Notices

Sober from the neck down..

Old 08-06-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober from the neck down..

Hello all. I am new to this forum so please bare with me. A little about my recovery, I have been sober a little over 6 months now. All is great thus far with one exception. When I quit drinking I went to AA meeting everyday and did so for the first 90 days. Since then I have only been 1 or 2 times because I am not having any issues and know the meeting is there as insurance if needed. My problem is here recently I have been having intense thoughts of drinking again. I tend to think about it all the time, and even find myself searching things like "how to hide drinking" on the internet. Weird thing is I know in my heart of hearts I will not drink again. 1st I made a promise to God and second I made the same promise to my family. I guess my question is this....will this ever go away?
Old 08-06-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR

I found I had to do a lot more than just not drink, SoberNTexas - taking booze away doesn't stop me from being an alcoholic, and it didn't do anything about the underlying causes that got me drinking in the first place.

Stopping drink was the easier bit - for me, staying stopped takes constant work.

I'm not an AAer but why not use a little more of that 'insurance'? Seems to me you could use some face to face support as well as posting here

D
Old 08-06-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"Since then I have only been 1 or 2 times because I am not having any issues..."

Yeah?

Keep coming back.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

When I quit drinking I went to AA meeting everyday and did so for the first 90 days. Since then I have only been 1 or 2 times because I am not having any issues and know the meeting is there as insurance if needed. My problem is here recently I have been having intense thoughts of drinking again.
Hi soberNtexas, If AA has helped you stay sober for 90 days then you stopped going, suddenly your thinking about drinking.....I think you need to get back in there and start working steps. There is a connection. The thinking changes before we drink. Take heed.
I hope I dont sound preachy......just my own experience. alcoholism is very cunning!!

I go to AA, it works for me. I like to stay focused and I have made some great friends as well as learn a whole new way of living.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dee is absolutely right.

I had to do a LOT more than stopping drinking too. Have you made any other changes in your life? I'm glad you are seeking support here.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

You know.. when I was actively drinking and really drinking a ton.. I would search for things like "liver disease symptoms", even while drunk. Crazy.

I'm not an AAer, but from what I'm reading, it might be time to have a chit chat with your sponser and get your butt back to a meeting and SHARE what you've been struggling with!

And thank you Tommy..lol.. no issues? Hardly!
Old 08-06-2009, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Hello and welcome to the SR community.
i hope that you continue forward thru life
and that you find a way to recover soon.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberNTexas View Post
Weird thing is I know in my heart of hearts I will not drink again. 1st I made a promise to God and second I made the same promise to my family. I guess my question is this....will this ever go away?
Have an experience with step one and see if your current perspective changes. As far as this going away, it did for me, problem has been removed, this was a direct result of working the steps and accessing the infinite power of God, you may want to consider formal step work, for me recovery based in spirit is much more enjoyable than abstinence. feel free to PM me if you want, I know a lot of solid recovered alkies in Texas.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello all. I am new to this forum so please bare with me. A little about my recovery, I have been sober a little over 6 months now. All is great thus far with one exception. When I quit drinking I went to AA meeting everyday and did so for the first 90 days. Since then I have only been 1 or 2 times because I am not having any issues and know the meeting is there as insurance if needed. My problem is here recently I have been having intense thoughts of drinking again. I tend to think about it all the time, and even find myself searching things like "how to hide drinking" on the internet. Weird thing is I know in my heart of hearts I will not drink again. 1st I made a promise to God and second I made the same promise to my family. I guess my question is this....will this ever go away?

I'm intrigued by this, where did you find this information?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Alarm bells ringing off. You "know" you will not drink ever again you say but the obsession is there? I don't know how you would know this for a fact, and it seems like a little bit of waivering on the question of if you are an alcoholic or not. Also, I don't like "promises" of sobriety--there is no way to know if you can keep the promise and you shouldn't be disingenous about that--I prefer to promise I will do everything I can in order to maintain my sobriety. Time to go to some more meetings, if you view AA as a life-raft for you to cling to when you get in trouble, this is trouble.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

Steps one through three can keep one sober for a long time. There is more

work to be done though. Find a home group to commit and things will take

shape I promise you. They would most likely be glad to hear from you.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety. It's hard work doing it how you've described.

1st I made a promise to God and second I made the same promise to my family.
I don't know about you, but my most sincere promises crumbled under the weight of my alcoholism.

Those intense thoughts of drinking may or may not fade over time. My own experience is that although they may fade for a while, they are always there. I didn't experience freedom from that bondage until I took the 12 steps and had a spiritual awakening.

You're an example of the good and bad in AA. Going to meetings, but not experiencing the solution, has given you relief. Time will tell if relief is good enough to keep you sober. For many, it is not. I've seen hundreds of people that got relief for a few months, and ended up drunk by year' end. That's the norm. If you want freedom, the steps may be the answer.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Sober, welcome to SR. I also only went to AA in the first couple of months of my sobriety but I continued to practice the steps (in my way) and will continue for the rest of my life. I had to change not just my drinking habit but ME and it took over a year until I was really comfortable with who I am. My drinking escalated over a 35 yr period I couldn't expect to be the new me overnight.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

6 months of many one days at
a time collected together to get
you where u r today sober is
nothing to sneeze at.

