Notices

Sober... now what?

Old 08-03-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone for your words of encouragement!

I have a ton of ideas for activities (drawing, painting, candle-making, photography, aerobics, tennis, yoga, dance, cooking, etc.). But then, as usual, I find myself seeking instant gratification, then getting overwhelmed and frustrated.

I also have generalized anxiety disorder that I am currently trying to address for the first time without alcohol in the picture, so searching through doctors and psychiatrists also makes me frustrated.

I feel like I have lost so much time that I want to do everything at once, and while I realize that is not possible it is hard for my ever-racing mind to stay focused on one thing at a time. For now I am just focusing on at least going for a walk every day and doing a lot of reading.

I recently moved to a new city and I think I may look into area AA meetings again, because I'm sure there are tons and tons of different places here. I am bound to feel comfortable somewhere!

Thanks again!
Old 08-04-2009, 04:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Activities are a great idea but I would recommend that you start off with something where you can gradually get good at (i.e salsa classes,etc..), so that you can appreciate your improvement at something completely new.

If you have the chance, also try horse-riding as it can really teach you to be in control and focused without much effort. I personally found it a great experience.

Reading and walking are a good start if you feel comfortable being on your own, otherwise I would suggest different activities to begin with where you can genuinely socialize with others, this can help you find your direction in life again. Also stay connected online like you are doing and maybe try an online support community, like myrecoverynet.com to share your experience with others and you will get the right amount of support whenever you need it.

Whatever you decide to do, just know that you are not alone and we have all been there at some point. Don't be too harsh on yourself, what you are doing for yourself is the best thing and it's not easy. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

nunyabiz84 give your local AA hotline a call, you mind find a ladies meeting a bit more comfortable at first, not sure if you are in Chicago proper, but if you are I bet there are a ton of ladies meetings.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi nunyabiz,

the early days of not drinking take some getting used to, especially if you did everything with a drink in your hand like I did.

Just take it slow, a day at a time, read and post here - there's a lot of us using a variety of different methods here - I hope you'll find something that will work for you

welcome!
D
What Dee said! There are a lot of methods. Find what works best FOR YOU! Take your time. It's ok if it feels like time is passing slow. Get used to that feeling. We're here for you so please keep coming back to SR.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

hi nunyabiz and welcome to sr.1 day @ a time made a valid point that concerns my esh,,,when i went to AA this time i did everything completely opposite to what i wanted,thought expected etc.in other words i stopped fighting.i stopped doing things how i saw fit.instead i went to lots of meetings in allsorts of weather,got buses,rang round for lifts,made several phone calls a day to fellow AAers.then i got a sponsor and im working the 12steps.my life has changed beyond recognition in a very short while.there is not enough hours in the day! i also volunteer for the red cross,i give my time willingly.i undersatnd that AA is not for everyone but just a little of my journey for you.i wish you well with your sobriety and congrats on your sober time.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I was 50 yrs old when I stopped drinking and felt like a 12 yr old, I was practically scared of my own shadow. I had no idea who Judy was w/o my life long 'friend' alcohol. I went to AA meetings in the beginning but I really just wanted to be alone. The meetings weren't for me but the 12 steps helped me immensely and continue to be a guide for living my life. It took me 12-18 months to truly adjust to my new sober self, and the time was well spent as I am now happier, more content, calm, forgiving, etc etc etc. Be patient with yourself.