Notices

Temptation

Old 07-25-2009, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Temptation

Today I went to a local festival, it goes on for 3 days and has all sorts of things there. Its more like a huge fete than anything. We wandered round and admired various heavy horses and birds of pray, looked at all the craft stalls and then OH decided he wanted an Ice cream. The van was next to a rather large beer tent. We sat down and munched on the Ice creams and I said it was a bit mean sitting where we were, so OH said I'll go and get you a half if you want (knowing full well that I am trying to curb my drinking!!!) So I said 'no thanx, cos if I do then I will only want more later'. I AM SO CHUFFED WITH MYSELF. The only trouble is I have the little voice muttering in my head now and its annoying the ar$e off me I know I can beat this. It would be nice if I could just have the one of an evening now and then but not yet, maybe never.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hang in there, bobee.

I've been avoiding situtations where I might be tempted to indulge. If I'm surrounded by it I go somewhere else.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gree, I know that feeling of "it would be nice...", I've especially noticed it when I've been out to an event, and it seems like everyone else has a drink in hand/at their table/etc. I've posted this before, but I think it's appropriate again; what I've done when I get that feeling is think to myself "now, will having a drink really enhance this moment at all? Would it really change anything for the better?" and so far, and I have really wracked my brain when the temptation has been strong, I always come up with "no, not at all". The first few times, it really felt like I was forcefully training my brain to go with the "no" option; to force the realization that the situation was perfectly fine/just as fun without drinking. Lately, I haven't felt the forced feeling at all (like I was trying to convince myself), and have more naturally been able to come to the conclusion that whatever the situation was, it was in fact better without drinking. lol - this is particularly easy if there are other people around not handling their own drinking too well and either failing or simply being ridiculous.

As for alone-time cravings..... that can certainly be a different game. The best suggestion I've been given is "go for a walk". Even if it's just around the block. After that, getting online and posting here, or chatting, seems to be excellent medicine

Best wishes!
Old 07-25-2009, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Festivals are killers, but you did it! Congratulations and keep it up!
Old 07-25-2009, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey beebo
you stared it down today - thats what matters
Worry about tomorrow when it gets here.

Well done
D