Notices

can i still use wine to enrich my food?

Old 08-01-2009, 11:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am currently on my 16th day sober and yesterday after a couple of days of drinking 0.0% alcohol beer I decided to pack that in. Not because it was a trigger, but because I just didnt want a link to alcohol.

Regarding mouthwash, aftershave and cooking with alcohol can I just clarify your collective(?) opinion on this. Do some of you refuse to use these products because you consider that they may be a trigger to start drinking conventional alcohol again, or is it because you think that the alcohol levels in these foods/products is too significant?

My opinion is that the only cause to object to the use of these products(and a justifiable objection) is that it could be a trigger for some people. I really cant see that the negligable amount of alcohol left after the cooking process in food could ever be enough to be significant in its own right.

Without getting into the "should I drink no-alc beer thing" again, I see the objection with that as it is a drink that is intented to taste like alcohol and is a direct substitute, especially when it does in most cases contain 0.5%.

But the idea that some people may find that they have eaten out somewhere and found that it was cooked with alcohol, that they will then, after say 2years of sobriety think "its all ruined! back to day 1 again" freaks me out a bit.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wolfchild View Post
i think you will do what you want to do. What i say will not make a difference if your mind is already made up. You went in detail about how lovely and wonderful cooking with alcohol is for you. i am sure that you have your reasons for not letting go absolutely. As long as your willing to be responsible for your decisions regarding alcohol, then what's the big deal? If you want to learn the hard way, go for it! However, i will tell you that 100% total abstinence has been the only thing that has ever worked for me. And that's something that appears to be working for alot of others here as well.
Dandare:I hope the above answered your question..please be careful
with early sober time..lol...Oz..
Old 08-01-2009, 11:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=TheChangingMan;2316881
But the idea that some people may find that they have eaten out somewhere and found that it was cooked with alcohol, that they will then, after say 2years of sobriety think "its all ruined! back to day 1 again" freaks me out a bit.[/QUOTE]
..some people.....some people require a solid foundation for their
sobriety to survive...
'always keep your words soft and sweet,incase you have to eat them..'
Old 08-02-2009, 01:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

thanks for your replies guys. i am thinking that i need to give up alcohol but i dont want to completely rule out situations where alcohol is available to me. as long as i dont drink the stuff im ok. its the first drink i need to avoid. my wife drinks very little but she has a booze cupboard in the house. she stores vodka, martini and taboo there. at one stage i was hitting that cupboard and replacing her "stolen alcohol" with water so she wouldnt notice the volume going down in the bottle. after a few goes at this i would realise the contents were coloured water so i had to replace the stuff with the real undiluted macoy!!! :rotfxko.

also going to restaurants. last night was my 1st venture out without alcohol and i didnt miss it abit. my wife had 2 alcoholic drinks but i had diet coke. i actually remembered my great meal this morning.

as for me i think i will still use wine in my large batch cooking where i put in 1 full bottle but wont be going down the road of buying a bottle and using 1 teaspoon of the stuff.

i dont ever remember a recipe calling for 1 teaspoon of red wine and the rest of the bottle for dandare!!!!!!!!!

dandare
Old 08-02-2009, 04:07 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

ozsandy...i's sunday night in sth aussie...
Old 08-02-2009, 05:17 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I still LOVE food that's been cooked with alcohol to enhance the flavor. For me, I don't see the harm in it. I know I'm not going to get a buzz off of it.

But to bring the alcohol into the house to cook with? HOLY CRAP!!! I wold have to call a team in to help me cook, LMAO!! Someone to help me buy it and three to help me cook it. Someone would need to dump it down the sink while the other two people held me down. Hee hee........

"Noooooooooooo, not the wine.............!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I would not suggest it.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OZboy View Post
..some people.....some people require a solid foundation for their
sobriety to survive...
'always keep your words soft and sweet,incase you have to eat them..'
Not sure if you got the wrong end of the stick or not. I am just curiosu if anyone would conside their sobriety ruined and consider it a relapse/slip up or whatever you want to call it if they ate a meal that was cooked in alcohol.

The act of pouring wine into food would be an obvious trigger for many of us, but if a meal cooked in alcohol was eaten "by accident" would anyone consider that to be a relapse and, as I said, start from Day 1.

That is my question. Not judging at all. Just curious as to the degrees some people take it.

BTW "Some people" is not meant in a derogatory way, if that is indeed how you took it.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

i know what you mean..but gee..wizz..it's like this stop drinking thing..

is gonna control your life forever...f#cked if i know.....
Old 08-02-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

At the end of the day the way I see it is Each to their own. People can choose to do whatever they wan't in this life. Many on here have chosen to abstain from drinking alcohol.

If an individual is happy eating food cooked in wine/beer or whatever then fair-f*cks to them I say. It's their life and their sobriety and nobody else's. If they ain't then they ain't.

To actually cook the food yourself however, using alcohol during the cooking process from a bottle of wine, is something I would never even consider as it's way too risky for me. Not that I cook anyway!haha.

No worries.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:21 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

i know what you mean..but gee..wizz..it's like this stop drinking thing..

is gonna control your life forever...f#cked if i know.....
I'll leave it there then.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

go to bed neo...
Old 08-02-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheChangingMan View Post
I'll leave it there then.
so you admit that you were. wrong?
Old 08-02-2009, 06:26 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

go to bed neo...
? Are you alright mate?
Old 08-02-2009, 06:38 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

so you admit that you were. wrong?
What on earth are you talking about? Are you trying to start an argument? I havent stated anything to be wrong about. All I have given is my opinion and stated quite clearly I am not judging anyone.

What is wrong with you that you need someone to admit they are wrong? I was just asking a question that you objected to for whatever reason. You replies have been offhand and borderline offensive with your bad language.

I come on here mainly to read posts from helpful people and to get support as I make the biggest change in my life yet. I didnt come on here to have arguments with you.

If you want to start arguments find someone else.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

..gee the silence is golden...
look..i don;t mean to be a pain..anybody trying to become sober is a
hard task...so,keep trying.....lol..Oz..
Old 08-02-2009, 06:45 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

i'm really sorry...i say things that i don't mean...sorry..
Old 08-02-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let's try to keep this thread on track with the original question asked by the poster.

Any personal comments must be kept to PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

This thread will be temporarily closed.

I apologize to those who were using it properly.