Notices

oxycodone withdrawl

Old 08-06-2009, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

oxycodone withdrawl

Hi I currently take a drug called magnacet which is 10mg oxycodon and 400mg Tylenol, ive been taking this for 8 months now due to 2 degenerating disc in my back. ive withdrawn once before but went back on the pills. its kinda like a gift and a curse they work great for the pain but there so addictive. iam sure all of you know that. iam at the point where i dont wanna take them no more and the only time i have the will power to do so is when i run out and cant get a script till my next refill which happens everytime.

well ive lied to my wife and spent hundreds of dollars self medicating when i cant get my script and iam just done with it. i had my last few pills yesterday and i know for at least the next 4 days its gonna be rough and there isnt gonna be anything i can do about it. i seeked out to this fourm for help and someone to talk to. iam very embarrassed of my situation but i need to take control. iam in soo much pain right now and i think thats more overwhelming then the withdrawals. my next appointment with my doctor iam gonna tell him to switch my meds to hope that helps.but i dont know if there is gonna be anything less addictive but just as powerful for the pain. but in the mean time does anyone have any advice for me? i would greatly appreciate it thank you.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi apac

I don't use powerful pain meds myself but I expect others with more experience will be along soon.

I do urge you to see your doctor as soon as possible tho - be totally honest. Noone should have to be addicted to their pain meds.

You might also want to check out our Substance Abuse forum
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

and our Pain Management in Recovery forum
Recovery and Pain Management - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Welcome
D
Old 08-06-2009, 03:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

There is a lot of shame involved with addiction and it often prevents people from seeking help when they need it. I am so glad you found us.

I don't know if you will find something that works as well and is not addictive, but it is definitely something your dr can help you with.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Hello and welcome to our Sober Recovery community.

Is it possible to get with your doctor sooner
because of the severity of your condition?
Be absolutly honest with them about everything!
If necessary, please go to the emergency room.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your concern and help. Last night i cracked around 3:30 am and i took 1 percocet 5/325 just so i could sleep it was horrible. i hope that doesn't mess with my detox.

should i just quit cold turkey or kinda ween myself out of it?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Asking for or giving any kind of medical advice is not appropiate for this site.

Please call your health care professional about your concerns.
You will get much better answears from a qualified professional.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Heathen

Definitely see a doctor, and be completely honest about your addiction issues. I have been through some pretty painful stuff, but choose non-narcotic pain relief measures due to past addiction troubles. We're a lot stronger than most of us think.. I'd rather be in pain than become an addict again. Maybe your doc has alternative options for you like PT, acupuncture, exercise etc.

No one here can or will give you any medical advice.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Faerie

Speak to your doctor, I am a codeine addict and spoke to mine, was completely honest and he is now helping me wean myself slowly and safely off it.

You have many options but you MUST seek professional advice,

Good luck, you can do this.

Faerie
Old 08-08-2009, 09:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! Yeah, talk to your Doc. immediately. Tell him everything and DON'T be ashamed! You're doing something good for yourself and you know it. You know you have a problem and want to deal with it. It took me a long time to deal with my denial. You're alreay on your way. Keep it up.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm new here, and am on 120mg. oxy daily. My life has fallen apart (but was in the process of falling apart when I began taking them.)

They help with my pain, and allow me to teach yoga, but I am a mess - sweating, crying, nauseous, lonely. I drink some wine, but it usually makes me sick.

I hate the way I feel and despise my life.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ekat

welcome to you too.
You'll find a lot of support and, as you've seen, a lot of good advice here

D
Old 08-16-2009, 11:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ekat View Post
I hate the way I feel and despise my life.
Many of us have felt like this, Ekat. Did I read another post of yours where you indicated that you take your meds as prescribed yet you feel like an addict?

Do you want to tell us why you say that you "feel like an addict"? Everyone who takes opioids long enough will become physically dependent on them. That's not the same as being an addict. That being acknowledged, the fact that you hate the way that you feel and that you despise your life indicates that something is going on.

Would you mind telling us a little more about yourself? (Hopefully, Apac doesn't mind us hijacking this thread for awhile.)
Old 09-03-2009, 04:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi, Christin,

I'm a person who suffers from chronic panic. I'm diagnosed with depression + PTSD. Foolishly, I left medical school to raise my children while my husband went to medical school. I have no extended family or financial security. After a twenty-year marriage with two children, my husband divorced me (poking fun at my depressions in court.) I had a meltdown after the divorce and never recovered, despite good professional help. The coup de grace is when my two girls left me this
Spring. I never saw them again (ages 21 + 16.) They won't speak to me or contact me in any way. My depressions completely alienated them despite our VERY close relationship. If I wasn't so afraid of pain, I would kill myself.

I have a little dog who is my lifeline, and I have had to resort to taking a roommate to keep my apartment (I hate this guy, and would love to be by myself.) Better, I would love to be with my girls. I hate my life, this drug, and my total depletion.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ekat View Post
I have a little dog who is my lifeline,
You remind me of someone on a medical board that I've visited a few times (I don't recall her screen name). Like you, she hated the pills that she had become dependent on for pain relief, she was divorced and alienated by her family, and she had a beloved dog that was the only thing that made life the least bit tolerable for her. So... either you have an identical twin somewhere and you should be incredibly encouraged that I'm able to tell you that you are not alone, there is at least one other human being struggling in the exact situation as you or you should be encouraged to know that, after several months, God has brought us back together, meaning that He must want us in each others' lives. So, again... you're not alone.

I'm so sorry that you hate your life, Ekat. I hope that you take advantage of SR's pain management forum for support from people who understand where you're coming from. I seldom have used opioids for the long-term management of physical pain. My addiction developed as the direct result of using hydros/oxys to numb emotional/anxiety issues.

I believe that your twin suffered from anxiety that prevented her from attending support meetings. How about you? I wonder because, even if you have legitimate reasons to be on a narcotic, if you desire to stop using... you have met the one and only requirement to be a full-fledged member of Narcotics Anonymous. I highly recommend it!

Another suggestion that I have for when you're having a really lousy day is to read the various threads and to post on them. Helping someone else always makes me feel better. (Hint: Telling Tony that his avatar scares you doesn't count ).

I hope that you keep posting. Feel free to PM me as well.