Notices

18 and New

Old 07-31-2009, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

18 and New

Hi, My name is John.
I am 18 years old and goto to College at DMACC.
I've been drinking since my softmore year in high school.
It's never really been a problem untill my senior year.
I've gotten caught by my parents many times like 4 and every time it sucks.
They caught me 19 days into my summer and found out I was an alcoholic and found out I was drinking everyday and how I used to smoke pot all the time.
But just too days ago I got caught again.
I've found out its better just to quit all together maybe until I'm older or just quit it all together.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome Jeb!
Do you believe that you are alcoholic or rather, you would just like your parents off your back?
Either way, you are in the right place.
Please poke around, and read. There is so much to be learned here!
Old 07-31-2009, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Jeb. Welcome to SR. It's sad how alcohol affects us all, young and old. Please keep coming back to SR for support and advice. There are a lot of good people here who offer help and comfort.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome Jeb, and congrats for addressing a problem before it becomes more of a problem.

First... a person takes a drink.

Eventually... the drink takes the person.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR Jeb, you're never too young to try recovery. We've got members as young as 14 at the meetings I attend.

Here's a site for you to check out ICYPAA - The International Conference of Young People in Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 07-31-2009, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome John.....Glad you are here. I wish I would have stopped around your age. I was a problem drinker by age 18--and I think full blown alcoholic by age 23. The drinking will only get worse and will eventually lead you down a road you wish you hadn't traveled....at least that's how it happened for me. Hang around--keep posting. There is hope!
Old 07-31-2009, 09:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR John, if you are an alcoholic then drinking is usually an all or nothing thing. I am an alcoholic and live is so much better just not drinking one day at a time.

Do some serious reading about the progression of alcoholism, that should help you decide if drinking when you are older is a good or bad idea.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Hey John.
I'm another 18 year old, though I'm a drug addict. I'm currently 78 days clean and honestly, probably couldn't have done it without this site.
Glad to see you here and hope you stick around . You'll get lots of support here.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I started smoking pot and drinking wrecklessly when I was about your age now. I continued to do so for the next 20+ years as it slowly destroyed everything I held dear in my life. It sounds like you are starting to make good decisions about this.

I know, especially at your age, it is very difficult in our society to say, "I'm never going to drink again", even if you recgonize that you do have a problem. That is why I think it's good that you are willing to say you are going to stop for now, and reeveluate the situation down the road when you are more "mature." Some would argue with me about this, saying it shows a lack of comitment, but I think if you are willing to comit to the here and now, you can let the future work itself out then. It is also good that you are leaving open the posibility of not ever drinking again. That's not a choice you have to make today. Stay in the present and the future will be bright. Take care and welcome to the SR forums.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TTOSBT View Post
Welcome Jeb!
Do you believe that you are alcoholic or rather, you would just like your parents off your back?
Either way, you are in the right place.
Please poke around, and read. There is so much to be learned here!
Thats the question. I do love my parents and I am tired of breaking my parents hearts. But I do know that theres a good reason they don't want me drinking. There trying to stop me before I hit rock bottom. So I think I should listen.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by Jeb18 View Post
Thats the question. I do love my parents and I am tired of breaking my parents hearts. But I do know that theres a good reason they don't want me drinking. There trying to stop me before I hit rock bottom. So I think I should listen.
That answer shows maturity beyond your years.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR, Jeb. I sure wish I would have had the sense to sober up at your age. You can turn this around right now. YOU have to want to.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeb18 View Post
John,
Oh, how I wish my son had your wisdom!! He's 19 next week -- has flunked his first year of college, had 2 wrecks, been arrested and recently just was released from 6 weeks in rehab! All this damage was done in the span of a year!! You are on a very slippery slope at a time when it will take all your wits and energy to get through this next phase of your life and on your own two adult feet. Please do yourself and your parents a HUGE favor and get help now. You have your entire life in front of you and alcohol and drugs serve NO USEFUL purpose! Please think long and hard about your options. Please.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi John

Lots of good advice here - I won't add to it for now
Welcome to SR - keep reading and posting

D
Old 07-31-2009, 02:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi John, welcome
Old 07-31-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Hello and welcome to the Sober Recovery community.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi again John, Welcome
Old 07-31-2009, 06:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi John,

Welcome!

I am so glad you are seeking support.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey John, I'm 22, so around your age, and if you know by 18 that there's a problem, it will only get worse over time unless you decide to do something about it. Take action, and don't let it do any more damage than it has already. Grateful to see some other young people my first day on the board.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi there, what a good move you are making.

Many, many people here would not have had your maturity to look for help at such a young age. it us a credit to you and you should act on your first move. Its all ahead of you and it is all good. Young people need a success story now and again, a role model of how to live a happy and successful life without getting waisted. Believe me, it is not cool to win the drinking games, it is sad.

I wish you a happy journey on your sobriety.