to rid myself of those spinning thoughts of guilt, shame, and resentments.

The steps took me through a process of self inventory, identifying where I was wrong and needed to make amends and where I simply needed to forgive and let go and let God deal with it because once I had forgiven it was out of my hands and in his. I found by making amends where I could, causing no harm to others, I was able to acceopt the forgiveness of my HP and to also forgive myself by making amends by not repeating past bad behaviours or thoughts.

Are the steps a cure for depression? Not in all cases, but they were in mine, once I learned a process that I knew worked to deal with my situational depression things becam a whole lot better for me, so much so that the idea of a drink no longer even seems like a good idea.

There are plenty of alcoholics that do have chemical imbalances that cause depression that need to be dealt with by meds, but one of my sponsees who has been diagnosed with bi-polar by working with his doctor has been able to lower the dosage of all of his meds because he is no longer eat up with his past and has learned how to deal with the present on a day to day basis thanks to the steps.

We speak often about how he is doing, he sees his doctor on a regular basis, keeps up with his meds and he is doing great now. His doctor tells him that he is doing so much better now then he was just a year ago. He has been sober over 2 years now and finished the steps over a year ago, he has had his med dosage steadily decreased since he took the steps. More then likely he will never get entirely off of them, but he has not had the guilt and shame going on for a long time.

Suzette please make sure you are honest with your doctor and keep up with your meds, these things take time.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm in constant communication with my doctor and I'm thinking because I am feeling so poorly that I will call him today.
Thanks for posting on my thread and keeping me feeling a little better; it is nice to know that there is such wonderful people here that offer support freely.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just wanting to offer my support. I've only recently been looking at a BPD diagnosis after numerous anti-depressant trials and am now on my second anti-psychotic in an attempt to find the right combination. I'm sorry that you are going through a difficult time right now; I do understand what that's like. At the beginning of July I was hospitalized for three days because of suicidal ideation after an abrupt med change. I'm still not out of the woods, but I do feel much better.

And, although I do work the 12-Steps, they are no cure for my depression. I quit meds twice in sobriety and both times I crashed, hard. Living by the principles of the 12 Steps certainly helps, but there are some of us who really do NEED meds.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:02 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Rowan, it does seem like we are in a similar place. I was hospitalized for 3 days around the 10th of July for basically the same reason you were. I am glad you are feeling a little better; maybe we can help each other through this maddess.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Absolutely. PM me anytime and we can talk. I was in hospital July 8th to the 11th! Weird!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Any of you on here try herbal medicines?

I dislike putting anything pharmaceutical in my body unless, I'm in too much pain to sleep

I shake my head at the commericals saying the side effects are often worse then, what the drug is being prescibed

Herbal Treatment for Depression | AMORYN | Herbal Depression Treatment
Old 08-07-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yep I tried herbs - St. Johns Wort worked for a while.

I gave up booze, pills, cigs, men - I'll hang on to my meds, thanks!
Old 08-07-2009, 11:01 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Many many herbal medicines are NOT approved by the FDA and are not considered to be always safe. Faith healing and potions are not viable options for BPD.

Wishing you both peace and resolve Rowen and TM.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Yep I tried herbs - St. Johns Wort worked for a while.

I gave up , men - I'll hang on to my meds, thanks!

I am rather addicting :sorry
Old 08-07-2009, 11:04 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

*snort* I'll take your word for it!
Old 08-07-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Actually St. Johns Wort for bipolars can make depression worse.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:24 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Is there anything that, triggers your mood swings? Anything in your enviroment disturbing you right now??

Some doctors may recomend ECT as a part of Bipolar Disorder treatmentThis controversial treatment has been used with an 80% success rate in temporarily relieving the symptoms of bipolar and major depression. The procedure involves the administering of a muscle relaxant and short-acting anesthetic followed by a small shock of electricity sent to the brain which causes a generalized seizure that lasts for about 40 seconds. ECT is often considered useful for those individuals that fail to respond to drug treatments or are unable to use the medication prescribed, such as pregnant woman, those that suffer adverse drug side-effects, or individuals that need immediate relief from symptoms. While the response rate to ECT is usually very fast, most studies show that it only has a short-term effect and should only be used for immediate relief from a severe bipolar episode. As with other treatment options, it is important to research all the precautions and possible side-effects of ECT. Memory loss has been implicated as a serious side-effect and has made ECT a controversial issue.

Natural Herbal and Homeopathic Remedies

Should you wish to pursue a more natural approach to treatment there are various options that should be explored. Because Bipolar Disorder generally requires conventional drug treatment, caution should be exercised when combining the two as there are certain natural remedies for bipolar disorder which may be incompatible with the psychiatric drugs.

* Natural remedies for bipolar disorder should feature calming herbs which are generally safe to use along with psychiatric drugs for Bipolar Disorder include Passiflora incarnata and Lavender. Biochemic Tissue Salts such as Natrium sulphate, Kalium phosphate and Natrium phosphate can also be used as natural remedies for bipolar disorder since they have a calming and restorative effect on the nervous system and help to balance mood and prevent mood swings. Homeopathic remedies such as Tarentula and Hyoscyamus can also be very helpful and may safely be used together with psychiatric medication without adverse effect.

Bipolar Disorder - Natural Treatment for Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
Old 08-07-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

If there were a natural approach, I would definately use it.
I remember when I was in school studying Holistic Health, I never thought I would end up taking 10 different medications 20 years later. Without my meds. I know I would be worse off, probably dead. Life doesn't always follow the path that we think it will.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by Toomutch View Post
I haven't worked the 12 steps. If I may ask a question... What does working the 12 steps have to do with mental (bipolar) and physical (fibromyalgia)illness?
I would NEVER suggest anyone quit taking medication, just for the record.

Through medication, therapy, and the 12 steps, I now manage my depression & anxiety issues better than I ever have at any point in my life. Knock on wood...!

I am amazed, flabbergasted, appreciative, and in absoulte awe at how the 12 step program, once I really applied it to my everyday life, has enabled me to get a grip on the mental illnesses that formerly had a grip on me.

I'll never be cured. But I'm going to continue to attack my issues from every angle... meds, therapy, 12 steps... using whatever I can find. I'm winning the battle.

A therapist one day suggested I study the 12 step program for my depression and anxiety. "Why not give it a try...?, he said. Four years ago... I've never found the need to go back.

I admit that I am powerless over my afflictions, and that my life has become unmanageable.

I am the luckiest guy in the world for having discovered the 12 step program.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:17 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Suzette, I can't even begin to imagine the frustration you must feel when you think everything is "finally" right on and then it starts up again. My husband has depression, not bipolar, and I do know when the medicine has started to be ineffective and the dose needs to be readjusted. It is very frustrating, but thank God there is relief if you keep pursuing it.

I do believe in turning things over to God, but depression is another ball game and must be handled medically before you can reach the spiritual realm of healing - IMHO. Hugs and God bless your efforts Suzette. They will pay off. Sarah
Old 08-07-2009, 03:57 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

My two cents usually doesn't win me too many friends but the last person I am willing trust with my health is a Doctor.
They're too willing to give out pills to treat symptoms instead of fixing the problem. That way they're guaranteed to have return customers.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

That maybe your opinion, but it's not really helpful advice, especially here on a newcomers board, or here in this thread.

Sounds to me like you might need a new Dr.
D