Notices

I'm on the Sobriety Train

Old 07-25-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm on the Sobriety Train

... I have my ticket and the train has left the station!

I tried to moderate. It was semi-successful, but not successful enough (2 out of 3 times is not good enough). I don't want to drink anymore. My body has had enough alcohol abuse. I want to respect it, respect myself instead of trying to make alcohol fit into my life. There is no room for it anymore.

I went to a bar this week with a friend. It was a nice bar, but overall the experience of drinking out with people was disgusting. My friend is married and I am divorced, but all these inebriated guys were coming over to us and tried talking to us. I was really grossed out with the leaning in too close, slurring words, etc. Here I am trying to moderate, so I ordered some food to go with my wine. One of the guys hitting on me says, "Don't order food --- it just gets in the way of the buzz!" All I could think was, "Are you serious?" It made me realize that I don't want to be one of these people, hanging out at bars, chasing a buzz, etc.

My life has a lot of purpose and meaning with my kids, my job, my family, my puppy, my hobbies. I have my health, too, but fear that I will lose that if I continue to drink. My body is telling me to stop, in more ways than one, and I need to listen to it.

I want to be a non-drinker. I am a little worried about how I am going to handle this in all situations. With friends, with people I know who have known me as a drinker, a wine lover, etc. I'm thinking I just need to take each situation as it comes instead of sitting here trying to figure everything out all at once. I know I can count on you guys for advice when tricky situations come up. I want so badly to be a non-drinker for the rest of my life and to never have to worry about this stuff again.

I have joined the Class of July 2009 and hope others join in to support each other.

Laura
Old 07-25-2009, 11:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Hi Laura!
I am happy that you have made the choice that is right for you!
When I first got sober, I was bummed about the thought that I would never be able to enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, go to wine tastings, etc. But you know what? I really do not miss it. Food is just as good without wine. And the truth of the matter is that, alcohol is not going anywhere, I can go back anytime I choose. I just choose not to today.
My husband (who is a normie) said to me a couple of months ago. I (menaing him) have experienced every stop on the scale of inebriation. I don't need to feel any of that again. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
He used to party a lot in his 20's and is one of those people that just grew out of it. He is right. So mI try to look at it like that. I have experienced all of that already. Now I am on to new and different sober experiences. I do not regret the past or wish to shut the door on it but I also am not interested in ever revisiting it.
Today, I do not belong in a bar. Unless there is good reason to be there. Like tonight for instance. My grand sponsor's husband (also in recovery) and his band are playing at a local bar tonight. I may or may not go but I do know that if I do go, the sober group of us will be the ones having the most fun.
Have a great weekend!!!!
Old 07-25-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

TTOSBT -- So helpful and right on target for me. Thanks for your post. I was thinking a lot of the same things that you said and your husband, too. Been there, done that. Time to move on. Thanks for the inspiration!

Laura
Old 07-25-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You don't need no ticket, you just hop on board...Great ride, beautiful scenery, no destination just an incredible journey. I just now hit 4 months and my life has never been better (except exploring a trial seperation, but that's another story. As far as not drinking around other drinkers such as family and friends, I just socialize, not isolate,and just don't drink. If its going to be a big bash or a event where the primary purpose is drinking, versus as an adjunct to something else, like a birthday party, I generally excuse myself. If people ask me why I'm not drinking or can I buy you a drink, I just say I'm not drinking for health reasons, very true. My brother in law said I was more fun sober than drunk,I just replied,funny,you're not. Its all good even the tough spots. I have my life and freedom back. In sobriety I realized what a prisoner I had become tomy drinking. Glad to have you here, keep coming back.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JJB

Hi laura
Wow so determined!
I'll join the July class with you-we can sit together and compare notes.
I was in the May class and then the June class!
Here's hoping I'll stay in this one-i've now gone past two weeks of no drinking at all
I'm going to my second aa meeting tomrrow-it is another tool which helps to keep me sober I think
Old 07-25-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Laura,

I am glad to hear that you are ready for a sober life!

There is SO much hope beyond drinking, and you can do this!
Old 07-25-2009, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One day at a time.

I was known as being a hardcore drinker. No one want's to know you when the sh*t hits the fan.

I would much rather be known as a recovering alcoholic than be seen as an alcoholic.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hi Laura.

We are all here for your encouragement and support.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a good call Laura,

hugs
D
Old 07-25-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome Laura, good for you
Old 07-25-2009, 04:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Laura, Yeah, a good decision. I feel like TTOSBT in that the wine or whatever will always be there, I just choose not to drink it today.

I'll join the Class of July 2009 too. I had my last drink the night of July 15 and I am already feeling sooooo much better about sooooo many things.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Laura! No advice here, just wanted to say how glad I am to see you again!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Laura!
Old 07-25-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Girl, good for you!! I bet there are a lot of us here knew then what we know now. Glad you're here and as well, just think how much healthy you'll feel? God knows I feel the difference, LOL!!!
Old 07-25-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Originally Posted by traderjane View Post
My body is telling me to stop, in more ways than one, and I need to listen to it.
I hear you! I understand.

I have joined the Class of July 2009 and hope others join in to support each other.
Same here....glad to see you posting in the July thread. Welcome Laura!
Old 07-25-2009, 08:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

great decision you made laura hope to hear more from your story soon and congrats on your new sobriety!
Old 07-25-2009, 09:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can 'hear' the resolve in your post, good for you! Glad you're here. Welcome from another east coast-er
Old 07-26-2009, 09:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

TTOSBT -- So helpful and right on target for me. Thanks for your post. I was thinking a lot of the same things that you said and your husband, too. Been there, done that. Time to move on. Thanks for the inspiration!

Laura
I am so glad that what I said was helpful.
As I was rereading your post, I wanted to say that you are on the right track. You do not need to figure ANYTHING out beyond today. Just for today, right?
I will leave you with a couple other tidbits I have picked up over the last year or so.
You can do anything you want, just don't F^*drink, no matter what.
And no matter what else happens today, if you did not drink, it was a successful day.
I just have always thought this was kinda cool, ya know? Even if I feel ****** at the end of the day and it was just an overall icky day, if I did not drink today, I have reason to celebrate
PM anytime if you need hug or any encouragement!
Old 07-26-2009, 09:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome back
Old 07-26-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hooray!! Glad to have you back on the sober train Its a beautiful ride!