Notices

Cranky without sugar

Old 08-05-2009, 03:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I had major sugar cravings all the way until about 7-8 months. They did subside. I was eating ice cream daily almost. But I lost weight overall. I was gentle with myself and ate what my body was telling me thinking it would all balance out over time. Now I am back to normal— however, normal is definitely more sweets than before. When I drank, I never wanted sweets ever and now I do occasionally and I certainly eat a fair amount of ice cream but I can pass up the candy bowl.

The bad thing about sugar is that it spikes your blood sugar level and then leaves your body craving more. It is actually physically addictive I think. If you think it is a major problem you could try sticking to sweeteners with lower glycemic indexes like agave, maple syrup, stevia, fruit derived sweeteners. I found that chocolate was equally satisfying for me with the sweet craving and for some reason don't think that is always as bad. I would make shakes with unsweetened cocoa powder and stevia and a frozen banana and milk— stuff like that would help me. But I would also eat candy when I saw it.

I think the best advice is be gentle with yourself. Your body is going through a lot of changes. At a certain point your body will probably slow down on the sweet issue if you don't have food addiction issues— it just is a lot farther out than you might think.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Sweets79 View Post
I try fruit, but blah, don't want it! Is there anything to curb this strong craving for sugar?
I too went to the sugars when I stopped drinking and drugging. And I did gain a lot of weight. But for the time I was happy to feed my sweet tooth in light of the alternative...craving drugs and booze instead.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I remember they had ALOT of really yummy desserts that were very low cal.
Before I started abstaining from sweets my fiancee would stock the freezer with the WW desserts when they were on sale. Brownie ala-mode, peanut butter pie, key lime pie. Yummmmmm!!
Old 08-05-2009, 04:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
mergirl

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
You've got just over 90 days clean & sober?

Treat yourself to all of the sugary foods you want in my opinion.

Congrats on the first 3 months of your new life...!

Keep coming back.

Tommy, I think I love you. . . .

So I am an absolute ice cream junkie now. I am sure I eat more ice cream in a week sober then I did in a year while drinking. I buy the sugar free syrups like starbucks uses and make a 1/2 coffee (I use decaf) 1/2 fat free milk iced latte with those syrups and it fools my mouth pretty well. I also LOVE sugar free instant pudding, made with fat free milk. They have white chocolate, pistachio, chocolate, vanilla and banana at my store, yum!!
Old 08-05-2009, 05:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Sweets...

Yogurt works for me. I do like plain yogurt though (I know everyone says YUCK!). I blend it with a banana and honey and silken tofu. Creamy and sweet and good

There's a bunch of good lowfat frozen yogurt out there too!
Old 08-05-2009, 06:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sadly, me too. I never cared about sweet stuff that much, but after quitting - I craved candy bars & any chocolate especially. I'd constantly have Tootsie Roll Pops on hand to suck on watching tv at night - it's as if I missed the sugar and had an oral fixation - maybe from always having a drink by my side to sip on. After about 6 mos. I got myself off the sugar, except the one obsession that remains is Ice Cream! I just can't give it up. Yet. You can't make me.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I tried making cinnamon toothpicks one time as a substitute...but they were very strong and burned my mouth/lips.

Maybe I could try again and use less oil the next time...
Old 08-05-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Before I started abstaining from sweets my fiancee would stock the freezer with the WW desserts when they were on sale. Brownie ala-mode, peanut butter pie, key lime pie. Yummmmmm!!
Yes, their already prepared desserts are yummy. I used to bake desserts using their recipes sometimes also.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
I tried making cinnamon toothpicks one time as a substitute...but they were very strong and burned my mouth/lips.

Maybe I could try again and use less oil the next time...
That's original lol. Well, I made it 2 days, no sugar. Tomm when I am food shopping I will pick up some ingredients to bake something low sugar or with a sugar substitute. I'm not big on eating anything artificial, but at times, whatever. I just don't want to go from being depressed drinking, to being depressed and gaining more weight lol.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Gypsy Feet View Post
I also LOVE sugar free instant pudding, made with fat free milk. They have white chocolate, pistachio, chocolate, vanilla and banana at my store, yum!!
Oh wow, awesome! I gotta try that!

