Notices

How did you tell them?

Old 07-27-2009, 04:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sunshine I know it seems hard as heck to just tell people one has quit drinking, but I have found that the more open and honest I am that when they say "The truth will set you FREE!" it is very true!

One important thing you will find is REAL friends support one when they need it. If you tell a real friend you have quit drinking and why, they will support you, they will come up with things to do that do not involve drinking.

Drinking buddies are just that and to be honest, they are no lose. I have found a ton of real freinds, sober friends in AA that do tons of things that do not involve drinking.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Heathen

I stopped hanging out with my drinking buddies, we had little else in common. If I happened to see them and they asked why I wasn't at the bar anymore, I simply told them I quit drinking.

Anyone who tried to tell me I should have, or that I didn't have a problem, or encouraged me to have 'just one', was and is toxic to my life and threatening to my sobriety, and definitely not someone who cares for my well being.

Plus, now that I don't drink, I have no reason to hang out in bars or around drinkers.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone! On saturday, I told people that I wasn't going out, no way, not after the S*** show that was friday...and I had a little peer pressure, but not as much as I expected - only one person came and banged on my door and tried to actively drag me out. I felt like I was missing out on fun, but then yesterday morning when I woke up after an awesome 10 hour sleep, I was a lot happier with myself.

So.. let's see if I can keep this up.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

my social life is in recovery...just as I am
Old 07-27-2009, 02:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I found new outlets as well, my drinking buddies continued to get in touch w/me for awhile but I found them to be really boring once I got sober so I completely cut them out of my life. The most persistant 1, I just sent him an email explaining that I needed and wanted a new life for myself and he wasn't to be part of it.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey SP. Welcome to SR

Here's a link to thread that is similar to the one you have going here.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ll-people.html
Old 07-27-2009, 03:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ken, thank you so much for that link! It was very helpful, and the comment about the bruises hits home - I feel like I've been hiding mine forever. I'm tired of it.