Notices

My Story

Old 07-30-2009, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

My Story

I've been lurking here for awhile and finally thought I'd join and share my story.

I'm 43 years old and have been drinking since I was 14 (1980). My binge drinking really kicked in during my college years (1984-88). After college I was able to cut down to the occassional weekend. My "social" drinking was under control until about ten years ago (1999). For some unknown reason I found myself drinking more and more often. I got a DUI in November of 2003 and was able to quit cold turkey for 60 days. After that, I figured I was "cured" and began drinking again in February 2004. It started with about 4-6 beers per night, almost every night. As the years went by, this increased to 8-10 beers, then to 12-18 on an average week night and about 20-24 on the weekend days/nights.

About the middle of June this year I suddenly started to feel anxious and paranoid about everything and everyone and couldn't get a good night's sleep. This feeling only went away after about 10 beers or so. Then on Monday, June 22, I went to work and simply began freaking out with a panic attack and an overall feeling of anxiety that wouldn't go away. One of my co-workers took me to emergency where I was re-hydrated and prescribed an anti-anxiety drug. The doctor informed me that I was probably an alcoholic and suddenly a light went on over my head. I was finally able to admit to myself that I had a major problem and needed to make a change right away.

It's now 39 sober days later and I had forgotten what it feels like not to drink. The anxious feeling is totally gone and I no longer need the medication. I still have urges to go back to the beer, but reading the forums here have helped me stay the course.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I'm at 80 days today and personally feeling as good about the concept of sobriety as I ever have in my life. I had forced myself to quit a few times in the past, just to prove to myself that I could go without it for one month, or three months. This time is different because I've concluded that alcohol simply not compatible with my life anymore. During those weak moments in the past, when I've said "what the hell" and just downed that first drink to break the sobriety ice, I've always regretted it later. Now, I think about the people here who have devoted time and emotions to helping me, and it gives me pause -- long enough to regain control -- when those moments arrive.

I strongly encourage you to remain sober, post frequently, and listen to the great help and insight that you'll gain from the wonderful, knowledgeable people on these boards. I certainly have.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Hi and Welcome to SR
and congratulations on your39 days sober!
I am glad you have found us, this is a great place..have a look around
Old 07-30-2009, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 07-30-2009, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome former beer lover...

I guess I am a former beer drinker, former lover, well that too... Except that was one love affair I wish I hadn't had!

Lots of good stuff here... keep posting

Mark
Old 07-30-2009, 12:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Way to go, sobriety is a wonderful journey to share.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on 39 days!
Old 07-30-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome to SR.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey FBL!
39 days is great

welcome to the gang!
D
Old 07-30-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
jimbo

well done to you

stay sober love life

keep up the great work
Old 07-31-2009, 08:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome(s)!

Today is Day 40 for me. The weekends are the toughest, since that's when I really went to town on the beer. I not only enjoyed the beer drinking, I truly loved it and looked forward to it every day.

This being sober all the time isn't the easiest thing in the world, but so far I feel better than I have in years! Just have to keep fighting off the urges.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hello FBL - be proud of yourself for seeing the light. I have a very similar story - DUI's later in life definitely forced me to take a hard look at what I'd been doing to myself. (Blew a 3.2 bac once.) I had to learn to live again in a new way, and it was hard. I had fallen back on alcohol to get me through bad times, but also used it to "enhance" good & happy times. I never actually felt any raw emotions as an adult. Growing up & maturing later in life is challenging, but I'm so glad to be here walking this new path, not 6' under or in jail for vehicular homicide.

Welcome to the family, we're glad you are here with us.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the SR community.

Congrats on staying sober!
Are you recovering as well?
Old 07-31-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome FormerBeerLover,
40 days is wonderful.
Starting all over with today being day 3, after over 5 years of being Budlite free. Going to an AA meeting again tonight, going to try hard to do 90 in 90 days.
Good people here, lots of love, support encouragement and guildance offer here. Your at the right place!
I needed to hear this today, offering my support to you, from one drunk to another.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR