Notices

um.....just some thoughts

Old 07-30-2009, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool um.....just some thoughts

hi i'm tess....
i've been floating around and reading the posts, it has answered numerous questions for me, as well as helped pass some bad times... so thanks for that!

just a mini rant really........ been 26 days sober and my brain is very tangly... racing thoughts are driving me to distraction, joy.
after a particularly bad few years i feel good about being free and not trapped by the neverending glass of gin/vodka/wine/cider.......... i'm not tempted to drink at the moment after a last detox in hospital and the two months prior were so yack and terrifying.... however i do know this will get tougher and the 'calm after the storm feeling' is already setting in- time seems to be passing incredibly slowly and having so much time for thought/reflection is a little unnerving to say the least.

toward the end i had lost a lot and didnt leave the house bar dj-ing and occasionally going out/ having people over to get smashed... but the norm was to drink endlessly alone in my room... this went on for longer than i can
remember... so filling time is pretty hard at the moment

i guess amidst a stack of things i need to deal with my main short term goal is to get out more and just start doing anything!... im staying in 90% of the time... main reason being i think PAWs is kicking in on top of already bad anxiety (which has rocketed since i stopped drinking)...
i guess i'm unsure if i should be forcing myself out more due to how ill and sapped of any energy i feel ... but on the other hand i don't want to let myself hide in the house so much that it spirals beyond repair.
when i finally work up the energy to leave the house i get so panicky, i feel in a complete dream like state, my vision is impaired, i walk into things, i'm twitchy and really irritable around people (i want people around one second then not the next- plus im sure i'm often visually twitchy to them which starts an endless train of thought analysing all my physical actions!)... so it's hard to know how much to push myself.... i never had problems with situational anxiety in the past and didn't have most of these feelings before i quit drinking this time round... just wondered/ wanted reassurance if it was common i guess.

also i just started on antabuse and camprosate and wondered anyones feelings/experiences with these.... (i hope its ok to talk about these?)

thanks for listening, sorry thoughts are all over the joint..... ha!
hope eveyone's well

over and out

tessie
Old 07-30-2009, 10:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

I didn't take any meds when I got sober, so I can't speak to that part.. but I do want to welcome you!
Old 07-30-2009, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!
Hi and welcome to SR....

I took campral when i first stopped drinking... but to be honest i couldnt tell if they were doing anything (good or bad) so i decided not to take them... plus it was suggested to take them for up to a year..
I was never very good at taking prescribed medication... and there was no real point for me taking them...
I use counselling to help me... and SR aswell...

I always had anxieties before i gave up drinking... well it was more wheni was not drinking... so nothing has changed now... i just have to push myself alittle to get out there into the world... and i use breathing exercises if i start to panci...
You need to judge what is right for you... but keep in mind... this isall still very new to you... and physically you need to rest... baby steps!!!!!

Anyway... wanted to say hi and welcome you

be well
louis
Old 07-30-2009, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi tessie

finding a balance between taking care of yourself and isolating can be hard - if I find myself avoiding necessary things or responsibilities, I know I've gone too far.

I see you already know about PAWs and the emotional and physical upheaval of early sobriety - it does get better I promise LOL.

and I've never used those meds either - sorry!

D
Old 07-30-2009, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
jimbo

from reading posts by others and what it was like for me,i think the norm is feel great for a week then the bottom drops out of your life ,you tend to cut yourself from everyone connected to drinking and after a month things steadily improve till after a couple of months you feel great

cant give you any advice on the meds i never took any

welcome to SR Tessie

dont have a drink Tessie

or it could turn messie
Old 07-30-2009, 03:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

teehee yeah messie tessie is no more!!

that all confirms a lot of dubious thoughts for me.... thanks a lot!

meds time will tell... prefer to keep them to a minimum to be honest so we'll see what magic is install or i may skip them.. (after a good go)

operation 'escape the house' is under way.... went for a meal to see my best friend tonight, couldn't really get enjoyment out of any of it (not through lack of her trying bless her)...... but hey i'm kicking my ass into doing it so that's a start i guess... just a case of waiting this anxiety/icky sickness out!
our table got offered free shots of vodka (friend went an interesting shade of pink)... i do not recall that ever happening to me before... i hope that this cloud of irony continues to follow me around just to keep me entertained

hope everyone is doing good.
xtessiex
Old 07-30-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am taking Naltrexone for Alcohol cravings and I am very pleased with the results. People who have been prescribed both say it works better than Camprosate. It stops all physical cravings and more importantly mitigates obsessive thinking. No side effects and non-addictive too. It doesn't address Anxiety though.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

PAWS, they last from 12-24 months Mine finally got better after 18months.

However, I did use citaophram(anti-anxiety) for around two months to get over

the hump. Yeah at the time me and people did not mix at all. Those situations

made me feel ummm homocidal. It helped me to realise that it wasn't me but

just the withdrawls. Your on the right track. If you have to stay

inside with those curlers so be it you are still drying out.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

haha! yeah it is a wonder that that the vodka rep is still wandering the streets ... and many that have crossed my path the last few weeks, i hear swine flu may get them all soon though ..

thanks firehazard i've got my curlers, knitting my unfortunate friends, and a book i'm trying to write to keep me in check for a while til' i feel more sane.... thanks for the reminder about it being withdrawal too..... i know it but i need to keep reminding myself for some reason

thinking on it i'm really not sure yet the effect the campral/antabuse are having.. too soon to say i think... anxiety and obsessive thinking combined are my worst issues though so i will look into it.....

ta!
xtx