Notices

Media as a trigger....

Old 08-03-2009, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Faerie

Media as a trigger....

This may have been brought up before, so I apologize if it has, I'm new here.

As many of you beautiful people know I am a painkiller [codeine] addict working on weaning myself off.

I live in Australia and am constantly bombarded by painkiller and cold and flu medication ads on TV, in magazines and even on sides of buses.

OK, I accept that painkillers are a consumer product and that pharmaceutical companies have a right to advertise them. This is something I have to learn to deal with.

My biggest problem is that Nurofen Plus [ibuprofen and codeine] is now glamorizing their product using a sexy female jewel thief and most recently a 'Lara Croft' tomb raider style ad to push their product.

Is this crossing a line?

I am also aware of the sheer amount of cigarette, drug and alcohol use in TV and movies.

How does this affect you?

Would love to hear other peoples, thoughts, opinions and experiences on this topic.

Faerie.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I've been more aware of drinking and drug use, especially marajuana (my DOC) in TV lately. I think pot smoking is becoming more "socially acceptable" at least in the media. Of course alcohol has been in movies and, to a lesser degree TV, for years, and here in the states if you watch any kind of sporting event you are practely beat over the head with beer ads!!

Part of it is that I think we are more sensitive to it due to our addictions, but it is definately there. Hang in there. Take care.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Two phrases come to mind for me, and no offense intended:

"Life on life's terms."

Meaning we have to accept that 99.9% of the population isn't like us. The rest of the world can handle the commercials just fine.

"Reality sucks."

Meaning basically the same thing. There will be things in our daily lives that we simply must... ACCEPT.

My own ES&H suggests that you realize these are advertisements for products, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I do think the media glamourizes drinking and drug use. The people getting smashed are always so cute and darn loveable! A person is drunk and slurring and then miraculously gets their wits about them to have a shoot out with the bad guys.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Faerie

I know when I stopped drinking it seemed like everyone in movies or TV shows was drinking. It settled down - can't say as tho I notice now

I think it's just something else we have to live with until we get to that point tho.

Can't say I've seen the ad - being a man I never watch ads - I am a master of the remote LOL

D
Old 08-03-2009, 09:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

music makes me feel like drinking alot which kinda sucks cos i luv music
Old 08-03-2009, 11:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Media influnces us as much as we influence it

Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
This may have been brought up before, so I apologize if it has, I'm new here.

As many of you beautiful people know I am a painkiller [codeine] addict working on weaning myself off.

I live in Australia and am constantly bombarded by painkiller and cold and flu medication ads on TV, in magazines and even on sides of buses.

OK, I accept that painkillers are a consumer product and that pharmaceutical companies have a right to advertise them. This is something I have to learn to deal with.

My biggest problem is that Nurofen Plus [ibuprofen and codeine] is now glamorizing their product using a sexy female jewel thief and most recently a 'Lara Croft' tomb raider style ad to push their product.

Is this crossing a line?

I am also aware of the sheer amount of cigarette, drug and alcohol use in TV and movies.

How does this affect you?

Would love to hear other peoples, thoughts, opinions and experiences on this topic.

Faerie.
The media has countless effects on our society, especially if we've grown up with these images. But we are not helpless victims to media. You can surround yourself with reality and let that inform your values. You can learn to let most advertisements not have an effect on you by studying propaganda. You can write letters to your local TV station or local newspaper. I understand it's a trigger, I see liquor stores and beer ads everyday. If I don't learn to see the advertisement for what it is, propaganda, my willpower will be weakened and I will drink. Short of working for an ad agency, we're never going to change advertisements in this country, short of a boycott on a certain product, which in Faerie's place would be a good thing to stop using. I'm sorry the media is so invasive where you live (you'd never see an advertisement in the U.S. for Vicodin, Demeral or Morphine), but you can't really change it. You just have to learn to ignore it, though I like to watch ads targeted at the 18-24 group to see what kind of tactics they're using. But rarely anymore does an ad make me want to go out and buy what's being shown on my TV. It's just noise.

And there is no line as far as advertisers go. The sexy jewel thief ad is meant to make you associate sexy with painkillers. If you're rational enough you can look at it and know it's propaganda, it's not true. Sure children will have less ability to do that, but that's what...oh what's the word..ah yes PARENTS are for. It's they're responsibility to teach them what advertising is, assuming they don't figure it out themselves. Look at some of these creepy old-school ads. Most of it is protected freedom of speech (cigarette companies can't air commercials targeting children) and its made to exploit your most basic fears and desires to make you feel you would be a lesser man/woman without it. It's all a game, just get good at tuning it out. I'm tired of media taking the rap for all of the world's problems because there's usually deeper issues going on when a kid brings a gun to school and sprays his classmates with bullets. But oh no, he listened to Marilyn Manson, and despite that the guy is actually a smart, intelligent man and an artist, he gets banned from Colorado, based on a rumor the kids liked his music. Or blame a videogame when a teenager shoots his best friend, even though his father has a whole case full on un-protected rifles in his house. The media has its sins, but it's a reflection of this society, like it or not, and the ads are a reflection of the most base values we live by. We influence the media just as much as it influences it, yet people think they're unwitting victims. CNN goes on a 5-hour streak about Michael Jackson and what he wants in his casket, because there's enough people to watch it, even though the Taliban is closing in on some 60 nuclear bombs in Pakistan. It comes down to money for those networks and ratings. My point is, that aside from joining the media, you can't do anything about it. Just live with it and discover your own values with real people, not from a beer commercial with women in bikinis.

And often the cig, drugs and alcohol use is relevant to the story plot (though sometimes its product placement, which I despise) and is trying to bring a sense of reality. These images and products are going to be everywhere for as long as society uses those drugs, we have to learn to see through it and not let it affect us. Sure everytime someone pours a drink in a movie or TV show, I want to have one. But I'm stronger and more intelligent than that. It's not a hard skill to obtain. Mountain Dew did product placement in The Matrix, did I stop watching it? No. Neither did I go right out and buy some Mountain Dew because I knew I was being sold to.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Faerie

Hi Not blaming media for my problem, I too believe in free speech, you have some great points Clay [as always]

I guess I personally find it hard when I have worked hard NOT to think about pills and then am reminded.

Also angry that pain meds are being glamorized.

Oh well, unless I wanna live in a cave I have to learn to live with it. Period.

Faerie.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rockstar

We don't get painkiller ads here in the UK, at least Ive never seen one. And tobacco and beer ads are banned here. I find music magazines the biggest culprit of advertising booze but hey who am I to argue? I myself advertise Jagermeister as I have some of their branded clothing, and my living room I have a giant inflatable 4ft Jager bottle
Old 08-04-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smynthia View Post
I do think the media glamourizes drinking and drug use. The people getting smashed are always so cute and darn loveable! A person is drunk and slurring and then miraculously gets their wits about them to have a shoot out with the bad guys.
It kills me every time that I see "Do you have a little captain in you" commercials. NO ONE will ever argue about how big a problem DUI is but yet Congress OK'ed liquor commercials on tv. I remember when liquor ads on tv were illegal. Really, how strong are the liquor lobbyists?

They do not want sites like this and they love that rehabs fail. NASCAR, the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc are all slaves to the alcohol companies.

Does the media glamorize it? I do not know. Do they love the money in spite of the consequenses? Are ya' kiddin' me?