Reach around with both hands
and give urself a hug.

Family intervention sent me
to rehab for 28 days where
I picked up the tools and
knowledge of my disease
of alcoholism.

Just not drinking wasnt enough
for me because i tried countless
times on my own to stop for
what ever reasons to only fail.

I had to want the desire to not
drink more so than I wanted to
drink.

I had to look at the many times
i went to any lengths to drink
to go to any lenghts to not drink.

Sure i went to many meetings at
the beginning taking stock so to
spoke and putting them in the bank
for a rainy day. Meaning I listened
and absorbed of what recovery
was all about each day to rely
on if i became weak.

They talk about service work often.
To get involved u can be a part
of an awesome program and fellowship.

There r all sorts of things u can do
for service work....and mine was
suiting up and showing up even
when i didnt want to just so others
would see me. Not necessarily
hear me.

Why is that important? Well....
how many familiar faces have
u seen each time uve gone to
meetings? Every time u go there
there they are. It's a comforting
feeling isnt it?

Just think of the newcomers
coming in after you. They see
u there and how comforting it
is for them to see ur familiar
face. Wondering how u r staying
sober for as long as u have.

Just as curious as u are of the
many before u, then how curious
are the newcomer are of u. Right?

Tell them or share with them
ur experience strenghts and hopes
of what it was like before during
and after ur drinking.

As the many before u did that for
u to give u hope then u also give
hope to the many that follow u.

In doing so..... u also stay sober.

That's how ive stayed sober the many
one days at a time collected to-
gether to get me where I am today.

Hi Im Sharon and im an alcoholic.

By the Grace of my HP and people
like you here in SR I havent found
it necessary to pick up a drink of
alcohol since 8-11-90.

For that and you I am truely grateful.

And that's how it's worked for me.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

SobernTexas welcome to SR and congrats on 6 months sober.

So you went to AA for 90 days and did well, then you quit going for 90 days and are seriously thinking about drinking, what does that tell you? I know what it tells me even if I was not in AA I would tell you to go back if it worked for you.

Did you have a sponsor? If you did, did you take the steps with him? Did you have a spiritual experience? If you did have you been applying the steps to all areas of your life on a daily basis to maintain your spiritual fitness?

There is the AA fellowship, which for some is all that is needed, then there is the actual program of AA which is where I and many others have found a solution for our alcoholism. The solution lies within the first 164 pages of the Big Book and having a fellow alcoholic who had gone through these 12 steps with another fellow alcoholic take me through them sharing his experience, strength and hope he found in these very steps, I too had a spiritual experience that has provided me with a solution for life other then drinking.

For now I think you have answered your own question, get back to those meetings and for the long term solution I would suggest to get a sponsor and take the steps with him and find the FULL solution.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

here my experience..

so i finally get sober with some medical help..

good......i no longer have a physical allergy to booze because im not drinking it......ill do sh@t loads of meetings......job done?

nope..only just begining......that old mental obssession..the mental twist.
god it was hard work staying sober......that discontentment knawing away at me...jeez the wife looks happier...... problem is i wanna blow my head off.

i must be insane.....i aint like thoses other drunks...they get there lives back.
me...im just tortured mentally.
And the "f@ck it" day came.....once again attempting to drink to relieve my head games and give me peace....but ive triggered the allergy so im gonna be out for a while......

have you ever read the doctors opinion?........take a look.
he describes your situation perfect....and mine.

so heres the deal.......i no longer suffer from the mental obsession to drink.
why?......because i read the big book......and completed the 12 steps.
and had a complete re newing of my mind.....i was relieved...at last.

i feel born again......not in the christian sense....although there may be some truth in that.
but........
in the mental sense..........i truly know freedom unlike ive ever felt...

dont suffer like i did........read the doctors opinion.....and the big book of alcoholics anonymous......a dictionary helped me as well.
and there you will see yourself........and it will tell you precisely what to do about it...

god go with you on your journey to a new freedom......shaun
Old 08-07-2009, 09:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Resident grateful guy!

My friend i had several years under my belt when i decided i didn't need meetings. This was back in the 90's. Guess what? I'm just a little over 60 days now. This disease is 2 fold, and allergy of the body and an obsession of the mind. The obsession is simply the addict in us trying to get what it wants and it's a very cunning foe. My stepdad (rest his soul) had over 15 years and worked at Hazelden. When he retired he decided he didn't need meetings. He was drunk withing weeks of retiring. The addiction NEVER goes away! This disease is progressive and it progresses even when we're sober. AA and the steps are not something we do and suddenly we're cured, it's a life long process. If we stop doing what we need to do the disease will start to work on us and it WILL win if we are not working a program of meetings and steps. I'm not trying to beat my chest, just trying to get through to you what you're dealing with. This is my story, i hope you'll read it and i hope it helps you. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...inda-long.html

:praying
Old 08-20-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you to all for your words. I understand that you understand me and for that I am thankful.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

How's it going SnT?

D