Astro logs off SR and races to the store..........
Old 08-05-2009, 09:44 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
mergirl

Haha, you can jazz it up into parfaits with frozen blue berries and crushed sugar free ginger cookie layers too!! nom nom nom
Old 08-06-2009, 12:10 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
You've got just over 90 days clean & sober?

Treat yourself to all of the sugary foods you want in my opinion.

Congrats on the first 3 months of your new life...!

Keep coming back.

?????

A very high percentage of alcohiolcs & addicts are addicted to sugar (and/or food).

It can kill.

Search & research always with an open mind.

Tons of info on this greatly misunderstood illness/addiction.

Call me the party spoiler, sorry, I'm not amused.

This is a very serious topic. I DO realize many of the posts are meant to be in fun...........but.........
Old 08-06-2009, 04:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,

I have a lil bit over 3 months sober now and I am noticing ALOT of sugar cravings. I read somewhere that this happens alot when you stop drinking because your body was used to getting alot of sugar from alcohol.

When I was younger, before I started drinking, I always had a sweet tooth. I notice that subsided when I was drinking heavily. I tended to crave salty foods. I had hardly any sugar cravings. Now they've returned with a vengeance, lol. I don't want to gain any weight and I know eating alot of sugar just isn't healthy in general, but I am extremely cranky if I don't get my cake or ice cream or what have you.

I try fruit, but blah, don't want it! Is there anything to curb this strong craving for sugar?
omg this explains the feelings im getting. when i was drinkin i woudnt EVER buy anything sweet or even except anything sweet if i was offered it but ive noticed since i stopped drinking ive been craving ALOT of sweet stuff. it all seems to look and taste soo much better.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

In early sobriety given my choice between satisfying cravings with a bag of soft chocolate chip cookies and drinking I found the few extra pounds (Lot more then a few LOL) I gained in the first year sober still left me far happier with me then I was as a drunk....... oh yea my wife and family prefered me chunky over drunk as well! LOL

A lot of good advice here, Weight Watchers is an awesome diet, when I have used it and FOLLOWED it I was stuffed, I had a hard time eating it all and still lost weight.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:44 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I just ate a HUGE bowl of caramel ice cream
Old 08-06-2009, 10:41 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
In early sobriety given my choice between satisfying cravings with a bag of soft chocolate chip cookies and drinking I found the few extra pounds (Lot more then a few LOL) I gained in the first year sober still left me far happier with me then I was as a drunk....... oh yea my wife and family prefered me chunky over drunk as well! LOL

A lot of good advice here, Weight Watchers is an awesome diet, when I have used it and FOLLOWED it I was stuffed, I had a hard time eating it all and still lost weight.
Hey Taz,

I lost alot on WW, but I found the diet messed my tummy up bad. They had suggested eating small portions of what you like to stay in your points, but never mentioned how important fiber was. I was younger when I did it, and thought wow, this is a miracle diet. I can eat WHATEVER I want and lose weight, and I did, but it def wasn't a healthy diet for me. I did enjoy alot of their recipes though and plan to find some old ones I used to make.

I remember they had this recipe for a key-lime pie with reduced fat graham cracker crust, key lime pie yogurt and cool whip I believe. It was delicious and extremely low in points. I think I am going to make that
Old 08-06-2009, 10:35 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Well, didn't make it to the supermarket. Gave in and had a DELICIOUS Ice cream cone AND a strawberry milkshake. Bad Bad Bad Sweets79! lol
Old 08-06-2009, 10:47 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Just me...

Try peppermints or butterscotch candies, keep them around. Other then that Eat whatever you want just remember to burn those calories.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:51 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Just found a new protein powder, caramel flavoured, very nice !!!
Old 08-07-2009, 12:21 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marty888 View Post
Just found a new protein powder, caramel flavoured, very nice !!!
Ack! No like caramel flavored anything! I only like it on my Frappucino, lol.