Notices

getting better...

Old 07-24-2009, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

getting better...

You may recall my post a couple weeks ago about how I was fearing an 'event' coming up in which I would usually always drink and get wasted. Basically the people I live with have gone away on holiday and thus I am all alone with no-one to answer to but me.

Now that I have finally reached the point in which I really detest booze and what it turns me into and basically realise that drinking is not an option for me anymore and have learned a hell of alot about alcoholism through SR and AA then I made sure that I was prepared. I have been drinking rather a lot of Coca-cola and fruit juice's and chocolate and have just eaten a "real" nice chicken madras curry . Basically I realise that when I get thoughts about drinking, which happens quite frequently especially when listening to my music, then I will crack a can of Coca-cola or have a cup of tea and by the time I have had them then the thought of drinking has dissapeared.

My mate has been round today and we have played a lot of Xbox360 and went out for a while and I was telling him about my total sobriety and that I attend AA meetings.

Basically I am just writing this to say that I am making progress as I have not got drunk today, which previously I would have been out the door to buy booze as soon as I awoke this morning to an empty house. And you know what? It feels great!!!!

One day at a time
Old 07-24-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

WOO HOO!!!!!!!! Kick @ss!!!!

And by the way curry + chicken = a very happy stomach.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It does feel great. It is great. It's awakening to life after the sleep walking of addiction. Like in the Matrix we awaken suddenly to find our drunken lives were in reality just drunken lies.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great!

I'm glad things are going well!
Old 07-24-2009, 03:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really happy to hear that neo - keep it up mate

D
Old 07-24-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds great!

then I will crack a can of Coca-cola or have a cup of tea and by the time I have had them then the thought of drinking has dissapeared.
McDonald’s strawberry shakes do it for me. Strawberry Sundays in more trying moments
Old 07-24-2009, 05:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you! Sounds like you're doing great.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done. Every day sober is a wonderful gift. Staying grateful is one of the tricks of staying sober.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

Awsome, keep the plug in the jug!! Chocolate is great but I would warn against to much sugar and caffine. They can stimulates a fear response in the Central Nervous System which can be a trigger for some.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awesome Neo! Fat free frozen yogurt cones do it for me
Old 07-24-2009, 11:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

M&Ms were my saving grace. Good for you!
Old 07-25-2009, 03:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for your responses. I have just awoken feeling 'fresh as a dasiy' and had an ice-cold chocolate milkshake. Tasted great and I am feeling really great about my state of mind at the moment. I would say that for me personally the situation I am in at the moment is the most challenging I am likely to be in for the most part with regards to past behaviour and oppurtunity to just get wasted, I could have literally drank solid for 2 weeks (and probably would have done) certainly in the past. I would have certainly been drinking/drugging now without a doubt and trying to stave off the hangover/comedown with increasing levels of drink. Crazy!

I am beginning to see what people say about realising why you'd ever wan't to drink/drug again as I am beginning to see that all that insanity that I accepted as just being 'normal' and part of the 'experience' I never have to experience again.

I am planning another chilled day today and my mates coming round later and we are gonna have an xbox360 sesh and are having yet more Curry for dinner. I am having chicken vindaloo, rice, naan bread and poppodums tonight. I developed a "LOVE" for all things really hot and spicy curry during my binge-drinking days.
It's funny because I never really had curry without beer and getting drunk, I used to think it wouldn't be possible to enjoy it as much without already being half-cut and drinking lager with it. But I have found that to be totally untrue, I am beginning to see that my drinking was completely abnormal and something that probably only a tiny-few percentage of people actually drink like I did, I used to think that a lot of people drank like I did.

Anyway, hers to a sober Saturday.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I also had the fear that my favorite foods wouldn't taste as good without beer or wine with them. I've found the opposite to be true- I taste them *better* than I used to. And many things are at least as enhanced, or whatever, with water and lemon or lime.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Food and favorite beverage? Who had time or appetite while seriously drinking.I found it dulled the effect of the booze and after awhile my digestive system couldn't handle anything but alcohol. Now,sober, I eat like a horse.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I didn't eat Italian food for a over a year after I got sober because I couldn't imagine it with out my favorite wine, when I finally did have my pasta it was definetly more enjoyable w/o the dang wine!