Notices

I can't handle it anymore

Old 08-03-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't handle it anymore

So here I am again, hung over, feeling like garbage. Had another weekend bender. I just can't seem to take the withdrawal symptoms. I drink to make them go away, knowing it is just going to make them worse. Now it is Monday, and time to sober up. I am at work, just hating myself. I need recovery. I am drinking as much water as I can, trying to make these feelings go away. I just want to reach out to my wife, parents, and admit my addiction. So afraid to do it though. Why can't I beat this myself? I know there is help available, but am too ashamed to seek it.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Faerie

I too was scared and ashamed to admit to my addiction and seek help.

When I finally did my friends and family gave me nothing but love and support, I hope it will be the same for you too.

Remember water is your best friend right now, please don't hate yourself, you're human, we all slip during our recovery journey.

Welcome back, I'm glad you are here.

Faerie
Old 08-03-2009, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you do need to admit to yourself that you need to deal with the addiction. There is help available, and there is lots of support here at SR. What can you differently next time so the same thing doesn't happen to you? What changes can you make in your life?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"Why can't I beat this myself? I know there is help available, but am too ashamed to seek it."

Sorry to hear of your situation.

On the positive side though -

Often times knowing the problem is the most important step toward a solution.

It appears that you do have a solid grasp on knowing the problem.

More good news - contrary to what anyone else tells you... you NEVER have to drink again if you so choose.

Keep coming back.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I just want to admit it and get help. I am too scared and ashamed though.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Most of the time, most of the significant others in ours lives already know. Once you open up, I believe you will find love and support waiting for you.

You will always have it here. Keep coming back.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Man does that sound familiar, when I was on the verge of losing it all I finally surrendered to the fact that I had to get and stay sober or die and I could not do it by myself!!!!

I would strongly suggest that if you are serious about ending the insanity that you see a doctor and be TOTALLY honest with the doctor about the following:

1. How much you drink when you drink.
2. How often you drink.
3. How long you have drank.
4. What happens to you when you drink.

I know how hard it is to be honest with ANYONE about my drinking, but it is crucial that you get a doctor in the picture if you are getting withdrawal symptoms.

Be willing to follow suggestions!!!! If your doctor suggest a medical detox.... DO IT!!!!

People can and do die all the time trying to detox without medical aide.

I just want to reach out to my wife, parents, and admit my addiction. So afraid to do it though. Why can't I beat this myself? I know there is help available, but am too ashamed to seek it.
Reaching out for help was the toughest thing I ever did, but it has also been the most rewarding thing I have ever done as well.

Here is what I did:

1. Saw a doctor who said I needed to be detoxed.

2. Went into detox and they told me if I wanted a chance to stay sober long term to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor.

3. Went to AA (The last place I wanted to go) & got a sponsor.

4. People in AA with long term happy sobriety told me that if I wanted what they had to take the steps with my sponsor.

5. I took the steps with my sponsor and in the steps & the fellowship I found freedom & life! A new life free of alcohol and all of the insane thinking it brought to me.

6. Today I sponsor other men taking them along the same path I and millions of others have walked in AA to freedom and sanity.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

noone I know ever beat this alone bdiddy.

Keep trying and posting
D
Old 08-03-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bdiddy5522 View Post
Thanks everyone. I just want to admit it and get help. I am too scared and ashamed though.
There has got to be a way for you to even baby step your way to doing it. I know it's hard and I don't believe anyone who knows they have a problem jumps up and down all excited. Coming to terms with it is not easy.

I hope you will talk to your wife, maybe make some phone calls? Look in your local phone book pages for resource numbers? Crisis hotlines? Call AA?

Keep coming back, you know we're always here for ya.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

i didn't get clean and sober to constanly wrestle with this disease.
i can't beat it, can't change it, can't rearrange it. It is what it is.
So far, a daily acceptance & surrender to a power greater than the
disease i have within me has worked for 3 years-6 months-3 days.

If you want to begin a procees of becoming abstinent,
which could lead to a 12 Step & 12 Tradition recovery,
then stop believing the illusions & take positive action.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Bdiddy5522,
I hope that I am not stating the obvious, our situation thrives on pride. I am ashamed and I also hate myself when I slip. You are in the right place if you really want help. This site, AA, Detox, rehab, there are so many ways to get clean. As a recovering alki, I hope that you really fight to get through this. The people here are incredible and are true of spirit. No one will judge you for any shortcomings. Like many others, I feel your pain and I hope that you work to succeed.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I know that feeling. I knew I needed help. I still do actually. But it took me so long to ask for it.
And when I finally broke down and said those words out loud. It was just 2 and a half yrs ago I said them.."I need help!"
It was a relief really.
It was alot of guilt, same and embarrassment that kept me from seeking it.
But now I look back and see that what I should have really been ashamed of was, Doing like I was doing and acting like it was ok and like I didnt care. Or I was so oblivious to it.
I know its hard to see now. But there is no shame in wanting to get better.
I hope you find some help soon.