Notices

I am out of control

Old 08-03-2009, 11:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
If you are seeking a life without that mess... a sober, happy, full life... Never forget how you feel right now. Write it down in a journal if you have one... if not, this would be a good time to start one.

Never forgetting how you feel right now doesn't mean you always have to feel this way, you do not... But if you forget, you may find yourself here again, neck deep.

Mark
I think this is a good idea. One effective practice that I've seen a few acquaintances use is to start a recovery blog (or vlog, depending on your feeling about video). They put their recovery process out there to the world so that they are held accountable, and so they can get support and ideas from others who relate to their story. It's worth a try if it helps.

It is a very good thing that you're recognizing the negative aspects of extensive drinking. None of us like the feeling of being out of control, no matter how good the feeling of a buzz is. Seeking help is key, but if I might offer a bit of advice? In cases like this, the urge to drink beyond boundaries is often associated with a deep-seeded issue or trauma. Have you gone through something recently that makes you feel that alcohol is the answer? If you feel that you could be overcompensating for something else that's going on in your life, then consider what kind of treatment or support your group of choice may offer. It's better to go for something that will help you uncover the underlying problem as well as the alcoholism itself. Otherwise, it might continue to flair up at inopportune times.

Good luck to you, and keep us posted on how your 30 days is going. We're rooting for you!

-DH
Old 08-03-2009, 12:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

For anyone who feels alone with their drug and/or alcohol problems...

There is a WONDERFUL group of people in AA and NA that have been through it too.

These people are willing to assist you in getting through it all, you don't need to be alone.