Notices

Solution for middle of the night wanting to drink?

Old 08-05-2009, 03:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Solution for middle of the night wanting to drink?

does anyone know anything to kill the desire to drink in the middle of the night. tha's when i always get it, and i got it right now. getting very antsy, cant focus on nothing, and most important cant sleep. took another one of those anti seizure pills cause they put me in a weird place, but i know thats wrong. just dont care. and i gotta be up at seven. help me, somebody please. i keep forgeting that its always the nights that are the hardest, in th daytime so i'ma ask now when i remember even tho my mind and fingers are blury. sorry. im just a f-up. always been.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're not a f up!!!

What I would do is lay down in bed and read a book. Put a movie on, flip through the channels and find something to watch. Help the brain "relax".

thirty, I usually fall asleep with the tv on because my head just goes and goes and goes. Last night I turned it off for the first time in MONTHS!!!!! I have almost two years sobriety and sometimes things still get to me and it's hard to get some rest.

I figure as well, if I don't sleep well a couple nights in a row, eventually my body is going to crash.

Also, if you are still fresh in sobriety, your body may still be "detoxing". I know that when I stopped drinking I never thought I was going to get to sleep and it was a week or so and eventually I was AMAZED at how I just dropped off into la la land.

Keep it up, you can do this!!!
Old 08-05-2009, 05:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Throw all the booze out of the house. Unless you live in someplace with 24 hour liquor sales that's a great start.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Pray. Assuming of course that you believe in a power greater than yourself. Welcome to SR, thirtybubba. From this day forward please try to build yourself up rather than tear yourself down. Peace.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never keep alcohol in the house, and so when I had feelings like that, there were no options to drink. Have faith that it will get better.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hopefully you don't have any alcohol in the house.

My own ES&H is showing me that exercise during the day helps ensure sleep at night.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Are you drinking enough water? Maybe your body is crying out for water but, since you are used to drinking alcohol your body may be confused about what it needs.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcometo SR.
KenL stated almost word for word what I was thinking.
Well, 7AM here, so did you sleep? Keep posting and thanks for sharing.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR. I think coming here was an excellent thing to do.

Hope you check back in and let us know how you are.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Thanks to all who answered.

Yeah, Cactus, I did get to sleep about 3am.

To those who asked, no I don't have any liquor (drank it all... didn't buy more) but sometimes my roommates do. Luckily it takes them weeks to go through a bottle, so usually it's like a half a cup, which wouldn't do me anything. And only 80 proof at best...

Splendra, I'm definitely going to try that. That would make sense, I guess. Heck, I drank more water when I was drinking than lately. And Tommy's idea of exercise, maybe I don't get enough. I'm just afraid what with the detox pills of hurting myself (ie heart).

Although, after last night, I'm kind of afraid of the detox pills. Last thing I need is to go and get addicted to those. I'ma slow them down today.

So, I'm awake, one more time. Off to pretend at life for the next four hours. Thanks everyone, for helping me out.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

thirtybubba you have gotten some excellent suggestions, the way that seemed to help me the most was calling other alcoholics in recovery and simply talking to them, for some reason just talking to them for a few minutes about nothing much seemed to help a lot, that feeling of not being alone and speaking with some one who had been right where I was at and got through it gave me hope.

TV & reading helped to.