Notices

I'm so very disappointed in myself, why did I do this??

Old 07-30-2009, 07:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
AstroGirl, welcome to SR!

TC, I can't add anything to what's already been shared. I'm in my 4th year and with the grace of God I won't ever feel it necessary to take a drink again. But I've seen countless people in the rooms of AA pick up again after years of sobriety. Those same people have come back and found long-term recovery, with or without the presence and blessings of their spouses.

You know what to do.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

No forgivness required.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by smynthia View Post
Still, I feel like ****, all that time wasted.

How is five years of hard work in recovery wasted time? I always wonder if we use our sobriety time as an actual measure of recovery or a tool to feed our ego.

Focus on what you've learned from this episode. Get back on track with the tools you've used in the past to succeed. You can do it.
Smynthia beat me to it. That was the one phrase that stood out in your entire post to me. Your 5 years is not wasted!! Nothing can "take that time away. You were sober for 5 years, nothing you did last night changes that fact. You also drank for one night, nothing can change that either. Where you go now is where your choices are. You can go back to the 5 years of "sober time" or continue the one night of drinnking. Look at both experiences, which path do you think is better to follow?

Learn from this experience. You were in an emotionally vunerable position with what is going on with your husband. Being in a place where alcohol is served was probably not the best choice. Meeting for coffee someplace might have been a better choice. Or being honest with your friend about your alcohol problem so she could support you rather than unintentionally (I'm assuming) tempting you. If you don't feel comfortable sharing that with her, she's probably not the person you should be hanging out with when you are in an emotional state, having just asked your husband for a divorce.

Just understand where you are and where you want to be, and take the steps needed to get there. If you are going through a divorce, there will be a lot of emotional times ahead of you. You are going to need support and ways to deal with these emotions other than drinking. Do you attend AA or another support group? There are groups for people going through divorce that can be helpful. If you are in AA, your sponsor should be your rock. A theripist can also be helpful to help you deal with things.

Just remember, one night of drinking did not erase 5 years of sobriety. Sure, if you are in AA, you can pick up a white chip and start counting all over again, but the only sober day that really matters is TODAY. As long as you are always sober TODAY, all will be well. Take care.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

5 years of sobriety is so compelling to me it makes me realize i know very little about this desease of addiction. I am only 4 months sober an to hear these stories of people with years of sobriety slipping up is shocking. What I would give for 5 years of sobriety I dont know, but dont hang your head or wallow in shame, get back up an do another 5 years.

YOU CAN DO IT AGAIN , Thanks for sharing
Old 07-30-2009, 09:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Sobriety in technicolor

Why did you do it? Because you're an alcoholic - it's what we do.

((HUG))

What would you tell a sponsee in this situation? You know the answer, but it's hard to see through the shame. Forgive yourself, as you would a fellow friend in recovery.

Your experience will surely be helpful to someone else some day. Keep coming back.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hello Tazman, you stated,
"I am going to make a few assumptions here by reading between the lines, PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.

1. You got sober using AA originally.
2. You quit praying.
3. You quit going to meetings.
4. You quit calling your sponsor or others in the fellowship.
5. You got drunk."

All true except that I have NEVER stopped praying. Thank You for your great post and Support.

Astrogirl you stated,

"tallcactus - one drunk to another - I had three years and for no apparent reason at all I split a beer with a friend. I doubt I have to tell you the story from there. I had no cravings the next morning, I wasn't hung over, I didn't beat myself up . . . and within a month I was just where I left off AND it has been harder to climb out of this one month than it was two climb out of two years of drinking daily. Just the experience of one drunk to another, hoping your lesson comes more easily than mine."
Thank you, I needed to hear that. I would love to PM you sometime.

Tyler (My son is named the same.) Thanks you you post, great advice and sopport too.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It's already been said, but I'll say it again:

Five years is astounding... and a complete polar opposite of 'time wasted'...

A relapse is a relapse.

Not the be all and end all of recovery.

Congratulations on all you've achieved and for bouncing back so swiftly.

You have so much to be proud of and your success gives me (a new person to recovery) hope for the future.